Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Testing 1 2 3

Notices

Thread: test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default test

Back in 2012 I got to see the Mighty FC concept vehicle while at the auto show and was really impressed with it. Probably mostly due to the portal axles since it’s not probably not the prettiest Jeep ever.
When I saw the Might FC body from Axial, I knew I just had to do one more build. I decided that portal axles was a must for the build to stay true to concept vehicle. I will be posting to this thread as the build progresses starting with the axles.

I tried the portals with the stock axle housings and decided they were not going to give the scale look that I wanted. So I decided to go with the SSD D60 axle housings to get the look I was after.

When I first tried to fit the portals the on SSD housings I found that the portal boxes wouldn’t go all the way on to the axle housing not matter how hard I pushed. The portals fit fine on the stock housing but not on the SSD’s which surprised me since the stock chubs fit fine on the SSD’s.

I got out the ruler, calipers, sharpie pin and even a ball of string and started measuring. It turned out the SSD axle housing are a bit bigger and have a different taper.

After a bit of Procrastination since I really hated the thought of wrecking a new set of SSD axle housings, I decide to making it fit by sanding the axle housings. Very carefully, I used 220 grade garnet paper to remove just enough material to get the portals to fit. It took careful sanding and lots of measuring to make sure just enough material was removed to get a press fit.

Once I got the portal boxes to fit the rest of the axle assembly went pretty quickly and without any more problems. I added the scale hardware to enhance the scale look that I am after.

I am now working the links and will post more once I get the lengths figured

Last edited by k7zpj; 01-18-2016 at 05:59 PM.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

test - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Picture test test picklewagon Testing 1 2 3 0 02-27-2014 12:51 AM
Noah's Twin Hammers speed test crawl test noahzhou Vaterra Twin Hammers 13 02-15-2013 10:10 PM
This is just a test, repeat.. this is just a test Mr Blackwell Testing 1 2 3 0 01-04-2011 08:57 AM
test pic test(mike) H3RESQ Testing 1 2 3 1 10-20-2008 09:29 PM
LOTS PICS, Shock test, Narrow Wheel Test, Tire Pattern Test, LOTS inside Mutt General Crawlers 9 12-28-2005 09:30 PM