Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: My 2013 Losi Sporty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: My 2013 Losi Sporty

Quote:
Originally Posted by douwe View Post
I just want to say... Just buy a axial ax10 with a sudu chassis :P
No way,-the Losi are doing great so far
I like to be a bit different......

But the sudo chassis is very nice,no doubt about it
JENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENS View Post
No way,-the Losi are doing great so far
I like to be a bit different......

But the sudo chassis is very nice,no doubt about it
Good show JENS! Keep the Losi alive, IMO it is soooo underrated.

The Sudu is nice, I had one hand me my rear end last comp. But I beat the two others. The only Losi did just great, had the AX10 drivers watching closely.

Awesome build, JENS, just awesome.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:54 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentonmac View Post
Good show JENS! Keep the Losi alive, IMO it is soooo underrated.

The Sudu is nice, I had one hand me my rear end last comp. But I beat the two others. The only Losi did just great, had the AX10 drivers watching closely.

Awesome build, JENS, just awesome.
Thanks !!!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:13 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

Pulled the axles apart for inspection after the unfortunate short dip in the ocean.
Since I grease very well,no saltwater had entered them
But the worm-bearings where the driveshafts are attached, were broken in both axles. But that's "normal" for Losi worms I guess
The worms themselves had minimal wear.

Replacing the bearings on the spur-shaft as well,just in case,-they see some serious rpm's now and then
Old 06-21-2013, 06:11 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
But the worm-bearings where the driveshafts are attached, were broken in both axles. But that's "normal" for Losi worms I guess
Good to hear....sort of. I have had problems with those bearings also, so glad to hear I am not alone. I know that it is a very high stress application, so I was not concerned.

But, I did some reading on bearings. This is what I found that got me thinking. They are talking about Short course trucks, but the theory translates.
Rubber shields offer the best protection against dirt intrusion while metal the worst. Rubber shields will not spin as freely as metal shields. Rubber shields are not desirable for high heat applications. You need to look at where you want to put them then decide what would work best. There are also bearings such as the ones made by Avid that have rubber on one side and metal on the other. Perfect for axles where the rubber side goes to the outside and the metal to the inside where it is protected from flying dirt.
I have always run the rubber shielded bearings, and that may be part of my problem. Where it states 'Rubber shields are not desireable for high heat applications.' Since I do not have to worry about dirt intrusion in the axles (dirty grease is another story), and it is a high heat application. I am seriously considering running metal shielded bearings. Added benefit, metal spins freer (probably imperceptible in the worms, but piece of mind...priceless).

Thoughts?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Good to hear....sort of. I have had problems with those bearings also, so glad to hear I am not alone. I know that it is a very high stress application, so I was not concerned.

But, I did some reading on bearings. This is what I found that got me thinking. They are talking about Short course trucks, but the theory translates.
Rubber shields offer the best protection against dirt intrusion while metal the worst. Rubber shields will not spin as freely as metal shields. Rubber shields are not desirable for high heat applications. You need to look at where you want to put them then decide what would work best. There are also bearings such as the ones made by Avid that have rubber on one side and metal on the other. Perfect for axles where the rubber side goes to the outside and the metal to the inside where it is protected from flying dirt.
I have always run the rubber shielded bearings, and that may be part of my problem. Where it states 'Rubber shields are not desireable for high heat applications.' Since I do not have to worry about dirt intrusion in the axles (dirty grease is another story), and it is a high heat application. I am seriously considering running metal shielded bearings. Added benefit, metal spins freer (probably imperceptible in the worms, but piece of mind...priceless).

Thoughts?
Yes, I would agree to that theory,another thing about racing such as short course is that drag is a concern,- metal shielded spins freer meaning more speed and run time from the battery. And I believe serious racers replace their bearings very often just to have that edge ?

I'm running metal shielded bearings,but not a high end very expensive type.

With Losi axles, I believe its better to inspect and replace bearings often,-rather than using an expensive high end type and just think it will run "forever" Therefore I'm not that concerned about rubber shields to keep the dirt out either. But that's my theory
Old 06-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #47
Defy Gravity

so what is often to you jens? with rubber sheilds all around the rig, i can make the worm bearings last 2-3 months depending on runtimes and the rest of the rig is 6 months to a year. with metal shields, i burned the worm bearings in 2 runs, but that was during testing times when i was purposely trying to break the truck in some way.

the maintenance on these things is highly person to person imo, we all drive differently and we all do teardowns at different intervals.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
so what is often to you jens? with rubber sheilds all around the rig, i can make the worm bearings last 2-3 months depending on runtimes and the rest of the rig is 6 months to a year. with metal shields, i burned the worm bearings in 2 runs, but that was during testing times when i was purposely trying to break the truck in some way.

the maintenance on these things is highly person to person imo, we all drive differently and we all do teardowns at different intervals.
This was my first major teardown of the axles,been running 3 competitions and some random practice,so it's often compared to my AX10 that I comped last season
I inject som ekstra lube before each competition,and after a while some lube are finding it's way out through the bearing. Maybe that's bad,and rubber shields are better by not letting the "used" lube through so easily and wrecking the bearing....... I have to try ....
Old 06-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #49
Defy Gravity

with the grease port, that's where i started seeing some issues. once i had a nice system down for the grease port, it started to force old grease into the bearings and fouling them up quicker. when i was still just packing grease in without it, the bearings still took a beating, but it took longer to get them to unacceptable. with the grease port and a small syringe, the religious teardown regimen with a squirt on pack changes, then i started having to order extra 5x11's on bearing runs. the grease port is a useful mod that has a drawback here. the metal shields were one of the first tried in this period, and it was just a horror show after 2 runs, took the shields off and there were loose balls just hanging out.

also with rubber shielded bearings, you can usually weed out some good ones after a thorough cleaning and re-lube. the metal ones tend to fail (at least for me) in a catastrophic ways that make it impossible to even use them for spares. i change bearings when they get gritty feeling or are getting noticeable slop.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
with the grease port, that's where i started seeing some issues. once i had a nice system down for the grease port, it started to force old grease into the bearings and fouling them up quicker. when i was still just packing grease in without it, the bearings still took a beating, but it took longer to get them to unacceptable. with the grease port and a small syringe, the religious teardown regimen with a squirt on pack changes, then i started having to order extra 5x11's on bearing runs. the grease port is a useful mod that has a drawback here. the metal shields were one of the first tried in this period, and it was just a horror show after 2 runs, took the shields off and there were loose balls just hanging out.

also with rubber shielded bearings, you can usually weed out some good ones after a thorough cleaning and re-lube. the metal ones tend to fail (at least for me) in a catastrophic ways that make it impossible to even use them for spares. i change bearings when they get gritty feeling or are getting noticeable slop.
Point taken on the grease port. Subconsciously, that is why I have not done it to my axles (and won't).

Guys, thank you for you input on the metal shielded bearings. Looking back with the two Losis and hundreds of packs with only two rubber shielded worm bearing failures...a smart man would continue with his maintenance schedule and start worrying about something else.

Thanks for the commentary, I have trampled this thread enough. My apologizes JENS.

Dent
Old 06-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #51
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Thanks for the commentary, I have trampled this thread enough. My apologizes JENS.

Dent
No problem

Very nice to enlighten and discuss our experiences with the Losi's
After only a few months of owning and driving them, I'm still considering myself a newbie in the Losi world

And without this excellent forum I'd be rather lost,-so a big thanks to You all,-the huge amount of research and tips here are priceless
Old 06-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

Upgraded the servo to a 7950TH,-nothing wrong with the 7954SH,-but nice to have a little more power and titanium gears

Old 07-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

New tires

Old 07-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Tires are looking familiar Very clean job!
Zarizi Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarizi Tech View Post
Tires are looking familiar Very clean job!
Thanks,-yes these are the new trend now

I used Panther Leopard sides,and they came out a few mm smaller than standard Rover's.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 AM   #56
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks,-yes these are the new trend now

I used Panther Leopard sides,and they came out a few mm smaller than standard Rover's.
Wow, nice tires!!!
now i need to make my own also.. pff, i hate glue
douwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Very pleased with the skinny rovers
Narrowed the track width a bit,now it's 27 cm front and 25,5 cm rear.

Moved the rear links out on the axle,spaced out the rear weights to the face of the wheel, spaced out the shocks at the chassis. And relocated the ESC to lower cog. It feels more stable now

The rig now weighs 1860 grams RTR with knuckle weights front and rear.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #58
Rock Crawler

Have some plans for a new chassis next season .
New chassis means "new" transmission and a more normal driveshaft angle/placement
My current tranny has a 3,67 ratio,-have been tinkering with the LNC tranny and came up with this more compact 3,33 ratio LNC solution :

Motor is only for mock-up
Old 08-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

Squeezed out some extra steering

Old 10-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

The Losi has done well this year,-and gave me a win in the 2013 Norwegian (NORCC) sportsman series
Won four out of seven entered comps and with six out of eight comps counting in the series,first place was in the bag

But for 2014,-I will most likely be upgrading with a new chassis and tranny.......

Stay tuned

My 2013 Losi Sporty - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NFG Losi MOA 2013 Novice Rig. NFG Team Losi Comp Crawler 9 09-22-2013 11:30 PM
Josh's 2013 sporty build Joshie Axial AX-10 Scorpion 23 07-07-2013 04:23 AM
WCRCC 2012/2013 Season Comp #3 1/5/2013 rcjunky3 Competitions 12 01-07-2013 09:46 AM