Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Gear troubles(losi nightcrawler)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 10:19 PM   #1

Default Gear troubles(losi nightcrawler)

So I put a better motor in my truck because the stock one sucked it's a 1/10 Tazer 4 pole Brushless Motor: 4000Kv part # dyn4943 it has awsome power I up graded to a all metal gear set with a 18 tooth pinion gear off the motor but I've striped 4 pinion gears all with in like 4 minutes does anyone have a idea of how to stop stripping gears?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
garretthough is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2017, 05:20 AM   #2
Custom Carbon Fiber

Default Re: Gear troubles(losi nightcrawler)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garretthough View Post
So I put a better motor in my truck because the stock one sucked it's a 1/10 Tazer 4 pole Brushless Motor: 4000Kv part # dyn4943 it has awsome power I up graded to a all metal gear set with a 18 tooth pinion gear off the motor but I've striped 4 pinion gears all with in like 4 minutes does anyone have a idea of how to stop stripping gears?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Pictures of the gears?

Metal on metal is rough expecially when the tranny gears are harder then pinions. What brand pinions have you been using?

4 minutes is quite extreme, almost like the pitch isnt quit right or the mesh is too far off.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yes, pick up robinson racing absolute pinions.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/robinson...454466?v=33749
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:05 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I also put brushless power in my nightcrawler, as well as installing the HD worm gear set in both axles

I installed the Hot Racing metal transmission gears and am running a pinion of unknown origin/quality that I chose based only on the number of teeth

If it provides any insight, it is a silver metal, but is not aluminum

I set the mesh carefully and when I tightened the motor in place, I did two things I felt were important:
1. I used a bit of blue threadlock on the motor screws…
…and…
2. I tightened the motor screws as tight as I could without stripping them/the motor

I did the installation only once and haven't had a single problem and nothing has come loose or moved - also, since the installation, me and my two boys have used and abused the vehicle - we are very hard on my crawler and Drive it like we stole it

We go over large obstacles at top speeds and if the tires ever bind up, we aren't shy about just hammering the 3S Lipo/Brushless power to force the vehicle out of the bind

Lastly, my boys have a tendency to do what I would expect to destroy pinions/tranny gears and that is they frequently slam it from top speed going forward to full throttle reverse and back again - and they do it all the time on very high traction surfaces like concrete

It makes me wince when they do it, but after a good 6 months of this type of abuse, we have yet to strip or damage a single pinion or trans gear, nor have we done any damage to any of the drivetrain whatsoever

It seems to me that you may be unknowingly using aluminum pinions and/or your mesh is set to loosely and/or your motor is moving out of alignment

Sent from my Apple iPhone 7…which, as you know, clearly defines me as being superior to you in every way
mudholestomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:29 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

The part where mudhole said 'set the gear mesh of the pinion carefully' is the important part.

There should be a little play between the pinion and the idler gear. Rule of thumb. Slide a strip of paper between the pinion and idler and tighten the motor screws. Maybe.

84yoda is right Robinson pinions are great.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:28 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I agree with the robinson racing pinions. I went through 5 various brand pinions before getting the absolute pinion. And it's lasted and actually runs quieter now.
xXxCheeziexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:33 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

only use rr pinions on anything. ive had to cut novak pinions to get them off after they have stripped. only had to cut into 1 rr gear once on a e buggy.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:26 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Metal on metal is rough expecially when the tranny gears are harder then pinions. What brand pinions have you been using?

4 minutes is quite extreme, almost like the pitch isnt quit right or the mesh is too far off.
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Yes, pick up robinson racing absolute pinions.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/robinson...454466?v=33749
X2, RR Super Hard Absolute are the only RR pinions I'll buy, their others are kinda roughly machined and not hard enough steel to last very long. I've had the set screw split the end of the pinion too, because it's machined so close to the end of the pinion.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Gear troubles(losi nightcrawler) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi Nightcrawler Little_Rockcrawler Team Losi Comp Crawler 5 05-08-2010 03:17 PM
losi nightcrawler NorCalScaleCrawlers Newbie General 4 10-03-2009 07:20 PM
losi Nightcrawler mesooners Team Losi Comp Crawler 14 09-12-2009 08:58 PM