Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Fun with 3D printers and Laser Cutters. A Losi Night Crawler for 2.2S class.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Fun with 3D printers and Laser Cutters. A Losi Night Crawler for 2.2S class.

So I am working on a new 2.2S rig for our up coming outdoor Series here in Massachusetts. I CAD'ed the beast up in Pro-E to get an idea of stance, link geometry and that stuff.

Instead of just diving in and starting to build I got the opportunity to Print the Chassis, Upper Link Mounts, and Front and Rear Deck with a 3D Printer (the parts in orange). I also had the opportunity to use a laser cutter so I mocked some of my links up using Laser Cut acrylic pieces (Al links except the rear lower).

It doesn't articulate for shit because there are no ball ends but it at least gives me an idea for stance and vertical travel.

Next steps are to continue to change out the printed and laser cut parts for real ones. There are aso going to be a coupe fun tricks. Stay Tuned!

BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Fun with 3D printers and Laser Cutters. A Losi Night Crawler for 2.2S class.

Nice man, all the orange what material is that?
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:36 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Fun with 3D printers and Laser Cutters. A Losi Night Crawler for 2.2S class.

That is absolutely awesome, lovin it much

Greetings Frank
Dr.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #4
Got Worms?

Its probably ABS....

My question is, will the shark fins hold up? and if a servo will mount up to that front plate.

Although, i do like the modeled losi axles...i've always meant to todo it, just never did it. What cad program are you using?
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Thanks Guys,

All the orange is ABS printed material. The machine deposits it in thin lines, like spaghetti.

I don't plan on using the most of the parts for the real rig but it was a quick easy way to check fit and everything. I do hope to use the chassis for the real rig, because it will be a pain in the A$$ if I have to machine it.

I used Pro-E to cad up the Losi Axles, they are not perfect but certainly close enough for designing a rig. Any one who wants the CAD can shoot me a PM.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Its probably ABS....

My question is, will the shark fins hold up? and if a servo will mount up to that front plate.

Although, i do like the modeled losi axles...i've always meant to todo it, just never did it. What cad program are you using?
Old 03-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

NC work. Sent you a PM requesting the CAD files for the LNC parts.
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Hey Man,

Check your email.

Hope to get some more work done on it in the next couple days.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

You've gone real creative with the printed parts, where's the rear driveshaft going, i don't see any room for it in de skid?
crawl rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
RCC Addict

The Rear drive shaft is going to be the Ace up my sleeve. It is a new concept I am trying and will either be awesome, or not work at all. I hope to get time to get it done this weekend. I will keep you posted.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Flex shaft?
Lukescb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukescb7 View Post
Flex shaft?
Old 03-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Sounds good, a lot of people have tried/looked at a flexible driveshaft but never really followed through. Well see...
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajey View Post
Sounds good, a lot of people have tried/looked at a flexible driveshaft but never really followed through. Well see...
I am not 100% confident but it is worth a shot.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I'm more than sceptical about the flex shaft but i will follow your progress with great interest
crawl rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I could see it working if you found one with the right strength to flexability ratio. I know they make them for rc boats. Im pretty sure i remember a losi with flex shafts.
Lukescb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #16
RCC Addict

So.... I got the flex shaft assembled. I think it is a little to "beefy". The losses rotating it when it is flexed are pretty high. Going to order some smaller guage cable and try again.

It is actually significantly lighter than the stock LCC axle.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by BC-Brian; 03-22-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Brian View Post
It is actually significantly lighter than the stock LNC axle.
That may or may not be true, but the drive shaft shown is not from a LNC, it's from a LCC. The LNC drive shaft is much smaller diameter and consequently lighter.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #18
RCC Addict

True, Thanks for the correction (post edited). I did not get the LNC shafts with my used setup. Any idea on their weight?
Old 03-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Just happen to have a loose one. This one weighs 26.2g but that includes the detached socket that adapts to the tranny, a thick rubber ring I use to retain the pin and a couple inches of masking tape keeping all my loose pieces together. Still heavier than your flexie, but closer.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Cool, Thanks for the info man.

Just ordered some 7/32" flex cable, the one shown above is 5/16". Hoping the new stuff will offer the flex I need without all the resistance to rotation. Will also be even lighter.

Fun with 3D printers and Laser Cutters. A Losi Night Crawler for 2.2S class. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here! Mad Dawg Team Losi Comp Crawler 355 05-14-2023 06:43 PM
My Class 3/ fun crawler calikrawler 2.2 Scale Rigs 4 09-20-2012 09:14 AM