Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southwest > Texas

Notices

Thread: Houston guy, new to crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Houston guy, new to crawling

Looking to pick up my crawler and start playing with it this weekend or sometime next week. Wanted to get out and hit the rocks with the locals but I didnt know if I need to join the club, pay due's, offer a kidney to the president. Kinda just getting a feel for how everything works, thanks in advance
scott1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1981 View Post
Looking to pick up my crawler and start playing with it this weekend or sometime next week. Wanted to get out and hit the rocks with the locals but I didnt know if I need to join the club, pay due's, offer a kidney to the president. Kinda just getting a feel for how everything works, thanks in advance

welcome to the community. where abouts houston do you live? there are a few of us houston folk that are on here and a handfull of good places to crawl. Me and my buddy and pedemaster(eric) are building a course out in the woodlands/oakridge area that is coming along pretty good...you are more than welcome to come check it out on saturday and on the 19th i have planned a get together at spring creek to play on the W.E.Rock course....if you have any questions just hit me up on yahoo, aim, or through a pm....

David.
TXmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks David
I am actually very familiar with spring creek as I have build a couple Samurai's, and also wheel my ATV there on a semi-regular basis. Sadly I will be stuck working that day, but look forward to getting together with the Houston crew soon. Im actually by Westiemer & Bltway 8.
Hopefully I will have a rig by this time next week, looking at the AX-10 RTR to get started
Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Just ordered the AX-10 RTR and will be picking up the bent links to replace the plastic ones ASAP. Got it from Tower, it should be here Thur-Fri of next week.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

welcome scott, we have a offroading club at http://www.texasrcoffroad.com/txrco_home/ and its houston, conroe, college station orientated. Me and david and a buddy are building a course as david said. we are going back at it this saturday if ya like to come out. but if ya cant we have the spring creek GTG the 19 and the TXRCO Comp #5 at Bee Creek Park in College Station the 27th.
pedemaster-rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the info Eric. I registered there and although the 19th at Spring Creek will not work for me the 27th in College Station would. Since I am still new to all this and will have a more or less a stock truck by them should I just come and watch or should I bring the truck?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Just ordered the AX-10 RTR and will be picking up the bent links to replace the plastic ones ASAP. Got it from Tower, it should be here Thur-Fri of next week.

yeah man if you wanna come out on saturday it will be a blast, plus we could always use another hand. its a bit of a drive for ya but we like to have a lot of fun....so yeah dude either way hit me up and ill give ya directions out to the course we are building.

man i work not too terribly far from you....290 and hollister at best buy

oh and ps...get some losi claws for that ax10, trust me on this one, they make a world of difference from the stock tires, which still arent that bad.
TXmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

nah just bring you truck out, doesnt have to be fully modified. my rig changes every comp weve had so far. its in the middle of version 4 being built lol. it will prolly change again later on.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:10 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmade View Post
yeah man if you wanna come out on saturday it will be a blast, plus we could always use another hand. its a bit of a drive for ya but we like to have a lot of fun....so yeah dude either way hit me up and ill give ya directions out to the course we are building.

man i work not too terribly far from you....290 and hollister at best buy

oh and ps...get some losi claws for that ax10, trust me on this one, they make a world of difference from the stock tires, which still arent that bad.

Yeah I'm off 290 atleast 2x a week as I got a couple friends over there. I think I have even been in that BB.

I will get the Losi Claws on order Tomorrow. Any suggestions on foams?
Thanks for the help
Old 04-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedemaster-rc View Post
nah just bring you truck out, doesnt have to be fully modified. my rig changes every comp weve had so far. its in the middle of version 4 being built lol. it will prolly change again later on.
Sounds good! Looking Forward to the 27th. Im actually free on about every Sunday, its the Saturdays that are tough for me so this works out well
Old 04-09-2008, 10:23 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

yea i use to be the same but i dunno my new job sucks and im thinking of going back to my old one. for foams id try the proline 2.2 memory foams never tried them before but i heard they were good.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:46 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedemaster-rc View Post
yea i use to be the same but i dunno my new job sucks and im thinking of going back to my old one. for foams id try the proline 2.2 memory foams never tried them before but i heard they were good.
Yeah, we downsized due to slow sales so I said I would work Saturdays till things picked up. If I had known we would still be slow I would have never said that. Oh well. I checked Tower and the memory foams are currently out of stock but will be instock next week. I will order them as soon as they make it in, thanks for the heads up. Because they are a different foam do I still need to star cut them?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:17 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I am fairly close to you (I live at 18th and TC Jester and work in the Galleria area) and take my crawlers down to Memorial Park on occasion. I'll probably be out there this weekend. Let me know if you are interested in going sometime.

For foams, you should note that we have a local vendor (in Spring):
http://xtreme-rc-hobbies.net/
They also make their own foams:
http://xtreme-rc-hobbies.net/store/i...b1d7a4f066148d

There should be no need to cut memory foams.

Jeremy
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

hey jeremy where in spring is this at lol. larrys dont cut it too much for me on crawler parts and beadlocks
Old 04-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

The guy that owns that business goes by insanerc on this board. I think it is an online business only.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Default new to crawling

im in houston and new to crawling i have a ax 10 but making it scale i started going to memorial park on the weekends when im not working
buster22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster22 View Post
im in houston and new to crawling i have a ax 10 but making it scale i started going to memorial park on the weekends when im not working

hey man welcome if your interested got a comp the 27th in college station. its a lil group we have formed for offroading like rockracing, trail rigs, rally, you can check out the post i made for it here:

TXRCO Comp #5 Bee Creek

or check out our clubs site here:

http://www.texasrcoffroad.com/txrco_home/
Old 04-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I am fairly close to you (I live at 18th and TC Jester and work in the Galleria area) and take my crawlers down to Memorial Park on occasion. I'll probably be out there this weekend. Let me know if you are interested in going sometime.

For foams, you should note that we have a local vendor (in Spring):
http://xtreme-rc-hobbies.net/
They also make their own foams:
http://xtreme-rc-hobbies.net/store/i...b1d7a4f066148d

There should be no need to cut memory foams.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy. I plan to get my Axial the end of next week and if your headed out there next sunday I will probably join ya. Where in Memorial park do you usually run?

Thanks for the heads up on the foams, I was going to puchase the Pro-line ones, but since he is local I will grab them from him.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks Jeremy. I plan to get my Axial the end of next week and if your headed out there next sunday I will probably join ya. Where in Memorial park do you usually run?

Thanks for the heads up on the foams, I was going to puchase the Pro-line ones, but since he is local I will grab them from him.
I usually hit up the mountain bike trails. Here is a link to the area:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=17&iwloc=addr

I park in the lot to the left of the baseball fields (you can see a few cars parked there on the map). If you walk south, between the baseball fields and the soccer field, you'll come upon the MTB trails. There is one that has some decent rocks. I think it is the purple trail.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

BTW, I can try to get one of my crawlers ready by then. My wife has been begging me to finish her scale blazer.