Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: LNC Seach for increase speed and good torque

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #1

Default LNC Seach for increase speed and good torque

I have stock LNC motor and ESC and have run it for about a year. Now looking to upgrade with HH Torque Master BR-XL and HH Crawlmaster Pro 540/20t running on 2S Lipo with 20t pinion.

Is this a good combination to get better speed --- with good crawling torque? Is the pinon size ok or should I decrease it to say 16/17?
YNPpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: LNC Seach for increase speed and good torque

According to the Holmes website that motor is a 1500KV motor. That is about the same max rpm as the stock 35T Losi motor, although I would expect the Holmes motor to have better torque. I had a 1450KV Holmes motor in my LNC with a 21-tooth pinion. It had good, but not great, wheel speed. There were times when I felt I needed more torque. If you are sure you are going to stay with a 2s battery, there is no need to change out the stock ESC. I used mine for almost 2 years and changed it out only because I wanted to go 3S. I went with 3s and dropped the pinion to a 16-tooth for more torque and better wheel speed. Jerry

Last edited by jgrim; 01-07-2013 at 02:13 PM.
jgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

go brushless and 3s

I run 13.5 motor, MMP, 3s , 15T pinion, HD worms
This is good combo for all around running /bashing

If your gonna comp with the rig, do the same but with a 17.5 motor

Oh yeah, Hot Racing metal tranny gears gonna be a must have!
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

You can go wild and crazy and get the new Tekin Roc 412 sensored brushless motor. Even on 2S it has quite a bit more wheel speed and definitely more torque.
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Stay away from novak!!!!!!
minicrawlerguy530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

like gijoe said, 17.5 with 3s. that's been my setup for over a year, plenty of extra speed.
kbogger81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
RCC Addict

What the others said: If you want significantly more (doubled or better) wheel speed you need to go brushless.

Suggested order of upgrades (if you can't afford it all at once):
1. Replace the ESC with CC Max Mamba Pro. If you order a brand new you'll get a coupon for a free CastleLink USB-adapter with it, so don't order one separately.
Remember to reprogram the ESC before hooking it to a brushed motor! (It's set for BL by default, and can easily be destroyed if you try to run brushed on that setting.)

2. Replace the front (and possibly rear) worm drive with the HD variant.

3. Replace the motor with a sensored BL.
Tekin ROC 412, 2300Kv, would be my preferred high end ($140) choice right now. Tekin RS 17.5T (or 13.5T, both 1st gen) would be the middle ($80) way and the TrackStar 17.5T I actually use is the cheap ($35) option.

4. Upgrade the gearbox to steel gears.

5. Increase battery voltage.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #8

thanks all!! So I'm considering either the MMP or HH Torque master BR-XL for an ESC and the Tekin redline 17.5t. I like the powerful BEC in the HH 6v/5a to run my Hitec 7955TG. Is there any advantage to the MMP over the HH? The MMP BEC is weaker at 6v/3a. I will upgrade the worm gears to HD both front and back.

Where can I get good upgrade parts for the gear box's? Or the Stock gears that bad or should I wait to wear them out?

So bottom line will this setup be a bit quicker with better crawling (good slow speed control and torque) than the LNC stock?

great help to get me aimed in the right direction!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

the br-xl won't work, its not sensored. the mmp is a stout esc you'll just need a bec, the castle bec voltage can be changed with a castle link which you'll have with the mmp. as far as the gears i use the stock plastic since its a cheap weak link, as long as you have the pinion mesh right they should last a long time. with the right pinion you'll have plenty if wheel speed and slow speed control.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I have a HH Crawlmaster 16T with the BRXL on a 14 tooth pinion and 3s. A little more overall top speed but thats mostly limited bc of the pinion. Gobs of torque though, standing still on a flat surface it will lift one of the front tires when i punch it. Its butter smooth too. I highly recommend HH the BRXL is stupid easy to program.

**Edit, I also went with the HD gearset as well, they provide a little less reduction at the axles.
SHOtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNPpro View Post

Where can I get good upgrade parts for the gear box's? Or the Stock gears that bad or should I wait to wear them out?
Being that my LNC has been converted to a scaler, my driving style is different. I tend to run trails for long distance at high speed, through mud and hill climbs. Thus, I have a tendancy to shock the drivetrain alot. I NEEDED metal trans gears! Lol

If you are comping with a more deliberate, smooth and finesed style, plastic gears may hold up.

But I have found with proper greasing and maintenance, once you replace the tranny gears with metal, there are no more weak links!

Here are the HR gears

Losi Night Crawler Steel Center Gear Set SNCR1000T | eBay
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Hot racing products offers the HD gears for 29.99 I think. And some other upgrade stuff.
minicrawlerguy530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #13

Ok I have decided on the MMP 1/10, 10amp CC BEC, and the Tekin redline 17.5 motor. I will also upgrade the worm gears and tranny gears. This should meet my needs nicely and make the gear train sturdier--thanks for the excellent feedback to all.

I'm currently running the stock 20t pinion what recommendations do you have with the new setup that I'm going to on the LNC?

Lastly, I'm running using the stack radio? Would there be value for a non comp guy to upgrade the radio and why? If so what do you all recommended?

cheers
Old 01-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #14

After being new to the LCC myself and messing with a few combos, you made a good decision. It's a pretty good recipe for an all around well balanced plug-n-play LCC/LNC. I'd pick up a 12T and 14T, start with the 12T and bump up if you want a little more wheel speed. Play with the stock radio after you've got your setup together. The MMP will give you adjustability for power application (not as quickly set as throttle expo on a new radio, but quickly adjustable never the less)... If you're happy with everything else on the radio, you're golden.
crashinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:58 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashinaz View Post
... I'd pick up a 12T and 14T, ...
I disagree. ~14T is the choice for an LCC tranny, while the Night Crawler use larger pinions.
The 20T pinion is a good starting point for the Night Crawler, and then you can adjust as required.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #16

You're right. Forgot he had a LNC. Cheers.
crashinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

if you're running 2s power the 20 tooth would be just fine. they say volt up gear down, so if you go 3s the 14 to 16 range would be more favorable.
i say this from experience, i have the exact setup as you and my motor or esc has never gotten hot running 3s and a 14 tooth pinion.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #18

Ok got mmp pro and 17.5 redine tekin and 10amp cc bec. Mmp wires go from a to a etc on motor. Bec powers servo not esc. I I have stock losi lnc rtr
radio. When calibrating esc. I get flashing red with full throttle and flashing green with fully brake. The a series of beeps and then yellow and green solid and red flashing and continuous beeps. Any ideas?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #19
mrG
RCC Addict

When calibrating the order of my mmp is full throttle green, full break red, neutral yellow. Then they all flash and beeps. Double check ALL your wiring.
mrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #20
WAM
Rock Crawler

If you get a red light with fwd throttle you need to reverse motor direction on the transmitter. If you get reverse motion with forward throttle you need to reprogram motor direction on the MMP with a CastleLink.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote

LNC Seach for increase speed and good torque - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LNC Speed Control Issues blackboxfab Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 09-13-2010 09:45 PM
servo torque on lnc losikid Team Losi Comp Crawler 10 11-26-2009 11:14 PM
best way to increase wheel speed? 2004neonsrt4 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 05-10-2008 02:53 PM