Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Waggaclint's LCC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Waggaclint's LCC

Well after deciding to get another sportman, I decided id like to give a Losi a go & i found that Zeko was selling his very well built Losi, so it was hard to say no, overall im very happy with the rig as its bean put together very nicely (big thanks to Zeko)

Ive got a few plans in mind to make it as they say (my own rig) & im looking forward to knocking of some Axial based rigs as im the only one over in Perth that will be running Losi

Ill be running it this Sunday Comp so fingers crossed its debut will all go good.

Specs-

Y Town Crawler CF wheels, Running Losi Boss claw tyres (ill be changing tyres shortly)
4" traxxas big bore shocks with losi mini-t springs
Standard Chassis with cf shock towers
MIP driveshaft upfront and LNC in the rear
Gunnar body posts
BWD rear link mount
Lunsford ti links
Custom made CF servo/batt mount
Alloy Screws were possible
Tekin RS with 13.5T redline (14mm Hi-Torque Rotor fitted) on 3s lipos
Decased electrics CCBEC
Hitec 7950TH
Losi Alloy Front Spindles and Losi 20deg front hubs
Losi Heavy Duty worms in the front
Losi night crawler trans with reverse mount mod
Dlux Knuckle weights
Axial Hardline and Losi Grappler bodies
Also Planning on gettn a new CF Chassis some time later in the year

Last edited by waggaclint; 06-22-2013 at 02:12 AM.
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Waggaclint's LCC

Ahh so your the lucky bugger who got Zeke's sportsman. Nice car, well built and looks awesome. Ow and don't worry about those ax10 runners they just don't realise how cool the worm life is. . Good luck at the comp colgouts truck is looking pretty beast lately.

Last edited by pajey; 03-21-2013 at 02:30 PM.
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Cheers Pajey, yeah colgouts rig is a nice bit of kit...
Old 03-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

This is my 1st eva Losi as ive only run Axial based rigs before so its a bit differant i must say..

Anyway I got to run it yesterday for the 1st time & overall i was reasonably happy with it and came in around mid field (5th overall)for the Day..

For some reason i broke both rear lower link rod ends :doh: not sure why as i cant see any binding etc but no biggy, the biggest downfall is the steering (but hopefully soon ill have a fix for this with ghtpdm5 about to release his new setup) also id like a bit more punch/wheelspeed so i might look into gettn the Tekin 14.0mm rotor and see how that goes..

Also after running the last course of the day Highlucks worked out i was running my wheels wrong way round (backs on Front) so hopefully swapping them around will also help a little..

But overall i was pretty happy and hopefully me and the rig can only get better for the rest of season touch wood ill be keen to pick up the
SuDu One CF Chassis soon as well..

I also swapped over the a Losi RTR Body and i have a new Grappler coming in mail so i can paint it up to my liking..

Stay tuned for updates etc thoughout the year..

Last edited by waggaclint; 04-26-2013 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I'm only guessing on the rear lower link failures, but it looks like you're using Lunsford 4mm links and Losi rod ends. The Losi ends are designed for 4-40 thread so need to be drilled out to fit the 4mm. Brings up a few possibilities:

Maybe the ends have been weakened due to the drilling operation. Especially if the drilled hole came out too small, stressing the plastic. Or too big, thinning the wall.

The "bent" links cause forces to pass thru the ends at a slight side angle instead of straight thru, which is more prone to snapping the end.

If the problem persists, perhaps some custom links with robust Revo rod ends would be the fix. But I use the Lunsford / Losi combo too and am happy so far. On mine, the supplied drill bit for the ends was too large and the ends tended to pull off. Had to CA them.

That's a nice purchase. He built that fairly recently, right? Short attention span??

Last edited by Hardline; 03-25-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:02 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
I'm only guessing on the rear lower link failures, but it looks like you're using Lunsford 4mm links and Losi rod ends. The Losi ends are designed for 4-40 thread so need to be drilled out to fit the 4mm. Brings up a few possibilities:

Maybe the ends have been weakened due to the drilling operation. Especially if the drilled hole came out too small, stressing the plastic. Or too big, thinning the wall.

The "bent" links cause forces to pass thru the ends at a slight side angle instead of straight thru, which is more prone to snapping the end.

If the problem persists, perhaps some custom links with robust Revo rod ends would be the fix. But I use the Lunsford / Losi combo too and am happy so far. On mine, the supplied drill bit for the ends was too large and the ends tended to pull off. Had to CA them.

That's a nice purchase. He built that fairly recently, right? Short attention span??
Yeah im running the Lunsford links and as you said im thinking the drilling process had weakened them, ive fitted up Jato TRA5525 Rodends to them today hey so hopefully that problem is sorted..

And yeah the rig was a fairly new build, not sure why he sold it as he had 2 other rigs forsale as well (getting out of crawling all together i think?) but a Bonus for me

Last edited by waggaclint; 04-09-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:43 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggaclint View Post
Yeah im running the Lunsford links and as you said im thinking the drilling process had weakened them, ive fitted up Revo Rodends to them today hey so hopefully that problem is sorted..

And yeah the rig was a fairly new build, not sure why he sold it as he had 2 other rigs forsale as well (getting out of crawling all together i think?) but a Bonus for me
From talking with Zeke it wasnt an easy decision as such but he needed funds for a change of direction. He had to let something go and to go in the new direction and his crawlers were it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Oz Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:20 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Well i got my hands on a Tekin 13.5T and 14mm HI-Torque rotor (Thanks to Colgout ) anyway fitted up the rotor and installed to motor etc this morning and i must im pretty happy with the result

Overall it has given me more wheel speed and more punch, which is what i was looking for & the low end is still very smooth as well..

Ive got a Hotwire lined up as well so if i ever need to i can fine tune it some more..

Last edited by waggaclint; 03-30-2013 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Played around with my Hardline body a bit this morning and came up with this..

Old 04-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yeah im running the Lunsford links and as you said im thinking the drilling process had weakened them, ive fitted up Revo Rodends to them today hey so hopefully that problem is sorted..
Curious has to how you did that. I assume those are the same lunsford links I have with tapered ends. And they were sized for the Losi rodends which are a lot longer than Revo's. So are your links shorter now, or what did you do?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Curious has to how you did that. I assume those are the same lunsford links I have with tapered ends. And they were sized for the Losi rodends which are a lot longer than Revo's. So are your links shorter now, or what did you do?
Sorry my mistake I'm running the longer Jato TRA5525 rod ends not The Revo ones hey, the Jato ones screw straight on and are pretty well the same length as the Losi ones, I used them because I had a few lying around..

So far they have tested well, I've got a comp coming up on the 21st so ill see how they hold up..

Ill re-measure my wheel base tomorrow and post it up..

Last edited by waggaclint; 04-09-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Sorry my mistake I'm running the longer Jato TRA5525 rod ends not The Revo ones hey, the Jato ones screw straight on and are pretty well the same length as the Losi ones, I used them because I had a few lying around..

So far they have tested well, I've got a comp coming up on the 21st so ill see how they hold up..

Ill re-measure my wheel base tomorrow and post it up..
Gotcha. I previously measured Jato's as 1.6mm longer than the Losi 17's. If you did front and rear, that's over 6mm on your wheelbase. You might need to trim the plastic back on each of them just a little to stay legal.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Yeah ya right hey, measured it up this morning and it was sitting at 319mm, so I removed the rod ends and ground a couple mm of them etc so now sitting at 316.5mm
Old 05-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Did a bit of tuning etc this morning..

Swapped my chassis around so im now running the motor more forward and sitting on the LHS (i found the losi tends to want to lift the lhf so overall it should have a bit better balance now) also swap my drive shafts around so im now running the MIP up front & LNC shaft in the rear..

Ive also upped the pinion to a 18t to gain a little more wheel speed (should help a little with rollover recovery)

Ive also got a TAG axle kit ready to fit up as well, hopefully ill have frontend done for the next comp on the 19th..

Last edited by waggaclint; 05-02-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Keep an eye on that LNC driveshaft. Since it has no slip-joint, minor changes to wheel travel or link length tend to bottom it out, or worse, let the T-pin get one end out of the slot. I've had that happen and also had the small pin shear at the CV end. I like them when they work, but...
Old 05-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Keep an eye on that LNC driveshaft. Since it has no slip-joint, minor changes to wheel travel or link length tend to bottom it out, or worse, let the T-pin get one end out of the slot. I've had that happen and also had the small pin shear at the CV end. I like them when they work, but...
Thanks for tip Hardline, ill be keeping an eye on it (i also plan to give it good test before my next comp)
Old 05-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Gave my rig test run this morning while scouting a new comp location, so i thought id take a few pics..

Old 05-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #18
Try to Bend it

Looking good mate, if you ca put together a full day like you did on course two last round. You will be knocking axials off the podium left right and centre.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Time for a update, Well I've just about got my new TAG front axle setup sorted just waiting on some retaining compound to turn up and I still have to make up a steering linkage and drill and tap a few holes, but she will be all ready to go at the next comp

Im planning on getn some new tyres shortly (not sure on what type yet?) ive got set of TLR buggy wheels to mount them on to as well..
Old 07-03-2013, 12:34 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Mmmm silver. Looks flash mate. New tyres? You still using the boss claws? I know a few people are running rover's in west oz. But I've been using some sedona's and they're going pretty good.
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote

Waggaclint's LCC - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 1st Crawler, 1st Comp, 2nd place novice class pinckbrown Axial XR10 23 03-01-2011 08:46 AM
Losi takes 1st and 2nd at the spain comp! KastanPro Chit Chat 11 08-01-2009 08:36 AM
Losi 1/10 Crawler, 1st complaint Greatscott General Crawlers 21 01-26-2009 07:21 PM