Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Testing 1 2 3

Notices

Thread: build thread test 1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2019, 10:38 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default build thread test 1

Alright - back into RC after probably 15 years of being out. Caught the bug again and picked up a lightly used TRX-4 Bronco. I come from the T-Maxx and early Revo days, all nitro. I ended up building a brushless Factory Team RC10B4 using the old Novak Super Sport 5800 system a little later on. Also built an 8800kv Losi Mini T on the original Mamba 25 back when those were the must-have 1/18. I've still got those two around, but all the old Nitro stuff is sitting in a garage in Massachusetts. I'm a cinematographer and photographer by trade so my goal is to make everything I post here nice to look at - these shots are all from an iPhone XS Max with a whole bunch of stuff happening in post. For those interested in the gear I'll let you know when I break out a real camera, but unless specified everything is iPhone.

Anyways, on to the Bronco. It was a loooong debate, Defender, Bronco, or kit? Wanted to build and find a unique hardbody setup, but figured I should start with something a little less intense. The Defender is nice but there's just something about the Bronco - there's a ton of both models out there but I feel like I've got something unique to create. A bit of a disclaimer - I like to keep things OEM plus: clean, using factory parts when it makes sense, and not too flashy.

To start I ordered lots of stuff, based on a good bit of research and desire to keep things a bit simpler. I don't really want to deal with

- (2) 3s 5000mah Traxxas packs (I think they're more than fine for crawling)
- Traxxas 400 High Torque servo
- Traxxas BEC and extended receiver box kit
- Traxxas steel servo horn
- SSD weighted portal covers (Front)
- Big tube of marine grease
- .22 and .30 rate spring sets along with some 10/20/30wt oils for experimenting with
- Traxxas Bronco rear spare tire
- GMade SR02 black steelies
- Duratrax Deep Woods tires
- +8mm offset hexes to offset the narrower SR02s

The first FedEx haul - The truck and everything but the wheels and tires:

Took to work before I even drove the thing and replaced the stock servo with the 400 and installed the BEC:

For me, I hate loud, fizzy sounding servos. This one is brushless, waterproof, and quiet. Even little things get to me like generic servos having upside down text when installed, so the Traxxas won out over the other options despite being 99 bucks. I know this is seen by some as a risky move, but I'm giving Traxxas a chance.

Installed the SSD portal covers before the first drive as well. Used some marine grease on the gears and coated the internal surfaces of the portal. This is a no-brainer upgrade and the IMO the SSDs look the nicest of what's out there:

I'll get around to the rears at some point. At least to get some grease in there.

Took it for the first drive up Elysian Park and up near the old abandoned zoo in Griffith Park here in LA. Damn, these things are an absolute blast to drive. It's tenfold the experience I thought it'd be. I immediately found incredible terrain:

Conquered it:

Managed to cross a stream on a fallen log:

Log crossing showing off the portal clearance - just insane:

Found some really seriously awesome craggy rock paths:

Conquered those too:

One last one of that craggy area:

Second gear is quick!

One last one before I ran out of light:

So, the first run. It drives amazing, the locking diffs are incredible as is the 2-speed, great power on 3s with all-stock electronics. I've never had a brushed electric before and I thought I'd immediately want to upgrade the powertrain but I really love it - perfect for crawling. I'll probably run the stock motor / ESC for awhile and then go for a tiny bit more top end when something burns up (or I get the itch again). Time will tell whether I stay brushed or not. This thing is really an incredible amount of fun and I'm grateful for the awesome terrain I have right nearby.

Next up, the wheels and tires showed up. I also ordered a whole bunch of fun goodies from eBay. Got some epic

Last edited by jessedacri; 02-22-2019 at 11:23 PM.
jessedacri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

build thread test 1 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Embie's test thread Embie Testing 1 2 3 1 04-06-2017 04:44 AM
Test Thread Desertrat83 Newbie General 5 02-05-2014 08:02 PM
Dual Dingo build thread-My first build thread juswin24 Axial SCX-10 205 09-19-2013 12:42 PM
multiquote test thread metomwhou Testing 1 2 3 2 07-15-2009 04:56 AM