Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > Tennessee

Notices

Thread: STR Trail Ride Burgess Falls Sat Dec 1st

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default STR Trail Ride Burgess Falls Sat Dec 1st

STR is gonna be hittin up Burgess Falls for a crawl on Sat Dec. 1st 9am. Gonna be a fun time on some new (to me) terrain! I got to hike the area a while back and been itchin to crawl it...time to scratch the itch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgess Falls Scouting Trip
Burgess Falls is located in Sparta TN and is a very short, yet strenuous hiking trail that covers 3 seperate water falls.

We hiked the entire trail and altho strenuous, its nowhere near as dangerous as Fiery Gizzard was and not any different than Fall Creek Falls. Where it differs itself, and makes it better in both our oppinions, is the lack of other people on the trail, the trail is alot wider and therefor we can get out of the way easier and the scenery is EPIC at almost every point of the trail. You can crawl over 90% of the trail itself and hit alot of nice little obstacles along the way

You will wanna save your batteries and broken parts for later on tho, trust me!!! When you hit the Big Falls at the end of the trail is when things get interesting. At the top of the Falls you can actually get out on the rock safely and crawl. The area is similar to the rock found under the Medical Center Bridge in the Boro. its basically one big slab with alot of stair steps and neat little lines. Its maybe 25-30 yards of fun.

After this its time to pack up the rigs and radios and hike down to the bottom. A backpack with the ability to carry your rig and radio would make life alot easier as it gets steep here. You have to climb down a set of metal stairs that look like somethin straight outta Jurassic Park, then slide down (wet and slippery) the trail to the bottom. Its not dangerous, just a little interesting, but TOTALLY worth it when you see what waits below. At the base of the Falls is an area about 100 yards or so of pure scaler heaven. There are nasty muddy trails, rocks, water crossings, you name it.

I wouldnt hesitate to bring the Bronco out here and spend HOURS navigating all the little trails carved between the rocks and the Courier would eat its heart out and go home beat up and probably broken without a doubt. This place offers somethin for everyone and screams TTC in some areas. Countless inclines, slick rock obstacles and water if you wanna mess with it. All this and you have a beautiful view of the falls the entire time!!!

Here is a map to the parking lot. Make sure if you decide to find your own map that you go to this address:

Burgess Falls State Natural, 4000 Burgess Falls Drive, Sparta, TN 38583

Map to Burgess Falls

Here is the Park Map from TN.Gov. We park in the main parking and start at the trail head. Along the trail, all the way to the Big Falls is a gravel access road that takes a short, easy route back to the parking area. If you break or need something you can hit this trail.

Park Map

Like I said, I been itchin to try this place so Im extremely excited. Both the ShopTruck and Courier are in pieces but I should have enough time to get the parts needed and get one of em back together. Dont miss out guys, doesnt matter if 2 people or 40 show up, this is gonna be a fun time!

Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: STR Trail Ride Burgess Falls Sat Dec 1st

Matt, this sounds like an awesome ride. I live maybe 10 mins from Burgess Falls. One question though, have you talked to the rangers? Reason I ask is that one of my buddies tried to go down there sometime ago, and the rangers told him he couldn't crawl down there. Thats the reason I've never gone down there to crawl. I would love to go down there and crawl with ya'll. I went to Fall Creek Falls with ya'll like 2 years ago, lol, and am ready to go crawl in a big group again. Let me know, or if you want me to go by there and ask, I can.
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
RCC Addict

When we went by the park, there wasnt a sole around so we scouted but didnt crawl. If you live close and dont mind clearing it up ahead of time Ide GREATLY appreciate it!!! If its a no go we will plan around it. Lemme know!
Matt
Old 11-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Ok, I'll see what's up. This time of year, there is usually no one on the trails. My buddy went prob about 1.5 yrs ago when he was told he couldn't. I don't see the big deal. We can atleast crawl at the top of the falls and at the bottom if they don't want us on the trail itself. I'll let you know whats up.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I appreciate the help for sure. There wasn't a ranger there or else I woulda asked for sure. Fall Creek Falls they don't mind but every place is different lol.
Matt
Old 11-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Is this still on or did Mr Ranger say no no?
rockpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Noone has said anything just yet so I'm still gonna plan on going until I hear otherwise. If we get told no then we will switch spots.
Matt
Old 11-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Ok, so some of the rangers won't mind, but some will. My buddy talked to his ranger friend and he said its not illegal, but he says some of the rangers at Burgess Falls don't like people crawling on the trail. We could always walk the access road and crawl at the bottom of the falls.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Great new Chief, thank you very very much for talkin around for us, I really appreciate it! We can most definitely skip the trail itself if thats the only place that would bother anyone and go straight to the Big Falls itself. On top and below it appears to be crawler/scaler heaven so we can fast forward straight to it if it makes the Rangers happy! One week away guys, and Burgess Falls is a GO! See yall soon!
Matt
Old 11-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Not a problem Matt. Looking to get some good crawling in this wknd.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
RCC Addict

For sure, Im extremely excited! The ShopTruck will be up and runnin again and the Courier has some new parts I wanna shake down and see where she's at. Gonna mess with some weight as well but dont wanna do too much at once change wise.
Matt
Old 11-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
RCC Addict

61* and Sunny this Sat guys, gonna be super nice! Chilly in the early parts of the day but nice otherwise. Lookin to be there around 9 and get to crawlin as soon as possible. If anyone shows up and were not hangin around, hit the gravel access trail and head all the way to the big falls and you will find us!!! Cant wait, gotta charge up the batteries and mess with one of my ESCs then Ill be ready!
Matt
Old 11-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

See you guys in the morning!
herman712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Its nice meetin up with a bunch of ya, even if we had to change plans a little LOL. The spot yall took us to was brutal when it was wet but alot of fun! Look forward to crawlin with yall again sometime soon.
Matt

STR Trail Ride Burgess Falls Sat Dec 1st - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
STR August Trail Ride Fall Creek Falls 66sprint6 Tennessee 3 09-01-2012 02:52 PM
STR 1st trail ride of 2011 Badd Alabama 1 01-06-2011 09:00 AM
STR first trail ride of 2011 Badd Louisiana 2 01-06-2011 08:59 AM
STR trail ride in Hoover AL 2/13/2011 Badd Mississippi 0 12-27-2010 08:35 AM