Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Robbobs bored and building a shafty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2017, 11:49 AM   #141
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Robbobs bored and building a shafty

Hey Bob, haven't heard much about your Losi lately, Did you put it back on the shelf? Just wondering if the delrin tubes I turned work for you?
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #142
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Hey Bob, haven't heard much about your Losi lately, Did you put it back on the shelf? Just wondering if the delrin tubes I turned work for you?
Ernie
LOL no hasnt gone back on the dust shelf yet but I have been making some improvements on setup.

The delrin tubes are holding but I been slacking on the pictures. I took a few when building and have a few updates I need to post. I have gotten it out on the indoor course but need to redo my steering link.

Right now Im fighting the solid aluminum rod and flex when I bury a wheel turned. Im on the fence on BTA or FTA, BTA is where Im at now.

I also got some new things on the truck that I have to update as well. No tranny trial yet though. Went back to the LNC and its still running. Really surprised at something with the Puller 400 motor though, on 3S and running a full 5 minutes it really doesnt feel as warm as I remember Losi's getting. Dont know if its motor or the 3* truck but even the axles are cooler. Gonna try 4S still though so that might heat it up a bit.

Im really hoping things get dried up around here after this weekend so I can hit and get some footage of real rocks. Finally got some other projects caught up and been getting cabin fever working on some future ideas.

Pics will come soon
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:04 PM   #143
I wanna be Dave

Delrin tubes?

Have you tried the higher ratio mod on the lnc tranny? Not sure how much of a difference it is but its at least something.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:45 PM   #144
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Delrin tubes?

Have you tried the higher ratio mod on the lnc tranny? Not sure how much of a difference it is but its at least something.

My next venture is a little taller then stock lnc but smaller footprint. I have it drawn but getting to it hasnt happened yet. Its a good project for when theres nothing else going on

Ya the Ernie whipped me up some special ones trying to help me reach my weight goal.
So far Im good at 3* 3oz but setup is a bit too stiff for that light. Just a personal goal though.

Last edited by Robbob; 03-30-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:37 PM   #145
Custom Carbon Fiber

Ok so a couple of pictures finally just to wake the thread up a bit. After getting Codyboy's front end set up I used his idea for my own little personal mission, going light. Took the page off his idea book and made myself some delrin tube adaptors. Pushing my luck I went shorter but have to say it wasnt the way to do it. After assembling I tried twisting the housing and could feel and see where the weakness was.

Feeding the info back to Ernie he came up with some full length tubes for me to try on my venture.

Thinking to how the case split and how delrin can strip easily with the thin wall ... I went a different way of attaching them. I put 2 4-40 screws in the middle of the shock and link ears and some longer 4-40 grub screws through the ends into the existing housing holes. I figured this would help with any axle twist or case splitting. So far so good with the little practice Ive had.

Another thing I finally changed out was to Creeperbob's Ti axles. He hadnt done Losi ones before he said so I sent him a set of stockers to measure up and jumped on his sale. Well worth it plus he went with standard pin holes so no more snapping the skinny Losi hub pins!!!

Stock

Creeperbob (Thanks again)

And a little playing around with our new 3d printer I got a couple of testers made up for the Losi matching its skilled rattle can paint job.

Spring bells to take up some space on preloads and keep the spring in line with the body .... and bottoms that you dont have to take the ball end off to change springs or bleed your shocks correctly.

Both are actually available now in our Shapeways store in different colors
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/krazed-builds

Plus new braces for our upcoming second generation un-Stuck

So far the truck is coming along but Ive def got my work cut out tuning it all in. Things on my to do list in the next couple weeks is change the foams out for a softer setup. Being 3lbs 2oz is fun but makes foam tunign that much more critical, just need to step them down a little bit more on the front and rear.

The other thing is my steering, being brave I tried a 7075 steering link but am noticing in hard binds with the steering pinned that the tie rod flexes in the middle. Gonna drop it to a Ti link and make it straighter at the ends. This should solve a lazy feel I have now.

Trans .... well its still on the books but nothing yet. For now Im just gonna run the 4S packs I have and make up for the speed. I have noticed though in the dozen runs Ive gotten that the Puller 400 and axles dont reach temps like the old truck use to. They actually run much cooler which I think could be attributed to the lighter weight and rotating mass in the driveline.

Over all its coming together and I think it could replace my Axial un-Stuck which by the way I love right now. That trucks been working incredible for me but Ive gotten more time on that then this. So we will see how it gos.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Robbob; 04-03-2017 at 05:20 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:18 PM   #146
Pebble Pounder

very very nice build!!!,it would be hard to like more this build on losi and the one on ax10,but i like the way both turn,it give me the taste of making me one with those new nice parts,i like your work on making sporty growing!!!!!thanks for your work
pyranahryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:15 AM   #147
RCC Addict

I'm really suprised that with all the 3d printing technology out there, someone has not just designed a whole new housing based around the worm and spool.
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:21 AM   #148
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
I'm really surprised that with all the 3d printing technology out there, someone has not just designed a whole new housing based around the worm and spool.
The files are out there for the stock axle. I think its probably has something to do with how the Losi will pop up and be popular again fora short time then fade then someone does something for it and it becomes popular again then fades. Thankfully though it never dies lol.

Im still fighting mine with steering, I havent been able to find a setup Im happy with for full steering yet. The 7075 rod being bta would flex under heavy load on it, I cant settle for what I want in front. I bend a rod like Jens and Youngblood did for theirs but havent been able to try it yet. Nervous though since its just .125 Ti rod.

Other then that when I do get it out the truck feels fun and smooth.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:34 AM   #149
RCC Addict

I'm no computer guy, but with the fab tech that dlux has with axles and knuckles, he could easily build stout xr length universals that would fit the spool. Then, some smarter than I could design a completely new housing to drop in his axle shafts, the worm and spool and you would have the ultimate axle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:28 AM   #150
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
I'm no computer guy, but with the fab tech that dlux has with axles and knuckles, he could easily build stout xr length universals that would fit the spool. Then, some smarter than I could design a completely new housing to drop in his axle shafts, the worm and spool and you would have the ultimate axle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

That would be nice to see happen ........
Old 06-15-2017, 08:04 PM   #151
Rock Crawler

What happened to this rig, it's been forever since an update....
kmnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:13 PM   #152
I wanna be Dave

I saw it in the classifieds.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:49 PM   #153
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
I saw it in the classifieds.
Yup too many projects right now and I didn't wanna see this thing sitting in the dust.

But something tells me it's on its way to a good owner who will show me what it's capable of doing.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2017, 08:51 PM   #154
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Yup too many projects right now and I didn't wanna see this thing sitting in the dust.

But something tells me it's on its way to a good owner who will show me what it's capable of doing.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
Good. I can't wait to get it!!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2017, 09:17 PM   #155
Rock Crawler

It's also got an older brother to live up to, and outperform....

Old 06-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #156
Rock Crawler

Got it tonight. Been doing some work. Shocks are being replaced because I can't make SCX10 shocks work to save my life. 3.5" Big Bores with RCBro's cups and springs have been ordered. Vanquish Wraith drag link works out front with a little bending, and the toe out that I usually like. I can't get a shot with 4 wheels and tires without tearing down some beadlocks. DLUX beadlocks don't fit the front, DCW's do. I'm waiting on another set of Rovers to show up so I can shave them down.

Should be fun. I've got some questions that I'll either post here, or shoot over to you Bob. Thanks again man.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:19 AM   #157
Custom Carbon Fiber

No problem - Happy its gonna be with someone willing to put the time into it.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:48 PM   #158
Rock Crawler

Couple of changes right out of the gate.

Added some more heat shrink to the end of the CCBEC, the steering was getting into the capacitor.

Squared up the rear end for my wheels. 10.75" outside tire to tire.

Spaced the rear shocks out a tad more and used longer spacers in the axle so it doesn't pull in. The oil spewed all over the right shock is why I can't do SCX shocks.

Wheels and tires will probably change, and foams. Right now it's shaved Bully Comps, or shaved Rover Whites. DLUX or DCW wheels, they both seem to weigh the same. Working with CI lights with comp cuts in the front, and mediums with regular in the rear. Will be a bit before I drive it because of the brushless debate.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:02 PM   #159
I wanna be Dave

What brushless debate are you having?
Old 06-23-2017, 10:18 PM   #160
Rock Crawler

Quote:
What brushless debate are you having?
Using it or not. I've run the Kyosho Rock Force with high speed gears, and also ran the RC4WD worm axles. I've also had a MOA Losi back in 2011 with Holmes 35T's.

My only good experience with worms has been brushless, but there's not a good small BL esc for a 2.2s. Which makes me think I need to toss a brushless in here.

Robbobs bored and building a shafty - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawlinhulls building a shafty? crawlinghulls Axial AX-10 Scorpion 42 08-23-2015 05:29 PM
Newbie to building a 2.2 Shafty blackfox93 Newbie General 1 01-29-2015 11:16 PM
Robbobs LCC Robbob Team Losi Comp Crawler 216 09-09-2011 11:32 AM