Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: The frankentruck build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2016, 12:49 AM   #1

Default The frankentruck build

There's no specific brand in this truck so I wasn't sure where to put this. I did some trading with a friend to get the parts to build me another crawler. I've been working on and fine tuning it for just about a week now. There's parts from Losi, traxxas, axial, hpi, g-made, ecx, rc4wd, and spektrum.

It all started in a box, and I had to engineer the entire truck.

In the first night, I got the front axle on.

Both axles on. Luckily the axles and links were assembled.

I had to mount the shocks in an unconventional way, due to the width of the axles and frame.

Then I got the motor and transmission mounted, but I had to space it out using shock piston tops. They came in handy the whole build.

I had to brace the chassis a bit because it would twist under flex. Some twist is good, but not as much as I was dealing with. The brace needed to have a spacers on each side so I used more shock piston tops.

Last edited by h1llb1lly88; 01-15-2016 at 09:29 AM.
h1llb1lly88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2016, 09:09 AM   #2

Default Re: The frankentruck build

The nature of this build being what it is, I'm not to worried about "pretty".

I had to make up a battery and electronics tray. I used a small piece of aluminum and bent it to get the angle I wanted.

I used an unknown brand plastic tray for the sideways portion. It does a better job of keeping the battery from sliding than the axial plate I was initially gonna use.

Mounting the tray took some thinking.. But I eventually settled on a long screw with spacers on the front. The spacers being... you guessed it... shock piston tops.

The rear was done in a more sophisticated manner. Using advanced construction materials.

I started getting the tires mounted, axial 1.9 trepadors on g-made 2.2 beadlocks.

I measured the wheelbase and it was just a bit longer than I wanted. So I found some shorter link ends that I had and swapped them out on the rear lowers. I also moved the rear upper links forward on the truck.

Next came the mounting of the esc and rx box. The esc holes luckily lined up perfect with the battery strap slots on the axial plate. So I just bolted it right down. For the rx box, I used even more advanced construction materials to seal it, and will be using the previous materials to tie it down.

Stay tuned for more to come....

Last edited by h1llb1lly88; 01-15-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:03 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

cool build, i am doing kind of the same thing. I have an scx frame and t-rex60 axles.... go the front under it and im pretty proud
onebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:34 PM   #4

I got all the wheels weighted and put on, the body mounted, and everything buttoned up and ready for a test run.

A flex shot. It articulates all the way with ease. Can't wait to give this thing a good shakedown.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:43 PM   #5

Since this is now in the LCC section, who can give me some advice on how to treat these LNC axles?
Old 01-15-2016, 10:51 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I can't tell from the photos, what tranny are you using?
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:20 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Grease the axles really well with a Moly Lube.

Also, the Axial trans will never work. The reduction is all wrong. Your rig will be painfully SLOW!

Put the Losi trans (LNC or LCC) back in.
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:32 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I have wanted to try using an axial trans on losi axles too. What is the final drive ratio with this set up? Also thinking about how fast of a motor would be needed?
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6575 View Post
I have wanted to try using an axial trans on losi axles too. What is the final drive ratio with this set up? Also thinking about how fast of a motor would be needed?

Usually, an axial trans will push the final drive wayyy beyond 150:1

Derrick tried all variations! Smallest spur / largest pinion, brushless motor on 6S!

He did achieve wheelspeed! But not without sacrificing the trans! It spun sooo fast, it literally blew the bearings apart!
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
I can't tell from the photos, what tranny are you using?
If I'm not mistaken it's an ecx 2wd transmission that's been "locked". I've got a 20t in it now, I'm gonna try a 15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiJoe View Post
Grease the axles really well with a Moly Lube.

Also, the Axial trans will never work. The reduction is all wrong. Your rig will be painfully SLOW!

Put the Losi trans (LNC or LCC) back in.
It was this or nothing. I have an LCC(?) transmission but it's in pieces and is missing some key components. It does a mild walking pace now at full throttle, I just don't think I'd wanna keep it there for long.

Last edited by h1llb1lly88; 01-17-2016 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:47 AM   #11

Well... I took it out for a test run this morning with a 15t in it. It's still woefully slow, and I broke the "locker" in the transmission.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I asked about your tranny because I had the same concern as GIJoe, very slow.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
I asked about your tranny because I had the same concern as GIJoe, very slow.
Exactly... It's really slow. I'm gonna look into rebuilding the LCC transmission I have.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:12 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Do you want dig? If not, what about just running the lnc trans? Super simple and cheap.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Do you want dig? If not, what about just running the lnc trans? Super simple and cheap.
Maybe at some point. I have an LCC transmission that has about 80% of the parts. If I could find an lnc transmission for trade or something that would be nice.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Im using a brushless outrunner with no transmission, a few others are too, its a good option if you dont need to creep super super slow
Rooster87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

i tried an axial tranny on mine originally, it was insanely slow. the lnc trans works great. i have lnc trans/axles under scx10 frame.
Liv3mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #18

Here's an update.... I've since learned the frame is a TCS Crawlers X-Trail frame or an ax-10, which is really nice and versatile. The truck has been through a few different configurations since I updated this, and I'm really happy with where it's at. It now has an axial 35t, an axial ae-5 esc, poison spider front bumper, and most importantly, scx10 axles!!! No more creepy crawly!! I've moved things around several times to get the weight distribution just right, it's currently sitting on 2.2 gmade wheels with 1.9 ripsaws. Although this weekend it's getting changed to some trepadors with axial 8hole Beadlocks. It beast modes just about anything I throw at it. I just love it all together.

Last edited by h1llb1lly88; 05-06-2016 at 12:27 PM.

The frankentruck build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JackedDriver's R1 Build (non-specific purpose / just wanted a good build) JackedDriver G-Made Crawlers 12 01-12-2016 07:59 PM
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM