Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Driveshafts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2016, 09:54 AM   #1

Default Driveshafts

How are you guys modifying the stampede driveshafts to fit on the LCC? Are you drilling out the output shafts to accept a grub screw that goes all the way through?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
timber beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Driveshafts

Not me. I just replaced the pin screw with regular set screws, both sides. You may have to shorten the driveshaft couplers by grinding to get the set screws positioned to drop into the flats. Never a problem as long as the screws actually make it onto the flats and don't contact too far out where the flat has stopped. These days I use mostly WB8's instead of Stampede. I used to use two Stampede females with a section of male to join them. I think I was trying to maximize use of the larger diameter females to counter twisting.

Last edited by Hardline; 04-18-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:21 PM   #3

Are the WB8's a direct fit?

timber beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:07 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I've put the "weak" Ascender shafts on the back my Night Crawler, while using the stock set up on the front of that and my Comp Crawler.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:10 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber beast View Post
Are the WB8's a direct fit?

Almost. The part number comes with different length plastic shafts -- you need the right ones for your car. I think I'm using the longest. And as I said, the set screws are too far out to make it onto the flats on the shafts, so the drive shaft coupler needs to be shortened to get the set screws into the right position. I just held mine against a power disc sander. Maybe about a mm.

You know...now that I'm thinking about it, the best Losi drive shaft will be a properly fitting stock LNC because it's by far the smallest diameter thus giving extra clearance to rock and less interference with overhead electronic trays and links. Strength is not much of an issue on Losi's because much of the torque multiplication takes place in the high axle gear ratios, past the drive shaft. The problem is the shaft has a T-pin running in an open slot, and it is very intolerant of any changes. Links, ride-height changes etc can push the pin to either end of the slot giving problems. Need to make the length adjustable without compromising the clearance advantage.

Last edited by Hardline; 04-21-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:34 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I just thought of a solution for that. Its never crossed my mind, but just run a longer 5mm cup. So if you want to extend your wheel base or whatever, your good to go. Not sure off hand which one someone could use but there's plenty of options since a lot of rc's use a cup for front, center or rear shafts. That pretty much makes the lnc driveshaft the best choice.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Driveshafts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driveshafts? Dtrex77 Indiana 4 10-17-2012 05:19 PM
driveshafts? pontiacfreak General Crawlers 18 01-08-2010 11:54 AM
Driveshafts robert97dodge Newbie General 13 06-16-2008 03:08 PM
Driveshafts clod & bruiser General Crawlers 9 05-22-2008 02:43 PM
driveshafts x-factormaxx Newbie General 7 05-10-2008 10:59 PM