Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: 550 sized motor in Losi Night Crawler 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2021, 08:45 PM   #1

Default 550 sized motor in Losi Night Crawler 2.0

How do I install a 550 sized motor in my LNC 2.0? I’ve searched, and read comments about installing 550 sized motors by “attaching links outside the mainframe”, but I need to see pictures and more
details about what the entire mod entails.

My goal is to install the Hobbywing Fusion brushless motor in my LNC 2.0. It is a 540 motor, but is sized like a 550 due to the integrated ESC. I think it will work well with the worm gears.

Thanks for your time.
fquails is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 550 sized motor in Losi Night Crawler 2.0

I installed a 550 brushed motor (56 or 57mm?) and it was so tight that the rod end for the upper link actually nested inside the edge of the sealed can, and the bushing of the motor with just a few thousandths of an inch of clearance, and could only get that when using a 21t(?) pinion which put the motor tight against the chassis... but it cleared!

With the 64mm advertised length of the fusion, there's no way it's going to fit with the upper link mounted inboard of the chassis. I could see outboarding the upper links working, but you'll need to take the chassis apart and countersink the holes from the inside and use flathead/countersunk bolts so that the link hardware doesn't interfere with the motor, but it *should* be that simple.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:26 PM   #3

Default Re: 550 sized motor in Losi Night Crawler 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I installed a 550 brushed motor (56 or 57mm?) and it was so tight that the rod end for the upper link actually nested inside the edge of the sealed can, and the bushing of the motor with just a few thousandths of an inch of clearance, and could only get that when using a 21t(?) pinion which put the motor tight against the chassis... but it cleared!

With the 64mm advertised length of the fusion, there's no way it's going to fit with the upper link mounted inboard of the chassis. I could see outboarding the upper links working, but you'll need to take the chassis apart and countersink the holes from the inside and use flathead/countersunk bolts so that the link hardware doesn't interfere with the motor, but it *should* be that simple.
Thanks for the info! I appreciate the detailed response with measurements and options. I do have a Spektrum Firma 1040RX 2in1 ESC with integrated receiver in my LNC 2.0, which is capable of handling 3S lipos. Maybe I’ll just use a 3s battery to get a little bit more torque and wheel speed from the stock 35T 540 motor. Then replace with a 540 Holmes Hobbies motor when the stock motor dies…
fquails is offline   Reply With Quote

550 sized motor in Losi Night Crawler 2.0 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi night crawler motor esc? Chillaxeing Team Losi Comp Crawler 2 08-26-2012 11:45 AM
Losi night crawler Motor jake27 Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 01-19-2010 08:56 PM