Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: GiJoe's Losi Tube Buggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2015, 02:20 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default GiJoe's Losi Tube Buggy

My youngest son Nathan (7yrs old) has been slowly merging into the scale comp scene. Confident that he is HOOKED, it came time to build him a dedicated rig.

Well, as luck would have it, a friend of mine acquired the Losi Axled tube buggy from Jonathan Baskins. A little wheelin dealin and it now sits in my garage!

This is a very well built rig from the get go. Very Scale and a good performer.

I caught some flak for things ive done, but the end result is a rig that flat out PERFORMS!

I acquired this as a roller. It had Old Man Emu shocks, Chassis Mounted Steering Servo and a 3Link with Panhard setup in the front. I ditched all that...

Now running stock geometry and links from a Night crawler, LNC shocks set up as droop, and, put the servo back on the axle where it belongs!

Standard fare electronics for a Losi Scaler (Castle MMP, 10 amp BEC, Novak 13.5) on 3S (for now).

This rig has full frame rails and is legal for Sorrca Class 2 and 3!

GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: GiJoe's Losi Tube Buggy

I love that thing! - it looks rock solid - I think your builds are legendary - you sure ain't skeered to hack up parts and I respect your ability to improvise/improve/just plain make what you need - I'll be watching this one fo sho

Last edited by mudholestomper; 11-12-2015 at 11:35 AM. Reason: stupid iPhone emojis wouldn't work right
mudholestomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudholestomper View Post
I love that thing! - it looks rock solid - I think your builds are legendary - you sure ain't skeered to hack up parts and I respect your ability to improvise/improve/just plain make what you need - I'll be watching this one fo sho
Thanks for the kind words mugholestomper! This is turning out to be another great rig in my stable!

On Halloween, My son and I took this buggy to compete in the Team KNK Masquerade Crawl and Scavenger Hunt! What a fun event put on by the Kirby Family!

G6 style course with a scavenger hunt list, costume contest, trick or treat for the kids, raffles and prizes and toy trucks all day long!

Pumpkin carving in the pits!

Old 11-12-2015, 04:06 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks for sharing the awesome pics! - looks like lots of fun! - your boy is a madman!! (I mean that in a kind way - I have two young boys myself who love to celebrate their "boyness" at every chance)

You mentioned your boy's rig was running Losi axles, brushless, on 3s, 13.5t motor - are you running the stock LNC tranny and plastic gears? - if so, what size pinion are you running? - also, are you running stock worms or HD (or a combination)? - lastly, I noticed it had wheel wideners, at least on the pics of the rear…what size wideners are they and what kind of offset do the wheels themselves offer? (I'm trying to get an idea as to how much overall positive offset you are running compared to the stock LNC offset)

Thanks in advance for any info you provide and thanks for sharing!
Old 11-12-2015, 07:06 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the awesome pics! - looks like lots of fun! - your boy is a madman!! (I mean that in a kind way - I have two young boys myself who love to celebrate their "boyness" at every chance)

You mentioned your boy's rig was running Losi axles, brushless, on 3s, 13.5t motor - are you running the stock LNC tranny and plastic gears? - if so, what size pinion are you running? - also, are you running stock worms or HD (or a combination)? - lastly, I noticed it had wheel wideners, at least on the pics of the rear…what size wideners are they and what kind of offset do the wheels themselves offer? (I'm trying to get an idea as to how much overall positive offset you are running compared to the stock LNC offset)

Thanks in advance for any info you provide and thanks for sharing!
This tube buggy is running HD worms front and rear with a LNC trans (metal gears) with a 16T pinion on 3S

That is a good setup for him for trail rides and G6's

When we do comp style courses, I swap out the rear axles for a stock 25:1 worm in the rear, HD front.

The other rigs pictured (Camo Ford and Blair Witch) are both running LNC metal gear transmissions, 13.5 motors on 4S. Same rules apply with Pinion and Worm combos.

I have been known to run 6S in these rigs as well! Ever hear a worm scream for mercy? Lol But, The HD's take the punishment! Never had one fail me! Knock on wood!

I lucked out and bought a bunch of the Hot racing metal trans gear kits when they were practically giving them away...Now, with them all in use, I've got no spares!

The spacers on the wheels pictured are the Vanquish SLW Hubs on Method Wheels. The buggy was running the size 650 hubs that day.

I try to stick with SLW hubs on all my rigs lately. Using 650, 750 and 850's depending on wheels, class and course gate widths.

Those sizes can increase my track width by about 1.5" over stock.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:49 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks for sharing your setup - and I did watch your pulling video on 6s - I think those worms made it sound like you had a turbine engine in your rig! - interestingly enough, while they did "scream", they didn't sound like they were screaming for mercy under what could certainly be considered a serious load (for the rears at least) - I'm impressed with how they handled the stress and RPMs - I know you were running a chromoly rear worm setup in that video

I'm modding my handmedown LNC right now for trailing and crawling - I'm going with a mostly stock setup, but have a hobbywing 13.5t sensored brushless setup coming, I'll be running white dot rover ex's on some knockoff Japanese aluminum/steel beadlock wheels - I've out-boarded the rear shocks at the axle and am running factory silver springs and shocks with 50wt oil - I also have a set of HD worms on hand that I'll be using front and rear

I am considering wheel spacers to widen the track for both stability as well as to allow for clearance for steering - it sounds like you're using around 19-20mm per side to give you the added 1.5" overall width

I'm pretty handy, so I am considering making my own metal transmission gears by joining a couple of pinion gears - as far as weak points, the plastic idler gears seem to have the potential to be a problem, especially with the brushless setup
Old 11-20-2015, 07:04 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

GIJoe - in my question to you regarding your setup on your son's truck, as well as (I think) has been mentioned in your other posts in this thread, mention was made of your son running the truck using a 3 cell lipo and a 13.5t brushless motor

While my nightcrawler build is different from your goals for your sons truck, when it comes to the kv of the motor used and the use of the HD worms along with the use of an essentially stock nightcrawler transmission to send the power to the axles (but I'm not fortunate enough to have the metal gear set), mine and his powertrains and drivetrains (and final gear ratios) are essentially identical

I'm trying to decide on a pinion tooth count right now - you said you had a 16 tooth gear on your sons rig - I was considering a pinion with a similar tooth count for my build, but I wanted to get a little more specific info on your sons esc/motor (2 pole or 4 pole?/is the Novak motor you chose a 540 sized can or is it larger?/what is the actual KV rating of the motor, what the mah and C ratings of the batteries you are using) - also, do you happen to know what the diameter of the tires is and the approximate weight of the wheels and tires (as you have it setup - so, for the weight of the wheels/tires, it would be helpful if you included any additional weight that you've added above and beyond just what one of the tires and one of the wheels)

Why am I asking for all of these specifics? - because each of the parameters I've asked about are things that should be considered when choosing the proper gearing - yes I'm a geek and will get considerable enjoyment out of analyzing the specifics of your setup and determining…

…(mostly by way of excessive, compulsive over-thinking, introducing a considerable amount of additional information, some applicable to the analysis, but most of it will just be useless and only serve to feed my compulsion to over complicate things that sane people can solve by counting their fingers and toes, performing an absurd number of Internet searches (with the vast majority of them steering me way off topic and most likely ending in me watching UFC 193 footage of Holly Holm nearly beheading Ronda Rousey with her left shin bone (I just love when good triumphs over evil), high speed, low drag, frantic, utterly disorganized , and uselessly illegible note taking, including the use of several different types of math, dozens of unlabeled measurement results that serve no use whatsoever later on as a reference tool, the unneeded use of highly accurate, calibrated drafting tools in an attempt to provide a visual representation of all of this madness, and the use of digital calipers to take measurements of things that, in no way, require measurements in thousandths of a millimeter)…

why the 16 tooth pinion works on your setup, whether it will work with mine, and, if not, the information you most generously provide will give me the tools to make an educated tooth count decision as opposed to buying 7-8 different size pinions until I get it dialed for the speed/torque I want and without letting the magical smoke out of my brand new brushless setup or wrecking one of my expensive lipos

See how I turned a simple question into an excessively long-winded and mostly incoherent, maniacal, rambling post?…yes, I probably need to see a doctor about that…
Old 11-21-2015, 08:11 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
GIJoe - in my question to you regarding your setup on your son's truck, as well as (I think) has been mentioned in your other posts in this thread, mention was made of your son running the truck using a 3 cell lipo and a 13.5t brushless motor

While my nightcrawler build is different from your goals for your sons truck, when it comes to the kv of the motor used and the use of the HD worms along with the use of an essentially stock nightcrawler transmission to send the power to the axles (but I'm not fortunate enough to have the metal gear set), mine and his powertrains and drivetrains (and final gear ratios) are essentially identical

I'm trying to decide on a pinion tooth count right now - you said you had a 16 tooth gear on your sons rig - I was considering a pinion with a similar tooth count for my build, but I wanted to get a little more specific info on your sons esc/motor (2 pole or 4 pole?/is the Novak motor you chose a 540 sized can or is it larger?/what is the actual KV rating of the motor, what the mah and C ratings of the batteries you are using) - also, do you happen to know what the diameter of the tires is and the approximate weight of the wheels and tires (as you have it setup - so, for the weight of the wheels/tires, it would be helpful if you included any additional weight that you've added above and beyond just what one of the tires and one of the wheels)

Why am I asking for all of these specifics? - because each of the parameters I've asked about are things that should be considered when choosing the proper gearing - yes I'm a geek and will get considerable enjoyment out of analyzing the specifics of your setup and determining…

…(mostly by way of excessive, compulsive over-thinking, introducing a considerable amount of additional information, some applicable to the analysis, but most of it will just be useless and only serve to feed my compulsion to over complicate things that sane people can solve by counting their fingers and toes, performing an absurd number of Internet searches (with the vast majority of them steering me way off topic and most likely ending in me watching UFC 193 footage of Holly Holm nearly beheading Ronda Rousey with her left shin bone (I just love when good triumphs over evil), high speed, low drag, frantic, utterly disorganized , and uselessly illegible note taking, including the use of several different types of math, dozens of unlabeled measurement results that serve no use whatsoever later on as a reference tool, the unneeded use of highly accurate, calibrated drafting tools in an attempt to provide a visual representation of all of this madness, and the use of digital calipers to take measurements of things that, in no way, require measurements in thousandths of a millimeter)…

why the 16 tooth pinion works on your setup, whether it will work with mine, and, if not, the information you most generously provide will give me the tools to make an educated tooth count decision as opposed to buying 7-8 different size pinions until I get it dialed for the speed/torque I want and without letting the magical smoke out of my brand new brushless setup or wrecking one of my expensive lipos

See how I turned a simple question into an excessively long-winded and mostly incoherent, maniacal, rambling post?…yes, I probably need to see a doctor about that…
No worries on the long winded post! Glad to assist!

I have tried many, many motor combos, gearing, transmissions and voltages in my Losi scale rigs. Velineon, Brushed, Pro-4, Revolver S, BIG Outrunner in Direct Drive.

2, 3, 4 and 6S

Axial Trans, LNC / LCC

I always go back to the Novak 13.5 Sensored (540) on 3 or 4S with a MMP. Its been the most reliable and smoothest combo to date.
The 13.5 is a 3300Kv (I think) and is very forgiving with gearing.

I mainly run a 16T pinion with the LNC trans.
OR, a 13T pinion with the LCC trans

Batteries are nothing special. 25 to 30c work fine. No heat issues or brown outs when a 13.5 is used

Furthermore, the 13.5 / MMP is VERY Efficient. A 1200mah 4S will run every bit of 25 minutes. Whereas the exact combo with a Revolver S only got me 8 minutes and puffed my lipo's!

My tire diameters are generally 4.75" or 5.25" and I keep the 16T pinion for both. Could I change it up? Sure, but laziness sets in! I'd rather BS with my axial buddies who are wrenching between courses!
Old 11-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

GIJoe

Can you send me a link to that (13.5 sensored(540) Novak 3300kv motor) I wouldn't mind ordering myself one to try out in my losi..Thanks for your time

Last edited by xv-townboy; 11-22-2015 at 01:42 PM.
xv-townboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xv-townboy View Post
GIJoe

Can you send me a link to that (13.5 sensored(540) Novak 3300kv motor) I wouldn't mind ordering myself one to try out in my losi..Thanks for your time
I prefer the older Silver Can SS model Novaks due to their sealed can design. Usually just buy used due to trashing them in mud / water. But the Ballistic model works just as well.

TowerHobbies.com | Novak Premium Ballistic Spec Brushless Motor 13.5T
Old 04-24-2016, 10:40 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

That's one bad rig

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
baconbits is offline   Reply With Quote

GiJoe's Losi Tube Buggy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GiJoe's New Class 2 Comp Rig GiJoe Team Losi Comp Crawler 63 11-24-2015 04:56 PM
New tube buggy 13u9 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 15 04-17-2009 10:18 AM