Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi Steering mod design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2017, 11:18 PM   #241
Cll

Default Re: Losi Steering mod design

or now if you want
Cll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #242
I wanna be Dave

Well I guessed I over estimated the amount of support I thought I would get for this upgrade. Bad choice by me on the use of my time and money!!! Oh well, live and learn I guess. A big thanks to the few that did help me out with this project.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 03-11-2017 at 02:41 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #243
I wanna be Dave

I think the axles are good and should sell especially after some losi's start winning comps with your parts

149 r/c worx /scalerfab Team Driver
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:26 AM   #244

I was pleased to see someone still playing with Losi parts. Especially as the options down under are few and far between. You get my vote. Don't be discouraged. You might be surprised yet.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:51 AM   #245
I wanna be Dave

I would buy two more xr width kits if household six would allow it. I already have a scale and xr kit. she said no more lol... I tried codyboy. and on fb.. everybody left and right is buying a lnc and selling it a week later, in my area anyway. "to slow for me" is what they say. maybe offer what ya got left in the fs section?

now I see where the zippy ties go... just waiting on rear axle parts to put in my now renderless housings. horizon is on back order some parts.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:19 AM   #246
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
I would buy two more xr width kits if household six would allow it. I already have a scale and xr kit. she said no more lol... I tried codyboy. and on fb.. everybody left and right is buying a lnc and selling it a week later, in my area anyway. "to slow for me" is what they say. maybe offer what ya got left in the fs section?

now I see where the zippy ties go... just waiting on rear axle parts to put in my now renderless housings. horizon is on back order some parts.
What do you need for axle parts? I have a small stash of Losi parts including brand new upper link mounts they made for raising and lowering the upper links.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:41 PM   #247
I wanna be Dave

Hey Ernie, I know you stepping outside the box and making cool stuff for us, that's a nice pile of Lunsford machined brass! Buddy has HH Puller Pro Stubby 2700kv and loves it.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #248

I just came across this tread and this mod looks awesome! I'm really impressed by your skills.
Any chance you have a kit available? Please
EyeAmMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:26 PM   #249
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeAmMe View Post
I just came across this tread and this mod looks awesome! I'm really impressed by your skills.
Any chance you have a kit available? Please
Thank you for the kind words. I do have kits available and I'm going to sent you a PM with details.
Ernie
Old 03-27-2017, 11:12 AM   #250
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Thank you for the kind words. I do have kits available and I'm going to sent you a PM with details.
Ernie
Ok Oysten, Your package is headed to Oslo. It is amazing to me that I have sent 3 times as many axles International than to the States. Thanks again and enjoy your new steering!
Ernie
Old 04-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #251
I wanna be Dave

I have five more of these kits ready to ship!
Ernie
Old 05-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #252
I wanna be Dave

OK Cll here are the photos I promised you.

These are built with SSD chubs and Knuckles for the SCXii. The weights are some that I modified.

I could set up the steering for this if needed.

These are some of Dlux's version one knuckle weights from several years ago that might help you out.

This is the axle off my old original Losi crawler. They won't have the improved steering that we talked about, but all your stock parts would fit. They are hard to come by now.
Let me know if I can help you out.

Nice talking with you this morning!
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 05-04-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:17 PM   #253
I wanna be Dave

A set of scale width axles going to Arkansas. Thanks Andy!

Width hex to hex is 7 5/8", but can be adjusted a little narrower if needed. They would be just right for that scale rock crawler!
Anyone interested in the XR axles the width is 8 7/8".

One is going on his Kaiser.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 05-29-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:11 PM   #254
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
I used a I/2" long ss sleeve, the tangs from a couple rear axles, and axial unis. I machined the shaft end of the tang to fit in the sleeve, and did the same to the uni shaft. A little Saftey silv 56, flux, torch and they are together. I said in the beginning that I would try and design these for durability and as cost effectively as I can, that's what I came up with. I have over 40 hours into this R&D and I don't even have Losi that is running. I know it isn't the tag design but maybe there as reason he isn't doing them any more $$.

Ernie
So you say that silver solder works ok? Is this still true? I set out to build a losi axled Class 3 and did so last minute for scale nationals. Im using it at about XR10 width. I ended up welding the tang and grinding it to the shape of the losi ends, but its a bit crude honestly. I ran them through nationals and a little at Long Beach on that grippy stuff and havent broken anything yet. Just curious about other options

Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:57 AM   #255
I wanna be Dave

Hi Chris, nice to see you on here again!
I use these from McMasters, Stainless Steel Unthreaded Spacer, 1/4" OD, 3/8" Length, for Number 6.
I turn down the tang on the uni so spacer fits tightly and solder with Safety silv 56. Between the losi and ascender mods I have done probably 50 sets like this with no failures. Hope this helps you out.
Just a note, when I have the soldering done I put the uni back in the lathe and turn down the SS spacer to a OD just a little larger than the finished tang, saves on the amount of filing you need to do.
Ernie

Last edited by EeePee; 06-04-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:28 PM   #256
I wanna be Dave

Good to know. I like the idea of reducing the amount of heat you put into the shaft.

So just to make sure Im understanding you right, youre using 3 pieces total? The donor uni, the stainless sleeve, and the end thats mating into the losi? Or did I understand that wrong?

I sort of want to make a sporty with losi axles just for shitts
Old 06-05-2017, 01:47 AM   #257
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
Good to know. I like the idea of reducing the amount of heat you put into the shaft.

So just to make sure Im understanding you right, youre using 3 pieces total? The donor uni, the stainless sleeve, and the end thats mating into the losi? Or did I understand that wrong?

I sort of want to make a sporty with losi axles just for shitts
Wrong, I tried doing the first few that way, but it was easy to get the losi tang out of round with the uni. So, two pieces and the SS sleeve is filed down on four sides until it fits into the losi spool. That is why you want to turn the sleeve that is soldered to the uni shaft down to a little bigger OD than a sample losi tang ID. It takes about 5 min. to get it down to the right size.
I can take a photo you'd like, You know the one picture is worth a thousand word thing.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 06-05-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:37 PM   #258
I wanna be Dave

So you're hand filing the flats onto the tang? I assumed when you meant file, you were de-burring lol.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #259
I wanna be Dave

[QUOTE=Chris_The_Battery_Man;5715629]So you're hand filing the flats onto the tang? I assumed when you meant file, you were de-burring lol.[/QUOTE
Old 06-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #260

[QUOTE=CODYBOY;5715851]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
So you're hand filing the flats onto the tang? I assumed when you meant file, you were de-burring lol.[/QUOTE
If u still making these please pm me
Moore510 is offline   Reply With Quote

Losi Steering mod design - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi MRC steering mod fshnut007 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 9 08-30-2017 03:33 PM
What is the steering mod from Losi to Axial xr / Wraith knuckles called? Pennington Research Team Losi Comp Crawler 7 02-08-2015 07:27 PM
Xirtic + JP High Clearance Steering Mod on Mod JeffK11 RC4WD Bully 1 02-01-2012 09:55 AM
Front Dig Mod,steering mod & pushbar TheButcher69 General Crawlers 1 11-06-2006 06:32 PM