Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southwest > Texas

Notices

Thread: Is Scaling Dead in the DFW Area?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Is Scaling Dead in the DFW Area?

There has not been much action in this forum or on TXRCRCA.com for the DFW area. Has everyone lost interest in scale crawling? What ever happened to the DFW scale crawling season?
Tremelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I am building a scaler, just started but I think it will be more as a fun toy than something I comp with. I went a few times with a couple guys from TXRCRCA. They werent comps or anything just fun little get togethers. I know that Scrambln81 is doing a basketball thing with school right now, and he was the one that planned the ones I went too. Post something up and see who all can come. If I get mine together in time I would most likely show up.
Hemipower23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #3

The guy who was running the scale comps, Mike, has moved back to Utah to be closer with his family. This is a great opportunity for someone to step up and take charge
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

a few get togethers will be fun, and if it snows, may be a snow run
pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

DFW definantly does need some comp's out this way. I have had 2 truck on my 3rd one and I am always wishing I had a comp that was close to home. I would certainly show if there was something closer and I get my rig done. Bout 50% of the way now.

Quote:
This is a great opportunity for someone to step up and take charge
You are absolutely right. I would start something up but A I have never been to a comp and B My work keeps me pretty tied down, one of the reasons I haven't comp'ed yet. How ever it seems that there isn't may guys here in the DFW area that is into scale rigs. However Indy RC World is getting a course together and i think it is Mike's that has a scale type course laid out. I'm almost positive that if we get something going and make a few apperiances(spelling?) out there then things just mike kick up and take off just a lil for us Dallas guys.

Last edited by bent; 12-05-2010 at 10:40 PM.
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

There was a nice group of guys and girls in the DFW area that are or were into scalers. I think it is just a matter of getting organized again. I have only competed in one scale comp. If there is someone that is willing to help me get the scale scene back on it's feet I am willing to take a lead role in trying to get started again.

The rocks at Mike's weren't too kind to scalers due to their size the last time I was in there, which is probably 8 months or more with my scaler. Their rocks seemed more comp rig compatible.
Tremelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
The guy who was running the scale comps, Mike, has moved back to Utah to be closer with his family. This is a great opportunity for someone to step up and take charge
Havent left yet....move got delayed and the job I was gonna get got delayed as well. So who knows when Im gonna be able to go. Might end up being during the summer before I get things straightened out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelle View Post
There has not been much action in this forum or on TXRCRCA.com for the DFW area. Has everyone lost interest in scale crawling? What ever happened to the DFW scale crawling season?
Well it died because no one came to the comps. I worked hard on getting comps going and people only wanted to go to one location. If people arent willing to come to the comps in other locations then its not going to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelle View Post
There was a nice group of guys and girls in the DFW area that are or were into scalers. I think it is just a matter of getting organized again. I have only competed in one scale comp. If there is someone that is willing to help me get the scale scene back on it's feet I am willing to take a lead role in trying to get started again.

The rocks at Mike's weren't too kind to scalers due to their size the last time I was in there, which is probably 8 months or more with my scaler. Their rocks seemed more comp rig compatible.
Mikes is way easy on scalers, and way too easy on comp rigs. There isnt a line I can go on with my comp rig. Its a nice place for scale comps during the cold days.

I am willing to give it a go and see if people are will to come and get it back up and going again and get someone involved to take over when I do end up moving home.

But as mentioned before, it will not work if every single comp is at grapevine lake. People will get bored of it and stop coming. Plus there are much more challenging places then grapevine lake and much funner places if people would just be willing to drive.
Lankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonSpawn View Post
Havent left yet....move got delayed and the job I was gonna get got delayed as well. So who knows when Im gonna be able to go. Might end up being during the summer before I get things straightened out.
Well when are we going crawling then?

As far as driving to different locations, I don't see what the hangup is. I mean it's not like you have to do it every weekend, it's only once a month. You get an opportunity to crawl on some neat rock and see new places you otherwise wouldn't get to.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
Well when are we going crawling then?

As far as driving to different locations, I don't see what the hangup is. I mean it's not like you have to do it every weekend, it's only once a month. You get an opportunity to crawl on some neat rock and see new places you otherwise wouldn't get to.
We need to go crawling sometime! I still have my comp rig in pieces, but hope to have it ready for the next 2.2 comp. But my FJ is ready and the Blazer is always ready
Old 12-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I'd be willing to get going. I just have to get a clod body and a jeep jk and a few nuts and bolts. Then my rig should be ready. But my only issue all the comps I have found that are DFW area is always a hr or two out. And on days that I am working. I love crawling but 8 hrs of work then a hr drive then 2 hrs drive out walk around on rocks and trails for a couple hrs then drive 2 hrs home, just to get up and go back to work thats a rough couple of days.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #11
dnf

I know the guys at creative style and performance in mckinney
told me about a spot in mckinney.
I never went there though.

They was a sponser on txrcrca,they are a 1:1 shop.
They was mostly into tubers/scalers.

They may be able to hook you up with some new places for scalers.

Blum is a nice place for scalers mike.
and whitney may be fun for a scaler.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

You got to think of it as 4-6 hours of fun with others that share the same interest as you! I know the driving can suck, and not everyone wants to drive to comps. But some places like Big Rocks park are well worth the drive.

And think of how much time and effort the people put into running the comps. They spend hours on the forums setting everything up. Show up to the comp site first, setup the course, judge everyone, finalize scores, break down courses, then when I get home I post the scores on the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent View Post
I'd be willing to get going. I just have to get a clod body and a jeep jk and a few nuts and bolts. Then my rig should be ready. But my only issue all the comps I have found that are DFW area is always a hr or two out. And on days that I am working. I love crawling but 8 hrs of work then a hr drive then 2 hrs drive out walk around on rocks and trails for a couple hrs then drive 2 hrs home, just to get up and go back to work thats a rough couple of days.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent View Post
I love crawling but 8 hrs of work then a hr drive then 2 hrs drive out walk around on rocks and trails for a couple hrs then drive 2 hrs home, just to get up and go back to work thats a rough couple of days.
Sounds like you need to stay at the track then. One of the aspects of crawling that I like is getting away from the concrete jungle for a day. I used to race every weekend, but it got booring, same track week after week, same slow ass drivers to weave between, being stuck all day inside a damp and stinky warehouse, etc... I'll drive 1.5-2 hours to spend the day outside trying seemingly impossible climbs with my my buddies any day of the week
Old 12-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Yes demon I realize what all goes into comps I am not saying I don't nor am I saying I don't respect those who take the time to do what it takes to host a comp.

Whoodie you do make a good point but I don't live in a concrete jungle, I live on 7 acres on the out skirts of town. I ever get a raise Ill have a rock park so to speak.

See

All I am saying is if someone can make a comp on Sundays I would be more willing to make a showing.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

New comer here! Me and my son have some scalers (scx10's ) and we will go to comps no problems, im a regular at Mikes, I was at Mikes like 2 weeks ago on a sunday and me and like 6 other guys had a crawl session, We had 2 honchos, 2 AX10, 2 comp rigs and a night crawler, we had a follow the leader session going we crawled for like 3-4 hours!

here is a pic! there was like 2 guys changing packs, and 2 behind the bridge
sliding_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

So please let me know guys! I could bring at least 5 guys along to the comp! we have 4 scaler/crawler guys on our team.. the rest are drifters were trying to get the rest of the Team involved into scale trucks, so far just my 9yr old son Joshua, Team mates Johnny and Ricky and His Son Alex and me..

So please Let me now guys and Im down! I go to Mikes every other week on Saturday Mornings and Half of the Team comes with..
sliding_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I know there is a 2.2 comp on sat. but I was going up to mike's and work on the course if any one wants to come.
h2oboy21 is offline   Reply With Quote