Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Robbobs bored and building a shafty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #1
Custom Carbon Fiber

Default Robbobs bored and building a shafty

Well seeing that my Dominator chassis XR is working so well for me and practice seems to be 2 packs a week I figured I might as well start a sporty build. Not much for being 'ordinary' and remembering how much luck I had with my LCC once I got the right setup and learned how to drive I decided lets do it this way.

So having a girlfriend who understands a man playing with toys is acceptable she tells me about a hobby shop closing up. Ya hey lets go see if they got anything good. So I ask the guy, how much for the Nightcrawler in the corner. He says Ill give it to you for my cost. Hmmm knowing more then he realizes I say well how much did you pay? He says 238$ and its yours ..... So I think thats about 138$ more then its worth but I can use the RTR electronics in the Grasshopper 2 I was getting my daughter so SOLD!

On the way home I got ideas just crushing my tiny cranium and cant wait to get on the CAD and start taking measurements.

Out of the box it comes ....... Girlfriend says 'you gonna drive it?' ....... Nope Im taking it apart to build it my way. She just looks at me and says good luck lol.

Still love these tires ......

And a little RTR shot

So seeing that sporty rigs these days are apparently capable of running pro course the first thing I tackled was the front end. STEERING! Stock just wasnt gonna cut it for me. Seeing rigs with the old TAG kits on them I went hunting. Apparently they are as extinct as the truck itself almost is but I did run across the next best idea.

i found Youngbloods (YB's outrunner sportster) outrunner sportster build and knew what to do. AR nubs and some fabrication. The part that really drives me about this hobby, make your own parts. Why make them when you can just buy them like everyone else? Well as someone once said ...... 'because we can' ........ and thats what started it.

So stock axle and XR donor

Stock axle and AR axle taped where you have to cut it

Cut - Drilled - Losi ears sanded off - Nice and snug

Now for the axles ...... with my copy from Egressor's XR build. So I take some brass pieces and axles from the oldschool clodbuster. Mix that with a drilled out stock and HD locker and boom I got something going.

So then I take the clod axles and dill them out ..... slid a set of XR fronts in and get them welded

BOOM ...... front axle complete and I got steering
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #2
Custom Carbon Fiber

Default Re: Robbobs bored and building a shafty

Now lets do this transmission and narrow it up some ...... So I rolled the stock idler up some which lets me bring the motor in closer to the drive gear. While Im at it lets make a real brace for that idler so 'maybe' we wont blow it out.

And well thats about all I got so far ........ Skid material coming next week puts me at a stall for now but whos in a rush really.

Slow but gonna be fun to build up this dinosaur
Old 07-02-2015, 10:32 PM   #3
5th D Owner/Driver

Hellava start, I knew you'd build a sporty soon!
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:22 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Very nice sir !!

As a die hard Losi fan,-I most certainly will follow this build closely

Very clean and clever front axle!

And really love that compact transmission ! (hint-hint)

Last edited by JENS; 07-03-2015 at 02:25 AM.
JENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Really nice work, How will you keep the brass inserts from spinning inside the worm gear ?
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:30 PM   #6
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post
Really nice work, How will you keep the brass inserts from spinning inside the worm gear ?

Loctite 609 and a really really tight press fit.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:45 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Nice job on the XR10 mod!!! Are we going to have a new source for some Losi parts?
rob5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:38 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Well seeing that my Dominator chassis XR is working so well for me and practice seems to be 2 packs a week I figured I might as well start a sporty build. Not much for being 'ordinary' and remembering how much luck I had with my LCC once I got the right setup and learned how to drive I decided lets do it this way.

So having a girlfriend who understands a man playing with toys is acceptable she tells me about a hobby shop closing up. Ya hey lets go see if they got anything good. So I ask the guy, how much for the Nightcrawler in the corner. He says Ill give it to you for my cost. Hmmm knowing more then he realizes I say well how much did you pay? He says 238$ and its yours ..... So I think thats about 138$ more then its worth but I can use the RTR electronics in the Grasshopper 2 I was getting my daughter so SOLD!

On the way home I got ideas just crushing my tiny cranium and cant wait to get on the CAD and start taking measurements.

Out of the box it comes ....... Girlfriend says 'you gonna drive it?' ....... Nope Im taking it apart to build it my way. She just looks at me and says good luck lol.

And a little RTR shot

So seeing that sporty rigs these days are apparently capable of running pro course the first thing I tackled was the front end. STEERING! Stock just wasnt gonna cut it for me. Seeing rigs with the old TAG kits on them I went hunting. Apparently they are as extinct as the truck itself almost is but I did run across the next best idea.

i found Youngbloods (YB's outrunner sportster) outrunner sportster build and knew what to do. AR nubs and some fabrication. The part that really drives me about this hobby, make your own parts. Why make them when you can just buy them like everyone else? Well as someone once said ...... 'because we can' ........ and thats what started it.

Now for the axles ...... with my copy from Egressor's XR build. So I take some brass pieces and axles from the oldschool clodbuster. Mix that with a drilled out stock and HD locker and boom I got something going.

So then I take the clod axles and dill them out ..... slid a set of XR fronts in and get them welded

Do you even weld braaah ? You should stick to cutting carbon parts for me and send me stuff you need welded ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purptr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:41 PM   #9
MODERATOR™

Quote:

And a little RTR shot

Yay huge quote!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:43 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Yay huge quote!
Have you been taking lessons from, The violator!

;)
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:58 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yay huge quote!

Oh I'm sorry that when I quote from my phone it doesn't give me the option to select specific parts to quote to keep the size down so you're more "satisfied with the size"

Purptr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:15 PM   #12
RCC Addict

What's up Robbob, you're a mad man!
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:15 PM   #13
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Now lets do this transmission and narrow it up some ...... So I rolled the stock idler up some which lets me bring the motor in closer to the drive gear. While Im at it lets make a real brace for that idler so 'maybe' we wont blow it out.

And well thats about all I got so far ........ Skid material coming next week puts me at a stall for now but whos in a rush really.

Slow but gonna be fun to build up this dinosaur
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
Hellava start, I knew you'd build a sporty soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JENS View Post
Very nice sir !!

As a die hard Losi fan,-I most certainly will follow this build closely

Very clean and clever front axle!

And really love that compact transmission ! (hint-hint)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post
Quote:
Loctite 609 and a really really tight press fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob5059 View Post
Nice job on the XR10 mod!!! Are we going to have a new source for some Losi parts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purptr8r View Post
Do you even weld braaah ? You should stick to cutting carbon parts for me and send me stuff you need welded ;)

Quote:
Yay huge quote!
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Have you been taking lessons from, The violator!

;)
Quote:
Oh I'm sorry that when I quote from my phone it doesn't give me the option to select specific parts to quote to keep the size down so you're more "satisfied with the size"

What?

Sent from my iMac
Old 07-05-2015, 03:59 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I *think* you should start with the HD worms instead of stock
crashtestheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:49 AM   #15
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob5059 View Post
Don't know yet ..... maybe but right now its kind of a one build run. The Losi was/is a great truck but I think parts are less found then the XR.

Maybe some small run things to go with other stuff already out but probably nothing big.

Quote:

That would be a NOPE ...... Braze yes but welding was never a good point for me. I had my ex-father inlaw do this for me. Nice simple flux core .
Sexy doesn't get hidden inside axles ..... 'looks good to me' does

Quote:

Its ok ..... we still love your tapatalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 860Crawler View Post
What's up Robbob, you're a mad man!
Hows PA been? Ready to come back yet?

Quote:
What?

Sent from my iMac
iMAC ? ................ and I thought so much more

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtestheli View Post
I *think* you should start with the HD worms instead of stock
Yup doing just that. Did the stock one first to see how it was drilling out the locker and fit everything. Now I got a spare stocker and spare HD if something should happen.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Are the HD spools faster or slower..and where do you get em

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
dasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:40 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasco View Post
Are the HD spools faster or slower..and where do you get em

HD's are faster,- 21t vs stock 25t

Losi part # is LOSA3187,-can be found on Ebay for example
JENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:46 PM   #18
MODERATOR™

Losi HD Worm Gear Set (LOSA3187) | RC Car & Truck Parts | RC Planet

http://www.horizonhobby.com/hd-worm-...--ncr-losa3187

Etc... they're all over if you look.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:13 AM   #19
Custom Carbon Fiber

And I thought I scored big when my LHS had one set hanging on the wall. Of course he was surprised I knew what they were through all the dust that was on them.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENS View Post
HD's are faster,- 21t vs stock 25t

Losi part # is LOSA3187,-can be found on Ebay for example
Will the stock worm pinion work with the hd spool?

dasco is offline   Reply With Quote

Robbobs bored and building a shafty - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawlinhulls building a shafty? crawlinghulls Axial AX-10 Scorpion 42 08-23-2015 05:29 PM
Newbie to building a 2.2 Shafty blackfox93 Newbie General 1 01-29-2015 11:16 PM
Robbobs LCC Robbob Team Losi Comp Crawler 216 09-09-2011 11:32 AM