Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: dentonmac's LCC Shaftsman - Pic Heavy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: dentonmac's LCC Shaftsman - Pic Heavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentonmac View Post
Thanks, I hope you like.

I tried the rear shocks at about the length you had and my skid was just under 2.5 with the shocks fully extended. I had to run stiff springs to keep them that way.

I like my suspension soft so it settles a little when you set it down (I know there is a name for that I just don't know it). So, it is...well..suspended. Other than just looking cool when you set it down, I feel it gives it a little droop for breakovers and ledges. As well as (IMO) allow the springs to more effectively do their job controlling the sprung weight.

It looks like you are running green (f) and orange (r) springs. IMO those are very stiff for such a light rig. But that is personal preference, and relative to driving style. When you get the length on try testing some softer springs and see what that does to your suspension. Would love to hear your results.

On the other hand, do not get my disease. When it is running great, start mucking with it till it ain't. I say this because it sounds like yours is running great.

Tinker till it breaks,
Dent
Good points and thanks for advice Dent, my current shock measurement's are Front-4in with green springs and rear 4.5in with red springs, so ill give your setup a try as overall im still wanting more out of my rig hey, I find break overs to be my biggest problem..

Anyway ill do some testing and let ya know how it works out..

Last edited by waggaclint; 07-04-2013 at 06:15 PM.
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggaclint View Post
Good points and thanks for advice Dent, my shocks currently are F-4" green springs and rear 4.5" red springs, so ill give your setup a try as overall im still wanting more out of my rig hey, I find break overs to be my biggest problem..

Anyway ill do some testing and let ya know how it works out..
Not familiar with those springs, they look like miniT Losis. What are they?

Please do keep me posted I am very curious what you find out.

Thanks, Dent
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #23
RCC Addict

They are just the red and green losi mini t springs. Aren't they? I'm pretty sure that's what he's talking about.
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Not familiar with those springs, they look like miniT Losis. What are they?

Please do keep me posted I am very curious what you find out.

Thanks, Dent
Yeah there miniT springs, I just re-worded my post
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Do you have more pics of your front shock mounting?
Donahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donahue View Post
Do you have more pics of your front shock mounting?
I can take some more when I get home, anything particular you are wanting to see?

If you look closely in the pix below (should of stated this earlier, sorry) the front lower and shock are mounted in the stock lower position. Shock in stock lower position and lower on the inside of the mounting tab. Hope that makes sense. I put it there to help clear the shock from the batt/servo plate. The reason the shock is not outboarded is because the wheel got into the stock shocks and springs at full lock. I left it there when I went to The Big Bores, because I just like the way it works there.

Last edited by dentonmac; 07-05-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Maybe a side shot with out the tire?
Donahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That is what I was thinking also. I'll work on getting you one posted.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Here you go. Good Lord look at the birds nest wiring, Man I need to work on that.

Little Blurry, but it show the lower link location at the axle.

Skid height - 2.6 ish

This is another idea that I have been working on. Knuckle weight holders. They are just some thick washers that I found at Tractor Supply. Still a work in progress, but they connect to the screw holes that lock the king pins. This should work with the plastic hub carriers, it just will not be as solid. The trick is to find the length screw that holds the pin in place. It is very solid, I just need to find some weight.

That looks to be about 25deg of caster.

Still tinkering,
Dent
Old 07-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

A quick video I made showing the suspension action. The first step is 7", the second is 8".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXLgh...GDrHcMXem8Gq8g

Dent
Old 07-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
I haven't found light front wheels/tires to be good performers on steep climbs.
Well I finally made it out to my local comp spot for some testing. And I must agree that it does not climb or descend as well on long climbs as before (with weighted wheels). It just seemed to lose grip where it had it before.

It did other things just as well, some better. I am able to pop it up small climbs much easier. Probably because it is over a pound lighter.

But I have concluded that the front wheels need a little weight. I added 1.5 oz to each front wheel (compared to the 6 I had before) to see how that helps before I start adding some knuckle weights. I also added 1oz to each rear lockout (none in the wheel) to try an keep the rear end down on descents.

It is currently sitting right at the weight that I am trying to hit - 4.5 lbs. Compared to the 5.2 lbs that I am using as my bench mark with the old weighted wheels. With the balance point in the middle of the front lower rod ends. So weight distribution is still good.

Ill keep you posted.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #32
RCC Addict

You need as much knuckle weight as you can throw under that thing!
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #33
WAM
Rock Crawler

I'd say you need as much "D" knuckle weight on the front as will fit, and maybe some on the rear to set the bias to your liking. By "D" I mean just the lower half of the circle.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Well, it has been a little while since I have updated.

Have not been able to get it in the middle of some hot competition, but I am really liking how it is performing. I was going to update the first post, but I never look back to that either.

Here is where I have landed.

- VP DH's up front with Sedonas - no weights
- Siped Rovers in rear - DE moddel wheels, Lattice hubs
- HR racing LNC tranny gears and case. Heavy, but adds peace of mind.
- Silver Mini-T spring rear. Rear/Soft
- Front shock - 40w
- Rear shock - 60w
- Front shocks moved inside chassis
- Full Metal Jacket brass 4-40 inserts in axles - so solid
- Homebrew batt/elect/servo mount. Not pretty, but purely functional.
- Sorry to say the rubber band battery hold down is gone, replaced with a section of bicycle inter tube.

Sitting about 4.6 lbs.

Everything else has been solid for me.

Oh yeah, and Booya! TAG in the house!

Still undecided on how much it adds, but I am going to reserve comment until I get some VP knucks (just threw on the plastic Wraith ones I had - work pretty well though)

OK, I also wanted to share something with you guys that I am more excited about than I thought I'd be.

I must apologize because my wrenches got to it, before my camera. I scored as unmolested LCC as I have seen since mine came out of the box. It came with the carbon shock arms, and red springs, and wheels that look like they have never been used, but thats it. I have had a blast walking down memory lane, and re-reading Del Montes thread for the umpteenth time.

I added the aluminum knucks, chubs, HD CVDs, HR alum front upper link mount, Losi adjustable rear upper link mount.

Still need to drag it through OlleP's friction-free speed shop, and check on/regrease the worms. Might even travel all the way down memory lane and if the worms are straight cut, call Losi about replacements. The old LCC guys will get that joke.

When purchased, plans are to make a scaler! Plans and parts are in place, but once I have it in hand I am having a hard time planning to hacking on such a pristine rig. A LCC scaler will be done, just maybe not with this rig.

Tinkering on,
Dent
Old 11-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #35
RCC Addict

All looks good. I would try to move those shocks out, the further in they are the less effective they are. If you clock your chubs more it will give you more room for the shocks and better steering!
Old 11-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Default dentonmac's LCC Shaftsman - Pic Heavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
All looks good. I would try to move those shocks out, the further in they are the less effective they are. If you clock your chubs more it will give you more room for the shocks and better steering!
Thanks.

Do you mean so they stand more upright toward the front and rear, basically put the shock mounts (or the like) back on?

I'll look at adding more caster, what are you thinking deg wise? I think I am close to 25, are you talking more like 30 - 35?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks.

Do you mean so they stand more upright toward the front and rear, basically put the shock mounts (or the like) back on?

I'll look at adding more caster, what are you thinking deg wise? I think I am close to 25, are you talking more like 30 - 35?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, 30 degrees is what I would shoot for. The shocks need to be mounted further out from the center of the chassis and axle, closer to the wheels. This gives you better sidhill ability. The layback you have on your shocks is just fine.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
Yes, 30 degrees is what I would shoot for. The shocks need to be mounted further out from the center of the chassis and axle, closer to the wheels. This gives you better sidhill ability. The layback you have on your shocks is just fine.
Thanks for the clarification, I understand what you are saying.

So today, I clocked the chubs to about 30, and I could not believe the amount of room that I have at full lock. I was shocked. I moved the top of my front shocks back out and out boarded them at the axle. The lower is back in the stock location, and the shock is outside that. Now, I have a little work to do on the tie rod a drag link.

I ran it a little in the garage, couldn't tell a ton of difference, but I will see when I get it on my test courses.

Thanks, again
Old 11-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Well I think that my RS tanked today. I think the BEC went and took the ESC with it. Not super surprised, 5 years of hard service for both and hundreds and hundreds of packs. I am not complaining, it has served me very well. I have a few things that I am going to try before I deem all as lost.

Lets have a moment of silence....

Ok! I swapped in my decased MMP and new BEC. Still need to do a little programming, but not missing a lick. It may actually run a little better. We will see.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:36 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Got a comp tomorrow on my 'home' rocks. So we will see how it does! I'm excited!

Really have not changed anything. Mounted my 'lucky' body, sauced the tires, ready to go. I think the ugly body makes people under estimate.

Tomorrow AM is not coming fast enough!

Tags
comp crawler, lcc, lnc, losi, sportsman

dentonmac's LCC Shaftsman - Pic Heavy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
H1 Truggy (Pic heavy) trombley2 1.9 Scale Rigs 31 09-08-2013 01:24 PM
I might as well have one too (pic heavy!) CAPCbass Axial Wraith 23 08-16-2013 01:04 AM
Crawlin around - pic heavy! B94Cast Tamiya XC/CC01 6 09-17-2012 05:22 PM
My First Super... Pic heavy Chris_The_Battery_Man Tamiya Clod Buster 24 12-31-2006 11:23 AM