Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi wins in TTC!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Losi wins in TTC!

My boys and and I competed yesterday in the 2013 Ohio RC GURUS's "Fall Brawl TTC" with our two Losi based Scalers....

In a never ending sea of Axial based rigs, Losi took 1st Place in both Junior and Class 3!

GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Default Re: Losi wins in TTC!

How many motor, battery, gear greasings and gear swaps were needed?

And congrats.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
How many motor, battery, gear greasings and gear swaps were needed?

And congrats.
Haha, i changed batteries between each course

both rigs use the HD Worms with the case packed full of the Losi blue grease to keep water out.

13.5 on 3s
18.5 on 4s
many many miles on both!
Old 10-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Congrats man. I don't why everyone thinks worms need grease every 5min lol. I pack my diff every 10hrs and I'm over 100hrs run time and just starting to show signs of wear.
xCoolHandLukex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoolHandLukex View Post
Congrats man. I don't why everyone thinks worms need grease every 5min lol. I pack my diff every 10hrs and I'm over 100hrs run time and just starting to show signs of wear.
I used to run 20+ hours between grease ups when i was running dlux chromo worms...
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I find this interesting since the TTC comp held here in Sweden last summer incorporated some "go fast" legs where I thought a worm drive rig can't do well and survive.

Go figure...
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
I find this interesting since the TTC comp held here in Sweden last summer incorporated some "go fast" legs where I thought a worm drive rig can't do well and survive.

Go figure...
Dont get me wrong, there were places the Losi struggled due to lack of wheelspeed. The dually is the truck that competed in the TTC portion. The camo truck was run by my son in the junior class (they drove the Class 1 course).

In TTC:
My sled pull was dismal. Lack of wheelspeed, too light and no contact pressure on the duals had me way down on the list.

The MudBog was cancelled due to darkness and ran out of time, but i'm confident I would do well in this event.

Where the truck really shined was the rocks, climbs and off camber!

I smoked the obstacle course with the fastest time!

The tanktrap/creek trail did excellent as well. It was a winding course through creekbed, bridges, trees, rocks/boulders, deep water and slippery climbs/decents up and down the banks. About 650 ft long.

I wasnt the fastest time, but being steady, reliable and a lack of penalties compared to the rest of the field all totaled up to a 1st place!
Old 11-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Lack of wheel speed...
What combination of battery, motor and gearing do you use?
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
Lack of wheel speed...
What combination of battery, motor and gearing do you use?
Lack of wheelspeed is reletive... to say guys with a Wraith and a Pro-4 motor on 3S.

My combo is:
LCC Trans
HD Gears
18.5 Novak Motor
4S Lipo
12T Pinion

Dont get me wrong, it holds its own, But wont race around at 30MPH jumping half-pipes! Lol
Old 11-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiJoe View Post
Lack of wheelspeed is reletive... to say guys with a Wraith and a Pro-4 motor on 3S.
I know we all come to this hobby for different outcomes and enjoyment, but that brings up one of my beefs with todays scalers. The speed ain't scale. In a scaler comp, you get points for scale accessories, but no deduction for going close to 300 scale mph. Close would be fine with me, but 75% faster than scale is a little much.

Granted in my SCX I run MMP, Novak 18.5 crawler, on 3s, I am running a small pinion to maintain closer to scale for a Cherokee (can't remember if that is gearing up of down, but can't imagine a better system in the SCX for what I do). I do however, have to bump up the pinion tooth for comps, just to even think about finishing mid pack.

Sorry for the rant, but that has always made me shake my head.

Well Joe, you have bitten me. I have a LCC on the way that I am wanting to make a scaler out of. I will be re-reading your threads....again. With the kind of scaling I do around here a Losi would KILL IT (more crawling than trailing), on top of the fact the dig will be functional (watch the SCX guys jaws drop!). Very excited, thanks for the inspiration.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #11
Scale Detail Engineering

I'll be your huckleberry.
Congrats on the win!
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentonmac View Post

Well Joe, you have bitten me. I have a LCC on the way that I am wanting to make a scaler out of. I will be re-reading your threads....again. With the kind of scaling I do around here a Losi would KILL IT (more crawling than trailing), on top of the fact the dig will be functional (watch the SCX guys jaws drop!). Very excited, thanks for the inspiration.

dentonmac, I cant wait to see what you build! Glad I can be an inspiration! I absolutely LOVE the Losi platform, as I know you do too!

johnnyh66, Thanks brother! Hope to be able to play along with Hera again in the future!

I've got some changes planned for the future as well! All LOSI based!

My new Dually Class 3 (Corrosion of Conformity) will be getting outfitted with an exo-cage, lights and winch(es?).

My Camo truck (Azazel 1 ) is being transformed into a Class 2 rig

Also picked up this....

I'm going to do whatever I can to make this a competitive Class 1 truck on Leaf Springs. Still useing an LNC trans and axles!

I think with proper gearing, motor choice and voltage, even the small tire trucks will do well with worms. Gonna be an interesting winter!
Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Congrats I'm planing on entering one of theses events with the night tuber I'm tinkering with
alterchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterchristopher View Post
Congrats I'm planing on entering one of theses events with the night tuber I'm tinkering with
With a full tuber, your gonna have to run in Class 3. One of the best hop-ups you can do with a LNC/Class 3 platform is add rear steer and a winch. Your truck will do marvelous and wonderful things!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
RCC Addict

The lnc axles will match the land rover perfectly in speed.
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:57 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Actually after taking a second look at it. The cage looks pretty strange at the back? It seems to raise a lot.
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I think its an optical illusion because the cage dovetails. Its not Class 1 legal yet because of this. I will be re-working the cage to Class 1 specs.

To be honest, I know nothing about Land Rovers. I picked this up in a trade. Its all hand built chassis and cage, but dont know if it was made as an exact L.R. replica or not.

I would love to build like this! But dont think Rules will be on my side! Lol

Even this would be interesting! I think it can be done!

Last edited by GiJoe; 11-14-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #18
Defy Gravity

the cage looks as if it was meant to have a soft top draped over it. lay a t-shirt over to see if it looks right, then maybe cut some old canvas up.

and the first picture looks awesome! and i've seen a few mud trucks running skidder axles that bear striking resemblance to losi axles. i think that the top one could be prime for some low slung class 3 action. some hacked up clod tires would be a cheap solution if you're not concerned about making them for 2.2 wheels, and even then you can reduce them.

as far as the multi-axles, i would like to see it, but i'm not sure who i would contact on a pass through losi worm. rc4wd worminators may be a solid choice for them, the only thing is that parts are extremely limited and the axles aren't really used by anyone. this may be an anti worm thing or a "these axles are junk" thing. since i've seen maybe 2 builds with them, i cannot confirm nor deny either possibility,

another option for the multi axles (and this is waaaaay left field) would be to use a single drive axle and then have the suspension setup like many 6 by's. either 4 link or military sprung, the rear axle would be just a chunk of solid rod, or you could use an old losi housing as well. just shooting ideas for doing it on the cheap.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

A local guy I crawl with had a 6X6 losi axled rig. The worm was modified to have an output shaft on both ends. Had a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle semi truck cab (looked BADASS!!!) 13.5 motor and 1.9's. was a battery KILLER! Lol. Unfortunately, he sold the rig and I didnt have the cash at the time!

Ive got some machinist buddies who I was going to hit up for a favor. cut the rear output off a worm, drill through worm and tig weld (or press fit with red loctite) a new output shaft.

All that work, and still be easier than locating a "for sale" Chromo worm!
Old 11-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #20
Defy Gravity

ahh, that's an angle i actually never thought of! though i would go with some green bearing retainer, same stuff i used on my TAG kit and also some bearings on a freightliner cascadia (its oem spec for some front axle bearing that i can't quite remember). you could also just get some precision 5mm stock (or have a friend spin it down), then through drill the gear, then drill some holes for the elongated set screws that are more popular nowadays. only issue there is clamping the gear in a manner that doesn't destroy it. if you could clamp it and drill it with no damage to the gear, it would make for a really strong part with a more solid fit that the method you described. i worry that if the loctite gave on yours that the run would not only be over, but may destroy the gear. if its mounted on a shaft, the loctite can give in a less catastrophic manner. the gear would simply sit and spin on the shaft instead of losing the bearing load on the modified side in your current method.

and i can believe it was a battery killer! great looking rig though, a fine catch for whoever ended up with it.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Losi wins in TTC! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FJ40 TTC rock cralwer w/ losi axles AxialJeepster 1.9 Scale Rigs 30 06-03-2012 01:37 AM
Majority wins meanbgreen Chit Chat 2 12-20-2011 05:40 PM
Losi wins axial wcc novice class HOLLYWOOD7 Chit Chat 54 07-01-2009 12:05 PM
Dirk wins! jason Chit Chat 6 06-15-2005 10:21 AM