RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Team Losi Comp Crawler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/team-losi-comp-crawler/)
-   -   LNC Transmission an Pinion Gear Question! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/team-losi-comp-crawler/486661-lnc-transmission-pinion-gear-question.html)

murlin12 03-17-2014 12:28 PM

Re: LNC Transmission an Pinion Gear Question!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olle P (Post 4712029)
I think that depends on the specific motors used and the timing limitation of MMP.

- Typically using the same timing on a few pole inrunner and a multi pole outrunner will make more of a difference on the inrunner. (But for my inrunner motor 20 degrees of timing, the MMP maximum, is considered to be "a little".)
- With zero physical timing on the sensor the behaviour should be the same in SMART and CHEAT mode, given that the same high speed timing is set. SMART is supposed to work better, because the ESC's electronics can have a hard time keeping up at high sensor speeds.

Anyway, I'm now waiting for the Revolver S to come back in stock so I can order one and find out for myself.

Ok so Im a little tight on money right now and the setup is a Integy 35t brushed motor with a 2000mah 2s lipo battery with a 20t pinion. Now if I wanted to get a little more wheel speed I would reduce the size of the pinion right?

Liv3mind 03-17-2014 05:01 PM

LNC Transmission an Pinion Gear Question!

Quote:

Originally Posted by murlin12 (Post 4712434)
Ok so Im a little tight on money right now and the setup is a Integy 35t brushed motor with a 2000mah 2s lipo battery with a 20t pinion. Now if I wanted to get a little more wheel speed I would reduce the size of the pinion right?

Smaller p-more torque/less wheel speed
Larger p-more wheel speed/less torque

If u want to stay cheap and brushed keep your 20t pinion and go get a Titan 21t 550 motor and toss that in. Will I've you more torque and wheel speed. It is like 20$ or so.

murlin12 03-18-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liv3mind (Post 4712736)
Smaller p-more torque/less wheel speed
Larger p-more wheel speed/less torque

If u want to stay cheap and brushed keep your 20t pinion and go get a Titan 21t 550 motor and toss that in. Will I've you more torque and wheel speed. It is like 20$ or so.

Alright thanks man! Ya Im gonna keep it brushed right now, but when I go brushless and get a new esc, I have no freaking idea where to wire things up!!!:shock:

dentonmac 03-18-2014 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murlin12 (Post 4714096)
Alright thanks man! Ya Im gonna keep it brushed right now, but when I go brushless and get a new esc, I have no freaking idea where to wire things up!!!:shock:

The Titan is a brushed motor. It is a 550 can, meaning bigger motor. More torque.

WHEN you do decide to go brushless, hit us up, we are glad to help. There are alot of wires, and alot of choices....most bad. We will help you not make the mistakes we did.

Liv3mind 03-19-2014 01:08 AM

^what he said "thumbs up"

murlin12 03-19-2014 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dentonmac (Post 4714329)
The Titan is a brushed motor. It is a 550 can, meaning bigger motor. More torque.

WHEN you do decide to go brushless, hit us up, we are glad to help. There are alot of wires, and alot of choices....most bad. We will help you not make the mistakes we did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liv3mind (Post 4714487)
^what he said "thumbs up"

Alright thanks guys! Ill post some picks of the set up at this piont!

Liv3mind 03-19-2014 09:32 AM

I am running the Titan setup in my extra lnc still. It's heavy but cheap and powerful

murlin12 03-19-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liv3mind (Post 4714677)
I am running the Titan setup in my extra lnc still. It's heavy but cheap and powerful

Awesome! yea this Integy 35t just dosent have the wheel speed (the pop!) dont get me wrong its got tons of torque tho!

dentonmac 03-19-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murlin12 (Post 4715051)
Awesome! yea this Integy 35t just dosent have the wheel speed (the pop!) dont get me wrong its got tons of torque tho!

The JENS LNC Tranny mod (mentioned earlier in this thread) might also be a good option to get some of that pop back out of the brushed motor.

It increases (or decreases - I can't remember) the ratio like you are running a much larger pinion (so you get the wheel speed), but it does not seem to lose the low end or heat up the motor that comes with running a much larger pinion.

So far i am pretty impressed.

Edit: Just thinking after I posted this, the mod might bring brushed motors back into play as a viable option for the Losi....Might

murlin12 03-20-2014 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dentonmac (Post 4715421)
The JENS LNC Tranny mod (mentioned earlier in this thread) might also be a good option to get some of that pop back out of the brushed motor.

It increases (or decreases - I can't remember) the ratio like you are running a much larger pinion (so you get the wheel speed), but it does not seem to lose the low end or heat up the motor that comes with running a much larger pinion.

Edit: Just thinking after I posted this, the mod might bring brushed motors back into play as a viable option for the Losi....Might

Thats a good Point!

murlin12 03-20-2014 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dentonmac (Post 4715421)

Here are some pics!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/20/epyru6um.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/20/de2etuqu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/20/jy2uva6y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/20/2y5agyjy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/20/pujypazu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dentonmac 03-20-2014 10:04 AM

Great start. Work on getting the battery and electronics closer to the axle. The chassis is convenient to place everything, but the worst place to do it. All that weight is up high (Center of Gravity), and sprung (springs having to work the suspension as well as support that weight). With the tiny FXR and small batt, it should be much simpler. Hope that makes sense.

Love the Sedonas. Get some more miles on those things, and wash them with Simple Green and they will really come to life. I got my set used (very used) and just was going to run them until I go a new pair. I got a new pair, and ended up putting my old ones back on. I liked the old ones so much, that was two years ago.

murlin12 03-20-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dentonmac (Post 4715968)
Great start. Work on getting the battery and electronics closer to the axle. The chassis is convenient to place everything, but the worst place to do it. All that weight is up high (Center of Gravity), and sprung (springs having to work the suspension as well as support that weight). With the tiny FXR and small batt, it should be much simpler. Hope that makes sense.

Love the Sedonas. Get some more miles on those things, and wash them with Simple Green and they will really come to life. I got my set used (very used) and just was going to run them until I go a new pair. I got a new pair, and ended up putting my old ones back on. I liked the old ones so much, that was two years ago.

Ok, what is simple green and where you get some? Also I have been poltting and thought on the subjec matter of moving things around. Like I said, Im kinda low on $$$ right now ( still in school:???:) so ill be making a parts list and researching/asking questions in the time being.:mrgreen:

Liv3mind 03-20-2014 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murlin12 (Post 4716504)
Ok, what is simple green and where you get some? Also I have been poltting and thought on the subjec matter of moving things around. Like I said, Im kinda low on $$$ right now ( still in school:???:) so ill be making a parts list and researching/asking questions in the time being.:mrgreen:

It's an all purpose cleaner, next to the spray cleaners at any grocery store "thumbsup"

murlin12 03-21-2014 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liv3mind (Post 4716584)
It's an all purpose cleaner, next to the spray cleaners at any grocery store "thumbsup"

Sweet, an you just spray that on the tires and let it sit/dry?

dentonmac 03-21-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murlin12 (Post 4716988)
Sweet, an you just spray that on the tires and let it sit/dry?

Yes, I spray it and rub them down to clean them. Then hit them again and let them sit wet for at least 12 hours.

murlin12 03-23-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dentonmac (Post 4717313)
Yes, I spray it and rub them down to clean them. Then hit them again and let them sit wet for at least 12 hours.

Ok great! Now ive been intensiveley reading on the all the comp crawler forms and the major brand of suspension I see is the Traxxia Big Bore shocks and I have some of those, are they what you want for comp crawling.....whats there purpose?

Also what is the best way to put my battery (as seen earlier in the thread) onto the axles? Is there an aftermarket batt tray?

Lastly what is the best way to lengthen the axles....like, is there spacers you can buy or will I have to manafacture them?

Olle P 03-31-2014 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dentonmac (Post 4712260)
... The more 'poles' a motor has the less it takes to timing advance.

It's a matter of definition. (Had a lengthy discussion about this subject on another forum.)

If you define the timing angle by how many degrees the motor axle rotates (typical endbell timing) you're correct.

The normal way, however, is to define timing in terms of ("ignition") cycles, of which there are more per axle revolution the more poles there are. (A 14 pole motor has seven cycles per axle revolution.)
Each cycle is seen as one 360 degrees revolution.
Timing is added to make up for delays in "current on" due to electromagnetic and and semiconductor phenomena. This delay (as measured in "per cent of cycle") is typically larger for multipole motors than for low pole motors.
Hence you can typically use more timing for a multipole motor than for a two-pole.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dentonmac (Post 4712260)
The Revolver motors are 14 pole (I think). That is one of the reasons I have stuck so long with the 2 pole motors.

More poles = Better!
* Smoother at low speed.
* More torque.
* More efficiency.
(Less motor top speed is no disadvantage here.)