Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Please help keep blowing motors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Please help keep blowing motors?

I have converted my LNC into a scaler with a frame kit. I am now having more problems than its worth. If i bind up a rear tire it usually has the power to spin the hex in the hub, however if I bind a front tire (which is easy compared to the rear ) and hit the throttle BOOM there goes the white smoke! I have greased the axle and all that stuff but no luck. I am on motor 4 and cant afford this anymore. I am using a tekin fxr and a 27t motor geared at 16. please help before this gets moved to the never to use again shelf.
ed701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: Please help keep blowing motors?

You need brushless. A regular inrunner would be fine, about a 13.5t or between 2000 and 3100kV.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
You need brushless. A regular inrunner would be fine, about a 13.5t or between 2000 and 3100kV.
I am running 1.9 tsx sx 4.3" tires, any idea on where I should start in gearing? Also any thoughts on the front bindind much easier than the rear?
Old 01-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

X2 on the sensored brushless. With the inherit drag of the worms (IMO) they almost require brushless power.

With the front binding easily, it sounds like there is something not right in the front drivetrain. Try pulling the pinion and spin the driveshaft to see what kind of drag is present. An efficient drivetrain is gospel with these things. I had a binding problem I could not diagnose, turned out to be the pin in the CVD had snapped. Looked fine from the outside and on closer inspection looked good, but I noticed there was a little more slop than usual. Took it apart and, sure enough, snapped in two.

Since the Losi gearing charts are historically inaccurate. I judge my gearing by feel and motor heat. If the motor stays cool throughout a pack, I will try going up a pinion until I start losing the low end grunt. I have an LNC sportsman. I pushed it up to 23t pinion and the motor (brushless crawler) was staying cool, but I was losing the low end, so I dropped to (and stayed at) 20t. But, with all that said, the weight of your rig will play a big part in what your gearing should be.

In the many years of running Losi axles, (with regular maintenance) they have been insanely reliable for me. The only problems I have had are the CVD pins (normal wear and tear item) and the worm bearings (very high stress location). I say problems, but replacing those 2 to 3 times with the amount of packs I have put though mine I am definitely not concerned.

I am sure that GIJoe (our resident Losi Scalespert) will chime in.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Upon taking the axle apart it looks like the bearings on the ring gear seam to be a bit rough. While it was together things seem to spin well. I could grab the input shafts and spin it with ease. But with it apart I put the bearing on my finger and spun the outer race. It felt gritty so those will have to be replaced. I really appreciate all of the help!
Old 01-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Definitely need to get the binding sorted out. Once that is good, PACK those axles with grease, till it oozes out when bolting back together. I use Lucas Red&Tacky or Losi grease that comes with the HD worm gears.

Which brings me to another point. HD worms are a great investment for a Losi based scaler!

The motor combos I run are simple...Mamba Max Pro ESC
13.5 sensored brushless for a LNC trans on 3S
18.5 sensored brushless for a LCC trans on 4S

20t pinion seems about right if LNC and 4.3 dia. Tire.
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Ok I robbed a motor and esc from another car. I used a speed passion gt2 esc and a 13.5 sensored motor. The problem now is it runs in reverse and speed passions escs do not have motor reversing capabilities! I have it geared with a 16 pinion and this thing is a rocket!! loud as a freight train but moves out. Will flipping the trans mount 180 degrees make it run forward and can it be done?
Old 01-22-2014, 01:38 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed701 View Post
Ok I robbed a motor and esc from another car. I used a speed passion gt2 esc and a 13.5 sensored motor. The problem now is it runs in reverse and speed passions escs do not have motor reversing capabilities! I have it geared with a 16 pinion and this thing is a rocket!! loud as a freight train but moves out. Will flipping the trans mount 180 degrees make it run forward and can it be done?
Yes, rotating the entire skid plate (transmission and all) is so easy to do with the Losi. And yes that would fix the reverse rotation.

Surprised that the GT2 does not have reverse rotation, but I bet it does not have crawler mode. I ran SP stuff in my go fast for a while, good go-fast escs. Don't remember much about it though.

You are going to spoil yourself with the 13.5. Good little motor for the Losi platform.

Last edited by dentonmac; 01-22-2014 at 01:48 PM.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I flipped the skid plate over and that fixed the reverse problem. It goes along a lot better now just loud lol. THANK YOU everybody for the help.

Please help keep blowing motors? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blowing Smoke.... chicostaxxs007 Chit Chat 8 10-13-2011 07:48 PM
So tired of blowing motors josephi Team Losi Comp Crawler 29 10-07-2010 11:59 PM
ax-10 keeps blowing driveshafts off jamesmp319 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 01-12-2010 05:47 PM
motors blowing up losikid Team Losi Comp Crawler 3 07-22-2009 09:54 AM