Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: losikid's anorexic 2012-2013 comp rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default losikid's 2012-2013 comp rig

Over the past few months i've been collecting (at a great expense) many parts for this years comp rig, i figured to keep up with a moa i gotta actually use a moa budget.

The largest weight savings will be swapping to a carbon fiber phoenix chassis, all aluminum hardware, ti links, and alot of gram pinching elsewhere. Also, if holmes gets the new outrunners in, i'll be testing a stubby version which should drop my motor weight almost 3oz

I'm also working on a new front axle setup, trying to intergrate super bully axles

First up on this list is getting the rear axle and tranny rebuilt and given a overkill fmj job (brass inserts), i think the pros outweigh the cons by a long shot. A fmj does more than fix stripped threads, nest to insane clamping power the best advantage is that it makes the part more rigid. In the axles this keeps the axle from warping/twisting under power, which prevents the worms from binding and causing unnecessary where and eats gobs of power. I don't have enough time on the tranny to know what it all helps with, but since only 3 holes are used on the phoniex skid, the extra holding power helps.

I'll have pics and info up on my rear axle and tranny in the next couple of days...stay tuned

Last edited by losikid; 12-01-2012 at 07:20 PM.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: losikid's anorexic 2012-2013 comp rig

Man you've got some bad ass plan, can't wait to see what you'll come with

For sure fmj mod is a must have, my rear axle with plastic lockout don't flex at all! The front does flex sometimes under heavy bind but seems that you have other plan for your front end what axle width are you working on?

Last edited by AlexG; 06-20-2012 at 02:05 AM.
AlexG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
Got Worms?

I'm using stock housings...i'm dreaming up ultra lightweight super housings right now though, i need to sit down someday in cad and get them modeled and see if i can figure out the stress analysis program

The bully axles add aton of length to the stub axle (.5", 1" total compared to stock), But i'll just adjust my hubs to keep my scrub down. I still want to keep it fairly narrow to squeeze through gates
Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I don't know what half of that first post said, but I am interested to watch. make us shafties proud
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Nice! Been waiting. I need pictures!
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:57 AM   #6
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Nice! Been waiting. I need pictures!
those little parts here and there add insane amounts of delay's in shipping.

I've been waiting on a new trans housing for the past two weeks, i finally called the lhs and they said it was backordered and the forgot to call me So i have it coming from an online store now along with aluminum gear shafts, dig shaft, and output drives So i should have my tranny stuff end of the week

I'm still undecided how to make the skid as light as possible, right now i'm thinking of getting it milled down so its 1/16" thick on the bottom and use spacers to push my tranny up, or try and figure out how to try and drop my tranny and not cause a weak point in the chassis
Old 06-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
Defy Gravity

a full fmj on the trans definitely helps things out. the front gear cover/outer idler shaft holder (if you're hacking the gear cover up) gets a fair amount of abuse over time. depending on your trans maintenance cycles, you can notice the screws starting to wallow pretty quickly (keep in mind i tear mine down very often compared to many) the front plate to inner housing holes can take a beating in time as well. with my trans, i did the full fmj last summer, and i haven't had any hiccups with it yet. the ability to tighten the trans housings down tightly lets you truly beat the snot out of the thing....it laughed at 4s with the stock molded gears still.

the fmj is a real boost to anyone that runs a losi competitively, as losikid stated. the axle case flex is GREATLY reduced. they take power in stride, and the strength of link mounts, shark fin, etc, is greatly improved by this simple mod. when i started getting into my own parts, the stresses created by the fin and my front axle plate during falls tore the losi plastic to shreds in days. since installing the inserts, i have not had a single problem with anything. the assemblies stay tight, and the larger threaded area in the plastics holds far better than a 4-40 thread.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
Got Worms?

So i got inserts done in both my front and rear axle housings ...brand new housings

I also made myself some insert drill bushings...makes drilling the holes the perfect depth alot less time consuming. I took 1/4" delrin tube and drilled them out with their matching bit, then cut them so they bottomed out on the drill chuck jaws when the drill bit was bottomed out in the drill. Then pull the drill bit out 1/4" and put your bushing/spacer on over it. So a perfect 1/4" deep hole everytime.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
Defy Gravity

now that's just cheating way to make a tedious job (and that's coming from me) easier
Old 06-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
now that's just cheating way to make a tedious job (and that's coming from me) easier
More than easier almost noob proof...with only masking tape as a depth indicator, you gotta have alot of patience with a hand drill. A drill press is easier compared to a hand drill, but this setup just drill and go. Makes nice clean, straight holes. It takes more time to swap out bits than it does to drill out holes in the axle...i may give a shot at only two drill sizes to get it drill to proper depth with the new method.

Cheating...

Also, the bully axle conversion is getting close, they'll definitely fit. But i don't recommend using plastic c's
Old 06-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
Defy Gravity

masking tape...i didn't even use that and drilled it with one bit too, have some skills with a hand drill. and i'm thinking of using the salvaged parts still when i get to the conversion to super bully's, meaning a brass c made to spec. i may keep the tubes at stock width and use the bully knuckles as you pointed out, but going to try sleeving the axles.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #12
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
masking tape...i didn't even use that and drilled it with one bit too, have some skills with a hand drill. and i'm thinking of using the salvaged parts still when i get to the conversion to super bully's, meaning a brass c made to spec. i may keep the tubes at stock width and use the bully knuckles as you pointed out, but going to try sleeving the axles.
You won't be able to sleeve it on the inside, the bully shafts have some girth to them, i'll post up comparison pics once i tear my front axle apart.

A different c might work better than a stock one, if done right...but i think a different knuckle would make the conversion much easier...if i still had access to a cnc i'd be milling out new knuckles right now...hell even a manual mill i'd probably machine out new knuckles than grinding on them for hours on end with a dremel
Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
Defy Gravity

not sleeving the inside, running it on the outside. i knew it would be near impossible to sleeve the inside with an axle swap.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #14
Got Worms?

So, i got tranny parts today, fmj'd it, and it has all aluminum shafts and outputs, aluminum slipper eliminator, otherwise plastic gears. 2 of the 4 nuts are aluminum...i only have aluminum mini nuts. and steel hardware as i don't have aluminum cap heads currently, but they will be on it soon. I Also have all brand new bearings from the lcc TeamFastEddy bearing kit. Also, instead of doing a light coating of grease this build, i gave everything a nice coat of CowRC MOO-Slick

Comes out to 80 grams or 2.75oz
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2012, 02:23 AM   #15
Got Worms?

Here's the rear axle....all brand new plastic, fmj job, dlux chromoly worm with used/broke in spool, new shafts and spacers, team fast eddy bearings, and some dlux oversized hex pins. In the near future i'd also like to get some hulksta ti rear shafts.

I had new wheel nuts too, but i ordered 6mm

Comes out to 142 grams (5oz)...i wonder how much ti axles and alum hd would bring it down? Although i'm not too concerned at the moment with axle weight.

I just realized, i don't have them on the axle currently, but i have some dlux rear holders weight holders which will have 1/2 of a .3" ring bolted to each side to help with descants.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2012, 03:22 AM   #16
Got Worms?

I've had these built for awhile, but here's the wheels and tires i'll be running.

Dlux Wheels (1.25" wide) with Carbon Fiber V cut faces...i don't know hub offsets currently

and the tires are Crawler Innovations Khaos tires with DD foams (closed cell inners and i think medium outers, both front and rear)

Comes out to 689 grams (1lb 8.25oz)
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2012, 03:38 AM   #17
Got Worms?

I'm digging through my losi parts boxes, i've got enough parts to build 4 losi's, 3 of them would be running with elec's, the other would be a roller. Is this a good or bad thing?

Anyone know of a good thread/post on building traxxas big bores...i need to get some oil in em soon, i bought some rpm dual stage pistons i'm gonna try with them and i want to make sure i build em right so they don't cause issues with the pistons. All i've built before are bottom feeder losi shocks. I want to pull the snap rings off so i can put new o-rings and some shock grease in em, but i'm not sure if the stock setup leaks or now
Old 06-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

My stock big bores havent leaked a drop in 6 months of use.
relic68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Looks like she's gonna be a worker. Be keeping a close eye on this fo sho
Eventually i'll put in the al stuff in the tranny and hd worms i had for about 6 months now. XR has taken up a lil time (and $$$), but i still love my LCC. It's like putting on your fav pair of slippers
losiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #20
Got Worms?

So tonight i've started to put together my chassis, got my tranny mounted and my dig linkage and micro servo mount made. As it sits now i'm at 205 grams

OverkillRC Carbon Fiber Phoenix chassis
Front lower links = Bent Lunsford ti lcc links
Rear lower links = custom made DLUX ti links.
And i'm using a Micro savox servo (0256) for my dig servo.
Attached Images

losikid's anorexic 2012-2013 comp rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Comp Rig build done XR/Mantis mgauger Axial XR10 50 04-17-2012 07:22 AM
SCRCC Comp 2012 Series Comp #5 @ Falls Park March 4th, 2012 ittybitty Competitions 133 03-14-2012 09:32 AM
My 2012 1.9 comp rig mgauger Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 8 01-10-2012 06:09 AM
2012 Poison Dart comp rig poncho_ponch Axial AX-10 Scorpion 14 01-07-2012 01:07 PM
losikid's losi comp crawler losikid Team Losi Comp Crawler 136 09-03-2011 09:40 PM