Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: What size battery mounted on LNC links?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2018, 09:01 AM   #1

Default What size battery mounted on LNC links?

I've searched for and found descriptions and pics of the DIY battery mount plate for the upper links of the LNC, but no mention of limit of battery size that will fit, or specific batteries that fit. And there has to be allowance for velcro strap thickness.

So far I'm guessing that battery max dimensions are 70mm x 50mm. The thickness I'm less sure about. It looks like 25mm might not work, esp if spacers are used to raise the flat plate to avoid the driveshaft.

I can find two or three batteries with excellent specs if 25mm will fit:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...___store=en_us

Hard case and only $20.

But if this won't fit this is the only battery I found that may fit and still be at least 2000mah, for $40:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/dynamit...yn1475/p249547

Can anyone tell me what batteries they used, or at least what are good dimensions to adhere to?

Thank you.
H2Ohaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2018, 05:36 PM   #2
Tib
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: What size battery mounted on LNC links?

I'm not sure about mounting them on the links since i'm using the factory battery tray on my Comp Crawler but I can tell you that I have the Turnigy LiPo you have the link for and i have had plenty of good things to same about that battery. I have probably 30 cycles on it and it's a strong battery with good run time. You could always search for a LCC Battery Tray and use that instead. They are hard to find but I was able to score a spare a few months back.
Tib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:41 AM   #3
Hal
Quarry Creeper

I have a lnc2. I am running a 900 on my front axle. I probably could go a bit bigger but this one fits with plenty of room for the wheels. I also have the xr mod so my front end is a bit wider. I did run the same setup on my stock front end. I dont like the battery tray option it puts cg too high. If it is a trail basher make sure to grease front and rear diffs often. Losi's like to go through worm gears if not lubed often. I use mobilith 360 in mine. Its marine grade and have never had a problem.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
I have a lnc2. I am running a 900 on my front axle. I probably could go a bit bigger but this one fits with plenty of room for the wheels. I also have the xr mod so my front end is a bit wider. I did run the same setup on my stock front end. I dont like the battery tray option it puts cg too high. If it is a trail basher make sure to grease front and rear diffs often. Losi's like to go through worm gears if not lubed often. I use mobilith 360 in mine. Its marine grade and have never had a problem.
Would that be a 2S or 3S? What are the physical dimensions? When you say you could go a little bit bigger, is this the length or height, and by how much? What is the brand or do you have a link? What is your runtime?

Sorry for extra questions, but I need to nail this, as it looks like a lot of things influence max physical size, and it's dynamic- changes as the shocks compress. And whether shocks are compressing equally or axle is articulating.

When I look at the LNC, and flex front shocks, I think it may get complicated. Battery max size may depend on whether i can live with less than 100% travel, or perhaps relocating receiver and dremeling out the front part of the stock overhead tray...? Also have to put standoffs under wide part of DIY traymount to miss hitting LNC driveshaft (maybe 1/8 inch tall?).

I do intend the XR steering upgrade, and others. For now though, have to keep things stock, learn the beast with only rear underdriven and using a low 12T Pinion. Only need rpm to get over tough rock spots/skid plate hangups.

There is a battery that I think will fit with no sacrifice, except it is only 2S and $40, being < 16mm:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/dynamit...yn1475/p249547

perhaps I should also ask advantages 3S vs 2S? I know more rpm and torque...other stuff like relative runtimes?

Last edited by H2Ohaze; 02-01-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #5
Hal
Quarry Creeper

OK, so the dimensions on my pack are l.25 wide x 1.00 thick x 2.50 long. Its a 3s soft pack Thunderpack. I get about 10 to 12 min run time. I do comps with mine so 5 to 6 min is all I need. If you run much longer than 12 min make sure to keep an eye on the diff temp. I am running a modified chassis much more like the Losi Comp Crawler. You realy dont need crazy articulation, mine flexes about the height of my tire. A lot of flex looks cool but can be a nightmare trying to cross holes. The front / rear will just fall in. The battery weight doesnt realy come in to play as much if its mounted on the axle, other than front rear bias. I run as light a spring as possible Mini T pink front and rear with Traxas big bore shocks. The pack you have the link to may fit on or in between your links. Get the weight low!!! It will crawl soooo much better. Le us all know how you made out.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
Hal
Quarry Creeper

The 3s will give more wheel speed. KV = 1000 revolutions per volt with brushless, so 11.1 volts bumps it up signifigantly. If you dont gear down with higher voltage you will overheat motor, battery and or esc. Run time is about the same once gearing is dialed in but way better speed. Its a crawler I understand but the Losi can use more wheel speed imo.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:39 PM   #7
MODERATOR™

3S 1300 mah fit

Last edited by EeePee; 02-01-2018 at 09:32 PM.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:00 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies, I'm getting some ideas taking shape now, from your replies.

I'm already geared down to a 12T pinion, and I've run a 2000mah 2s a few times. I am just climbing over rocks as I ascend a trail up a hillside. Sometimes there are "steps" of rocks about 1-2 feet high some over 60 degrees, some not so serious. Flat sections are short, so going slow is not a handicap that way. I'm getting about 40 min runtime. I've checked the temps of the axles with an infared and got 15 degrees over ambient temp max.

With more speed I may be able to get a "jump" over some of the steps, or shake myself off of a hangup. So that was why I was thinking maybe 3s.

I've done a little research into 3S 1300mah (thanks for the idea), and seems to be the best compromise between thickness and mah rating.

I thought I would get the 2S 2000mah Dynamite battery in my post above, I found it discounted in stock for $27 shipped. It is the thinnest battery of any at 15.8mm.

Then get a 3S battery at some point. For now I have a 2200mah version, heavy and big which can be put in the stock upper tray. A 1300 3S will at best come in at 21mm thick...but I will get a chance to see the 2S 15.8mm in action crawling, esp if I leave the body off. So I can then decide to tweak that 1300 up to 1500 or down to 1000, say, based on practical thickness needed.

Measuring temps with my big 3S 2200mah will also be interesting

Again, thanks for the help.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:36 PM   #9
MODERATOR™

Yeah, I used Hyperion 1300 mah, 3S with no problems.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Yeah, I used Hyperion 1300 mah, 3S with no problems.

Dimensions: 67.7 x 35.3 x 23.1mm

Thanks for the info. If you can fit that battery on the links with no problem, the selection of 3S batteries opens up some- I even saw a few around 1400mah the same thickness about.

This has been very useful to me, thanks to all who responded. The two forks I'm going to go down, as said, are get the Dynamite super thin 2S 2000mah in, try it, look at how the shocks work while crawling over rocks- see how much more thickness I can go with (sounds like 23mm at least). Second fork is put my 3S 2200 big battery in top tray, run it and check temps on motor and axle. Then get a 3S around 1300 if all goes well.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #11

Today I ran the LNC on a 3S 2200 mah for 60 minutes. The battery is 6 oz and it flopped the shocks around sitting on top. My technique on the rocks was to go at approx same speed as previous 2S outings, except use the extra speed when needed to boost over drops or when skidplate was hungup. Still, I like the extra speed! I kept track of pack voltage and temps of motor and axles.

I used up only a little over half of the battery in an hour this way. Doing the math a 1300mah 3S if equal otherwise would give a 45 min runtime with it being discharged to 30%. So this is good news if accurate.

Max temp of motor was only about 15 degrees above ambient. It was a little hard to hit with infrared with body on. Max axle temp was rear, where at one point it reached 78 degrees, or 28 degrees above ambient. Front axle never got over about 18 degrees over. I am using HD 21T in front and older stock 25T in rear. I think I noticed that when I gunned the throttle it made sharp turns more...kind of like a semi-dig. Difference in wheel speed F/R-->greater with 3S gunning than 2S gunning.

I also found pdf manual of the Losi Comp Crawler. I like the design of the forward, lower battery tray, and provision of two spacer rods across the two side plates (no big battery tray taking up the space at top), and the small bits that are needed to attach shocks. But I couldn't find any of these parts anywhere, not even eBay, so I can't go that way.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:16 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Ok H2Ohaze, headed your way!

Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #13

It looks great Ernie. I changed my strategy, and found a 3S 800mah battery from MaxAmps that will fit on the CF tray on AXLE. These guys will even do specials beyond adding the connector of your choice, like custom lead lengths. They claim a true 40C continuous.

Just to give a shout out, Ernie not only does quality builds, he was more than willing to answer my (many) questions and even advise on and build the extra parts needed to complete the assembly (C-Hubs, weighted knuckles, tie rods, etc) in my case...being a complete noob. He even installed upgrade servo and adjusted drag link and tie rod. I'm looking forward to getting it, it's about as PnP as you can get

Last edited by H2Ohaze; 02-22-2018 at 11:41 AM.

What size battery mounted on LNC links? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axle mounted battery DADSanRCjunkie HPI Wheely King 9 12-31-2013 08:32 AM
pinion size for a 35t in a LNC FruitaCrawler Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 03-16-2011 09:50 AM
battery & ESC mounted plates on the links - affects articulation? y2kgtp General Crawlers 6 03-04-2010 11:19 AM
Battery Packs Mounted On Links? Robb Electronics 4 03-23-2008 07:58 PM