Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Dlux links on modded LNC - driveshaft issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Dlux links on modded LNC - driveshaft issue

Hey folks. I have an LNC with the LCC upper shock mounts (got rid of the battery tray) I just installed the links from Dlux, and although the front seems fine, the rear with the new style links being 1/4" longer, the rear driveshaft is not long enough.

Anything obvious I'm missing here? The tip/ball of the drive shaft is about 1/8" from reaching the cup - so it seems about 1/4" off by the time its inserted securely into the cup.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
motopreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
WAM
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Dlux links on modded LNC - driveshaft issue

The LNC is a little problematic with it's drive shafts. I presume you have the slotted cups and the shafts have a tee at the end. The amount of length variation of that design is not as good as the conventional telescopic 2-piece drive shaft. Just messin with link lengths, or ride height or suspension travel can sometimes exceed the dimension capabilities of that style of drive shaft. Some people modify the cup, some space it back, some change to conventional drive shafts. There's no one standard fix.

Personally I make my own driveshafts from Traxxas Stampede parts. Cheap, strong, EZ. But you can make the original system fit if you work at it.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks so much for the response WAM. You are correct, I have the slotted cup with a ball and T at the end of the shaft.

I guess I shouldn't have assumed that when the product was listed as being for both LCC and LNC that it would work without needing additional parts. I don't mind messing with it, but I would have ordered the parts before tearing down so I could have timed it better.

I'll take a look at the traxxas parts you mentioned. I'm not sure I see how the cup could be modified, and the amount of spacer I'd need seems like it would be hanging on the post by a hair.

The other thing I find a little strange is that the length was more recently switched to 1/4" longer - although it seems the old length would work fine. But no mention of this on th thread or web site at all.

Off to research....

Appreciate the help.

Last edited by motopreserve; 10-23-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
WAM
Rock Crawler

In competition a longer wheelbase is an asset. 12.5" is max legal. The LCC/LNC come a bit shorter than that, so we typically stretch them to max. Unless he's changed, I think Dlux sells a variable length link setup where you choose how many tapered spacers to use between the link and rod end to get the link length you want. But as you've found out, when you start changing from the stock length, the drive shaft is sometimes unhappy.

I haven't done it, but could you lengthen the driveshaft by cutting it in half and inserting both halves into well-fitted aluminum or steel tubing? Then the resulting length would be up to you. Perhaps epoxy or CA would be sufficient to lock it together, but the tubing should be a little longish to get plenty of surface area for the adhesive. Or if all steel, you could tack weld it. Just a thought, no guarantees.

PS -- I read into your post you think there's dimensional differences between LCC and LNC. I don't think that's the case. The parts are so interchangeable I don't even remember what my car started as. Once you start changing out parts you can get to the same end point regardless of which model you start with.

Last edited by WAM; 10-24-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks WAM. Good idea about the tube sheath for an extension. I might have to try that. Seems like that would keep the coveted driveshaft-link clearance, but get me the length I need. Set screw might work of i ground a very subtle flat spot.

The difference I think I was noticing was the adjustability of the LCC top shock mounts. With the 5 cut-outs for movement on the arch-like mounts. The LNC just has the top shock mount on the old battery tray. The top & bottom link connections seem identical - since the side frame and skid plate are a match (far as I can tell).

Erik asked that I shoot him a pic of the setup. I'll do that later and see if he has any ideas.

Do you have a build thread that shows your stampede swap? Do they come with a matching cup style connection to the trams and axle? I haven't measured the posts on both ends that the cups slide onto with the LNC shafts.

Appreciate all your help.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
WAM
Rock Crawler

What you're going to find is there is considerable interchangeability between Losi LCC drive shafts and Axial AX-10 Scorpion drive shafts. The AX-10 has much less gear reduction inside the axles, so the torsional forces in their drive shafts are much higher than the Losi. So those guys have done all the drive shaft tech home work for us. Do some forum searches on drive shafts and Stampede over there and you should get tons of info.

The only thing special you need to verify is if you use an alternate part, make sure the set screw makes it down to the flat on the input/output shafts. Sometimes you have to grind a little here or there to make things fit properly. No big deal as long as you check.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks again. Turns out that Erik made the links a little too long on both front and rear, and that added up to no dice with the shaft length . Seems he's going shoot me a new pair.

Your solution is good to know though, for future upgrade fixes.

Appreciate all the great info on this forum.

Dlux links on modded LNC - driveshaft issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
***REVIEW*** DLUX Fab 70* XR10 modded steering shafts chicklet Axial XR10 6 07-10-2013 01:18 PM
LNC driveshaft cups cutting delux links.. concretejungle Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 11-17-2011 03:13 AM
Modded LNC Vs. LCC bryco13 Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 02-28-2011 03:54 PM