Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Where do I go from here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Where do I go from here?

Hey all . My name is Tod and I would really like all of your opinions good and bad. I just got this night crawler for a gift and I’m wanting to upgrade it, the problem being the lack of OEM and Aftermarket parts on the market. I am a novice rc driver and a newbie rock crawler. However I am very mechanically inclined having worked in the auto body industry for 25 years . So I’m pretty comfortable making some of the parts but some I have no idea where to start . Please please please give an old man some advice. I really like the “ shafty” and would like to make it as close to a comp contender as possible thank you all
Rattzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Default Re: Where do I go from here?

Wheel time. Very little needs to be upgraded for a new guy just learning. Even then, very little needs to be upgraded. Better electronics and tires mostly.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:26 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

What EeePee said, and when your ready for a little more steering check out how to build my upgrade.
Losi Steering mod design
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:43 PM   #4
Hal
Quarry Creeper

If you want a "shafty" to do comps or just a real capable crawler, look on here in the Losi Comp Crawler (LCC / LNC) section. There is a lot of good info here. I just got done making a Losi Sporty (shafty.) The first thing I did was get rid of the battery tray and get a smaller battery I could mount on the front axle ,900 mah. I made a mount to put servo on right side and battery on left. The speed controller was then put on a mount between the front links. All made from .062 in thick aluminum. Try to bias your weight to the front 60/40 or so. I would either get some different rims or spacers to make the track a bit wider to make it more stable, especialy in the front. I like HB Rovers or Sedonas for tires with CI foams soft front med rear on .750 wide rims. If you can find a stock LNC or LCC diff get it for the rear. It will underdrive the rear and help it climb without wanting to wheely. Slower ratio in rear lets front do more work There is also a mod called a TAG mod for the front end. It involves putting XR10 front parts on to your Losi axle. Lot of work to do but totaly worth it to get the steering to turn better. You will notice LNC doesnt have a lot of wheel speed so eventually you will want a faster motor once you get used to the truck. Start with handling then climbing and sidehilling and speed last. Limit your articulation to about one tires height. A lot realy looks cool but doesnt realy help crawling. Soft suspension helps crawling. A bit softer in front than rear. Any questions feel free to pm me and I will try to help. Good luck, welcome to our sickness called crawling.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:25 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thank you guys so far so good. I should of added that my LNC is more of a basket case at the moment as i have bought a few upgrades that i could find oem track rods aluminum LCC upper and lower i have steel gears ordered upper track rod adjustable mount and aluminum lower mounts and pins. I also am making some track rods myself from brass and aluminum to see if it helps the center of gravity .ive weighted my wheels with 2 oz and trimed my foams . i like tinkering and ive been lurking lcc/lcn forums since ive got the rig. I definitely need wheel time but i dont want the rig to be the weak piont of my experience in the sport and basically im trying to get it as close as i can to a lcc.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:18 AM   #6
MODERATOR™

Del Monte and I have very long threads about our LCCs with an overload of stuff to read. You can search by user name in the Losi section. And the other Losi driver too but I can't think of his name right now. He did a neat trick to move the transmission over to center the driveshafts to allow him to bend the rear links a bit for breakover clearance. Dlux had a good one too.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:25 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Del Monte and I have very long threads about our LCCs with an overload of stuff to read. You can search by user name in the Losi section. And the other Losi driver too but I can't think of his name right now. He did a neat trick to move the transmission over to center the driveshafts to allow him to bend the rear links a bit for breakover clearance. Dlux had a good one too.
Love that yellow. That’s what I’m shooting for basically a LCC out of the LNC minus the dig . Great thread and I’m still searching but work calls so I’ll look again later
Old 01-16-2018, 05:27 AM   #8
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Rubbaneck
Rubba's TLR Comp Crawler Prototype

Another great thread too
Robbobs LCC
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
What EeePee said, and when your ready for a little more steering check out how to build my upgrade.
Losi Steering mod design
Ernie
Looks great Cody how much wheel time do you have on that coversion and have you had any problems or breakages?
Old 01-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Wheel time. Very little needs to be upgraded for a new guy just learning. Even then, very little needs to be upgraded. Better electronics and tires mostly.
Yes i found that out the first day i got the rig. My bud got a wraith rtr and i the LNC . of course you already know the outcome he was faster i could crawl better.
I love it i just want to do upgrades like the track rods "plastic sux" and i figured that i would post on here so i didnt waist time and effort and most important money on a no good upgrade. That is all really. I know you giys have been crawlin for a long time and could point me in a generally good direction
Tod
Old 01-16-2018, 09:24 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=Robbob;5788601]Rubbaneck
Rubba's TLR Comp Crawler Prototype

Another great thread too
Robbobs LCC[/QUOTE.

Damn 3rd party lockout ont this phone ill have to wait till later to look at the pics but it sounds like the stuff i want to do on a build . i cant wait to see it Tomorrow

Last edited by Rattzo1; 02-12-2018 at 04:33 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:58 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattzo1 View Post
Looks great Cody how much wheel time do you have on that coversion and have you had any problems or breakages?
No wheel time for me, the rig I have is just a display for my axle upgrade. (I switched from comp to scale crawling several years ago) But, I have sold well over 20 kits and I haven't had any reports of breakage. I started building these when the TAG kit was no longer available. It was inspired by the TAG kit and answered some of the weaknesses in that system.
There are several members on here that could attest to their quality and improved steering.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:22 PM   #13
Hal
Quarry Creeper

I like basket cases. They are usualy cheap to buy as long as all the parts are there. A good source for me to get parts, losi or axial is Hobby etc in New Hampshire. They cary a lot of Hot Racing parts and some losi racing stuff also. Keep building
Old 01-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
I like basket cases. They are usualy cheap to buy as long as all the parts are there. A good source for me to get parts, losi or axial is Hobby etc in New Hampshire. They cary a lot of Hot Racing parts and some losi racing stuff also. Keep building
Well hal i had the rig bought for me from my friend. Kind of a trade for labor, ive been helping him on work on his house. So i created the basket myself afet i found some losi links i decided to rip it down and wait for the parts to arrive. That is why i asked about upgrades and such being that he is all tore down i figured there is no better tim than now to do them .once i figure out how to post pics ill have the whole build to post
Old 01-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Im also building my buds wraith but thats a diff thread. But it looks interesting.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:43 PM   #16
Hal
Quarry Creeper

Looking forward to the pics. Ive done a XR mod to my Losi front axle. Not scaler width but XR 10 width, I plan on comping with it.. I dint use anything inside the axle but used a truss to hook both ends to the center. The truss mounts the servo and the battery. I saw one very similar here in another thread. I do like the TAG style axle mod because it adds weight.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:20 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I’m trying to get the pics up but it’s giving me a rough time. And please be kind this is my first one and I’m really enjoying it. I am also building a wraith for my buddy I’ve got my hands full so some things aren’t perfect that and I’m still refining my bender so yeah be nice .,pics are coming soon as I can figure it out
Old 02-01-2018, 05:54 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

So here it is in all its glory , the only thing I’ve done at this point is add 2 ounces to all four wheels
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2018, 06:01 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

This is the scrap pile lol, at this point I have already inspected the diffs just to make sure it only had one shim on each side of the worm gear and that everything was wearing correctly. I topped off the shocks they were all about 75% full . that’s about it .
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2018, 06:22 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I’ve already have most of it back together i read on rc somewhere that it helps to run the shock upside down in the front ( it keeps the center of gravity lower) so I did that mod. I made the lower track rods from a set of Traxxas 100 mm turn buckles . I made the uppers from 5 mm stainless steel rod.i made the steering links from 3/16 brass rod and they all use Traxxas 4 mm rod ends. Found on eBay a set of side vertical plates that had the comp crawler pins and shock mounts( got lucky there) for a 15$ . I got a set of upper trailing rod adjustable mounts for the axles . And a set of HR lock outs . Motor tranny are stock. I’m going to run it till it needs changed ,with all the added weight I don’t think it will take long. I also got a set of inflatable wheels and swapped my stock tires over to them.now I’m building the front servo and receiver or speed control mount and a plate for wichever don’t go up front , and a battery mount, I think I’m going to make a small tray and mount it directly over the motor idk yet. To be continued
Attached Images

Last edited by Rattzo1; 02-01-2018 at 07:24 PM.