Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: More weight to keep Night Crawler SE planted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2019, 03:07 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: More weight to keep Night Crawler SE planted

I've never had an issue using marine grease or the TLR grey grease that came with my racing kits. Still using the stock brushed motor?
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2019, 07:25 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
I've never had an issue using marine grease or the TLR grey grease that came with my racing kits. Still using the stock brushed motor?
I did find some DFL at an out of the way auto parts store. I was looking for that because it was recommended in the sticky in the friction sticky on the first page.

Yes, still the stock brushed motor.
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:28 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Stock motor is probably your issue. Ive used one once. Brushed motors in these are never reliable. If you want a good setup.. I recomend the castle mamba micro x crawler sensored esc paired with a trinity 13.5 (of any flavor). The punisher might be the cheapest new. You can also look for used 13.5's from your local racing group if you have one.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:03 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

What grease you use in the diffs is not that critical. I use a common synthetic chassis lube found in the small tubes at the auto parts store. I am still using the same worms after 7-years. I would disagree that brushed motors are never reliable. I have been using the same Holmes brushed motor for about 4-years running on 3S. The others guys I crawl with also continue to use brushed motors. My son switched to a brushless sensored motor in his LNC and feels that he had better low speed throttle control with the brushed motor.
jgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:30 AM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
Stock motor is probably your issue. Ive used one once. Brushed motors in these are never reliable. If you want a good setup.. I recomend the castle mamba micro x crawler sensored esc paired with a trinity 13.5 (of any flavor). The punisher might be the cheapest new. You can also look for used 13.5's from your local racing group if you have one.
Thanks for the recommendation. Upgrading the motor is on the to-do list. I'm hoping for now we can keep the stock electronics while we work to improve traction and climbing. But we'll see. If the stock motor quits than we'll be making updates sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrim View Post
What grease you use in the diffs is not that critical. I use a common synthetic chassis lube found in the small tubes at the auto parts store. I am still using the same worms after 7-years. I would disagree that brushed motors are never reliable. I have been using the same Holmes brushed motor for about 4-years running on 3S. The others guys I crawl with also continue to use brushed motors. My son switched to a brushless sensored motor in his LNC and feels that he had better low speed throttle control with the brushed motor.
Per the sticky's recommendations, the DFL is for reducing friction in areas like the driveshafts. I plan to use a high quality synthetic gear grease on the worms when I take the axles apart.

One mod I keep seeing is about drilling a hole in the axles to be able to keep applying grease to worms as needed. What I'm not seeing is what size hole to drill and then what size grub screw to plug it with. Any of you guys know what I'll need to perform this mod?

Last edited by RCTom; 04-05-2019 at 11:34 AM.
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

I used 4-40 set screws about 1/8-in long. A 3/32" drill bit should work fine. I also drilled both sides of the diffs and pump the grease in until clean grease is coming out the other hole. When I was crawling regularly I greased the diffs about every two months. Takes about 15-minutes.
jgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:44 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Whatever size you have a small set screw in I used a 3 mm set cause that’s what I had. I hit it with a couple pumps every once in a while . I have no set schedule for it basically the more you use the rig the more grease you’ll need to apply. And the grease I just use the cheap stuff I had laying around. Brad-pen bearing grease non synthetic and I use an air tool grease gun to pump it in but a syringe would work too I just don’t have anything like that laying around. Just make sure you put the screw on the top half , if you put it on the bottom it will get all banged up and you’ll never get it out.

Last edited by Rattzo1; 04-11-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Rattzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #28

Great info on wheel weights on this page .Thanks
raydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:42 AM   #29

Wrapped my rims with solder wire today . Going to test it out.
raydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:47 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Solder works good too . It’s about double the cost of fishing weight lead, but if you can’t find it solder is fine
Rattzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:14 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

For optimal climbing and stability add a lot of weight to your wheels and lower the CG. Each of my front tires weighs 18 oz. and my rears are 10 oz. each. Where's your battery located? Hopefully not in the tray above the motor. A small battery located on the front lower arms lowers the CG a lot. Ditch the top tray and mount the ESC on top of the rear axle to further lower the CG.
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:34 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTom View Post
Well, my order made it in yesterday. I got a spool each of 1/8" and 3/16" lead weight. Tonight was the first chance I had to work on the car. I didn't know how much to put in each front wheel so I guessed on 3 ounces (6 ounces total). For now, there's none in the rear wheels. I decided not to add weight to the rear only because the car has never tried to endo at the indoor course my son's been driving it at. We'll see how that goes now.

Here's how I did it. The wheels have a center channel in the middle. I simply wrapped the 3/16" lead around the circumference of each wheel until they weighed 3 ounces more, each. Running the lead strands side-by-side resulted in a very tight fit that shouldn't move. Plus, the foam inside the tire should help keep it in place.

Bare wheel with center channel:

:[IMG]LNC Wheel Weight Upgrade by RC Tom, on Flickr[/IMG]

After wrapped with lead weight:

LNC Wheel Weight Upgrade by RC Tom, on Flickr

Each bare wheel weighed .6 ounces. After the lead was added the new weight was 3.7 ounces per wheel as seen here:

[IMG]LNC Wheel Weight Upgrade by RC Tom, on Flickr[/IMG]

With the Hyrax tires and Losi foams, the total weight for each tire/wheel combo is 7.2 ounces.

[IMG]LNC Wheel Weight Upgrade by RC Tom, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'll let y'all know how it goes after we run tomorrow. The Hyrax tires are waayyyyy stickier than the Super Swampers Losi fitted to the car. Combined with the extra weight up front I'm expecting (hoping for!) a big performance increase. We'll see how long the stock servo can handle turning the heavier rolling stock, too.

Wish us luck!

How did those Hyrax ended up working for you?

I’m resurrecting my Comp and Night Crawlers and both will need some fresh, sticky rubber.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

More weight to keep Night Crawler SE planted - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie here Hi ! First Crawler (Losi Night Crawler) First run on rocks video. Rearwheelin Videos! 4 07-05-2016 10:21 PM
wheel weight vs knuckle or axle weight vs creative weight distribution tech712 Axial SCX-10 16 11-04-2014 01:04 PM
Difference in AX10, Night Crawler, and Comp Crawler final gear ratios? shelljeep Newbie General 11 02-05-2010 12:48 AM