Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Where do I go from here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2018, 04:43 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Where do I go from here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
What an awesome job on this build. I did a simmilar mod to my front end with the XR mod. Mine was modeled after Youngbloods rig. Check out his build it has some great shots of how he did his front end. The servo/battery/front link mount also is a truss for the front axle. I am using wraith knuckles by Vanquish, it allows adding weight on the knuckle with an RCBrothers adapter. My rig weighs about 4lb 4oz. The best thing I like is I can turn a lot better and I put my linkage behind the axle. I realy need to know what those tires are I LOVE THEM. I run HB Sedonas on mine. I tried a set of cut and shut Rovers and liked them a lot also. I shave the sidewalls on mine because I feel the side tread tends to suck me in a lot. Some guys I run with do and some dont, matter of driving style and opinion. The flex on this rig is sick, are you running a thick oil so it doesnt drop the tire in a hole? I limit mine to about one tires worth of flex, again my style of driving. I also have 2 MOAs that are setup about the same. Look forward to seeing how you like the way it crawls once you get it all dialed in. Mine will pull lines my MOAs wont sometimes. Dont be discouraged by the lack of followers on here, us Losi guys are a different breed. We are loyal if nothing else. I love my Losi LNC Sportsman! Keep posting please. Subscribed
Thank you Hal, the tires are a cheap brand off eBay .i did a search for 140mm rc crawler tires . Yes I have 50 wt oil in my shocks . Like I said to Ernie I’ve only got one pack through it and things were coming loose. But it seems most of the flex comes from the width , like it don’t go too far past 45 deg. Or stock , it’s just really wide now
And the axle mod I can’t take credit for ,that’s all codyboy designs . I just asked him if he would sell me it in kit form and he did. But it has wraith chubs and knuckles on it just knock offs they were really cheap . Just to get it up and running. I have another set coming because I don’t like the bolt on pitman arms on the knuckles, so I ordered solids but still knock offs of vp. They look more like a 2.2 chub and knuckle . Oh and the weight on mine just using a house scale atm but it came in just over 6 lbs it will be a little lighter when I get my batteries and a few other things.
And for the not posting I’m just about done with the build other than updates but I thank you for the kind words! I am going to do a hustler super sport shafty using Lois worm axles and for a buddy so I’ll have that to post on lol.
I’m running the stock lnc pistons reds and yellow springs I think are 2 lbs / inch rate and 50 wt oil. I have the front upper rods in the top hole on chassis and the middle hole on axle . The rear rods are upper hole chassis and bottom hole axle. And I for the moment have13 mm wheel adapters on both ends . The fronts will be coming off soon as I get a set of axial stock hex adapters . I’m not sure why it don’t flex down I’m sure with wheel time I’ll figure it out but for now I like it , it’s better than stock lnc for sure.
I’m going to redesign the steering I don’t like all the slop in the rod ends so I’m going to figure out a new system .......“ to be continued “
I have blue monkey style weight holders but they won’t work on my axle now unless I drill out another housing and leave the outside of the tube. They will work on my rear axle though. I may get a set of the brass knuckle weights for wraith . Or try a set of krazed builds design slug holder and modify them to fit my wheels . But I’m not sure yet so we’ll see on that.

Last edited by Rattzo1; 03-19-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Rattzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2018, 07:16 AM   #62
Quarry Creeper

I just hope it don’t loosen up too much I like it right where it’s at
Old 03-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #63
Hal
Quarry Creeper

It sounds similar to the setup I was running before changing to the "Mule" chassis I designed. The mule comes from a chassis that Vanquish made out of aluminum. I didnt like some of the geometry of it so I designed my own and had my LHS cut it out for me. Originally it had a roof line but I removed it for the shafty. Still have the Vanquish chassis but not sure what I will do with it. My grandson has been eying it so who knows. I have 2 five year old grandsons and man are they different. One is all about WFO driving, the other slow and precise throttle controll. The latter is eyeballing the VP chassis. I had the same issue with mine as far as it being tight in the beginning, it loosened up a bit but as long as I kept everything tight it performed very well. A lot of the guys I run with run with very little oil in their shocks, just for lubrication. I cant get the feel without at least some 30 wt, it just feels better/predictable with oil. I now run 30 wt in front and 20 in rear and am very happy. I have never gone with anything close to 50 wt but after what you said about yours I am definately going to try it. Mine still drops the front tire on big holes. Our outside course has some big holes. Well now that you are done building time to get some quality wheel time. You do know you are never done "building" there is always one more thing to tweak. I am a gearhead and enjoy the building as much as the driving. I love getting inspiration for my builds wherever or whenever I can. Detailed builds such as yours are always a pleasure to follow. Good luck on your future endeavors and I look forward to seeing any new posts you put up
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Thank you Hal,
I would love to get my 7yr old grandson into this hobbie, I think he would do good . I looked at those tires when I got home from work they are ottsix Schisms 2.2x5.5 or 140 mm . Ya I’ve have a feeling that it’s never ending . Heck I had 3 ideas in my closing paragraph lol. I love working on 1to1 autos so it figures it would carry over. I really enjoy it, making new things and trying them out.thatsthe most gratifying thing for me I guess. Making something stepping back and saying “I made that” is an Awsome feeling. I just wish I had some better tools like lathes mills and a small water jet and man I could make some neat stuff. Oh now that I know people are following I’ll post till they tell me to stop ha.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #65
Quarry Creeper

Ok so I’ll call this chapter 2 , after doing some reading and some asking I decided to do the LNC trany mod. The mod is easy except for one small detail that is probably not thought of,. So here we go , I got home from work tonight and wanted to rip into this and get it done ASAP like an hour or so. Well not gonna happen. The problem being I still have the stock brushed motor and the only other motor that I have is also brushed which isn’t a bad thing ,right ? Right! I get the trany assembly out tear it down and hack hack hack grind file file, goes the center gear. “Sweet “ I think this is going to be fast and I’ll be back on the ground in no time flat. So I start assembling the trany( I put ceramic bearing in the output shaft) all goes together great until I put the motor in and what the *^#% the top of the can hits the center gear, so now until I can afford to upgrade my motor and esc I have to build a shim to keep the top of the motor from hitting my center gear . Just my luck I can’t ever have anything go easy for me ! Pictures to follow coming soon
Old 03-20-2018, 06:47 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Stock is 20t pinion and I have an old losi 21 . I may use the 21 if I don’t go nuts first, just trying to get more wheel speed with the junk I have.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rattzo1; 03-20-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #67
Quarry Creeper

And
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

One thing I remember from back in the day is when setting your pinion use a piece of paper like this if if just marks the paper too loose ,if it accordions it it’s , good, if it shreds it too tight
Attached Images

Last edited by Rattzo1; 03-21-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:53 PM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Ok here it is a 30 min job into a 3 hour job!
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2018, 08:00 AM   #70
Quarry Creeper

Ok update/upgrades
Have you every bought something and forgot you bought it well I just did. I forgot that I bought a Novak setup so here’s a couple pics
Well it’s a club spec esc so I’ll put that in my xx-t and get /find a goat esc
Attached Images

Last edited by Rattzo1; 03-22-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

The shocks are Yeah Racing 120 mm desert lizard internal springs, they can be set up as droop or sprung and they are oil filled they were 19$ on eBay for 2. I set them up with a 10 mm med rate droop spring and a soft rate long spring on top. So basically I used the droop spring like a limiter ,they are 5 mm longer than my stock losi one and look a shit load cooler I think. And I also dropped them down to the lower link hole and mounted to the outside like the shock mod. My hope is that it don’t give more flex than it had set up this way and to look cool. The motor and esc I got from the classifieds it’s a sensored 17.5 Novak ballistic and the esc is Novak 2 and 3 s I believe, I can’t remember now , heck I forgot that I even bought the stuff till I got the mail this morning. Lol. And that trany mod wow what a difference if you have a lnc look into that . It is well worth the time.
Let me know what you think.

Last edited by Rattzo1; 03-21-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

So I got my krazed builds front axle plate this morning . I am going to use this for a couple reasons but the biggest reason is that my upper track rods hit the bottom of the battery tray when they are in the upper hole on the chassis. The other reason I want to see if it takes some of the flex out of the steering. I was watching the stock tray yesterday and noticed there was a lot of flex in the servo tray. We will see I guess
Old 03-24-2018, 07:01 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Ok I started the instal of the Krazed builds axle plate. I don’t like how he suggests to file the hump off the top of the worm gear part of the housing . If it was better plastic or aluminum I may have done it but this plastic sux. So I took one of my aftermarket 3 hole link mounts and filed it flat. It kind of acts as a truss for the axle and it supports the plate just fine. Second thing I’m doing is making new track rods to factory spec well just the bottoms I have the uppers . But ive got to wait for my order of 5mm 4mm 3mmand 2.5 mm titanium rod to get here from China so probably not going to be done till the end of next week. I am going to use the chubs and knuckles off my buddies wraith I really really really don’t like the generic ones I’ve bought . Both sets suck way too much slop the angles aren’t right either. So I’m saving for vp xr10 or wraith set. And I will be setting it up with a behind the axle steering rod . With the servo on the side on this plate should take up a lot of the sloppy feel in my steering as well . I need to get a goat esc yet but it works with the one I’ve got in it it just don’t have reverse. That’s about it for now oh I’m going to buy some 22t pinions and have my buddy machine them to accept the bearings out of the center gear on my trany . I may try doing it myself idk yet no big deal really just drill it to the outside dia. of the bearing then make a spacer to fit between the two bearings. Like I said we’ll see
Attached Images

Last edited by Rattzo1; 03-25-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:48 PM   #74
Rock Stacker

Keep up the good work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tjsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:15 PM   #75
Tib
Pebble Pounder

Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:54 AM   #76
Quarry Creeper

I decided to cut some of the little knobbys out of my front tires . When I was running the only pack I got threw it I noticed it has a lot of spin until it hit a certain spot on the tire, the knobbys were acting like ramps and filling the sipes and making it skip the big sipes with knobbys in them so chop chop. I think it will help. And I got my track rods made just need new rod ends . Not much going on this weekend was spring cleaning my garage lol.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

So I'm doing a set of complete build losi front and rears for a customer and building the rear I realized that the rear axial shafts I did for you were probably to long by about 5/16"? If you want me to fix them for you send them back and I can do that for you. Shipping only $$.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:48 AM   #78
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
So I'm doing a set of complete build losi front and rears for a customer and building the rear I realized that the rear axial shafts I did for you were probably to long by about 5/16"? If you want me to fix them for you send them back and I can do that for you. Shipping only $$.
Ernie
I’ve got something totally different in mind with mine so all is good , thank you though
Old 03-29-2018, 05:05 PM   #79
Quarry Creeper

Two more orders : VP Titanium 3/16 105 and 120 mm track rods ,
3 pack of 8 Losi rod ends,
Castle creations 2s-6s 10 amp external Bec, and
Savox SA-1230SG monster torque high speed cordless steel gear servo, and now sit back and wait..... oh ya guess I should work on the wraith or hustler...
Old 03-31-2018, 06:45 AM   #80
Quarry Creeper

got me a goat3 set up . I msg the guy on eBay and got it on an offer . Got 16 ss track rods coming for my stock pile as well.

Last edited by Rattzo1; 03-31-2018 at 06:48 AM.