Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southwest > Texas

Notices

Thread: What clubs are in the Houston area?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default What clubs are in the Houston area?

Looking at relocating for employment reasons, just curious if there's any action in Houston, mainly the North West area?
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Yep, GCRCRC (Gulf Coast RC Rock Crawlers) is the USRCCA recognized comp club for the area!

We list our competitions in this section (sticky at the top of the forum) and on the statewide forum:
http://txrcrca.com/
We usually compete year round since the weather in this part of the country is absolutely beautiful in the winter!

By "northwest" you mean Tomball area?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, Tomball, or perhaps Jersey Village might be a couple areas I'm looking at for homes. I got a call from a head hunter looking to place me a position in Houston that's in the 60-70K range, so a move might be in order.
I love NE., but the cold winters aren't the best on the back any more.
How do you like that area of Houston??
Old 09-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
RCC Addict

You plan on running comp, scale, or both?

I live up in Tomball, nice, quiet, clean, low crime. Jersey village, not so much. If you want to live near 290, check out Cypress.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
How do you like that area of Houston??
IMO, it all depends on where you will be working. Keep in mind, this city has about 6 million people living here and a good portion of them seem to be on the roads at 8am and 5pm....

Seriously, when we moved here, we got an apartment first, then we bought a house later. The thing that everyone complains about here is traffic, so I took that out of the equation and bought a house only a few miles from my office. That turned out to be a wise decision...
Old 09-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
You plan on running comp, scale, or both?

I live up in Tomball, nice, quiet, clean, low crime. Jersey village, not so much. If you want to live near 290, check out Cypress.

That's some good info to know. After 5mo. of being on the unemployed list, the job offers are coming out of the wood work this past week.
I'll probably just stick with comps since my girl and I are only setup for MOA's, but I wouldn't mind getting into some scale action eventually.

I'm hopin' to fly down there and check things out if the pre interviews go OK.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Yep, I would definitely take the drive into account when selecting your pad. I drive 45 minutes one way to work, so 1 1/2hrs round trip every day, but to me its worth it to live outside of Houston. Then again, Ive always been a country boy and living in the big city just isnt my thing. There are some very nice areas north-northwest of houston. Good luck with the interviews!
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Looking at relocating for employment reasons, just curious if there's any action in Houston, mainly the North West area?
Hi, I m like you, looking for a track in north Houston.
Actualy, I m an elec short course 1/10 guy and I practice at mike hobby in Porter but I m really interested in rock crawling but I d like to know if there is a track for that.
Thank you guys by advance
Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Krakker, I am from that area and grew up in Northwest Houston. Definitely try to find a place cloose to work and avoid Jersey Village like the plague. Tomball is great my aunt still lives there, as does my best friend and the area has grown and has a lot to offer.
TXJeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
RCC Addict

One other note about Tomball. It sits on the backside of The Woodlands, which has every thing and then some. Great thing is, I can drive to The Woodlands in 10 minutes but still don't pay their taxes and association fees.

You couldn't pay me to live in Houston again. I would rather drive than deal with that crap. Between the traffic and crime rates, no thanks.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You couldn't pay me to live in Houston again. I would rather drive than deal with that crap. Between the traffic and crime rates, no thanks.
Haha....I feel the exact opposite (sort of). You couldnt pay me to live out in the burbs. Between the traffic and the crime rate, no thanks.

I have everything the city has to offer within a 5 minute drive...
Old 09-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJeeper1 View Post
Krakker, I am from that area and grew up in Northwest Houston. Definitely try to find a place cloose to work and avoid Jersey Village like the plague. Tomball is great my aunt still lives there, as does my best friend and the area has grown and has a lot to offer.
Great if there is something in Tombal, I live in Spring.
My question is where in Tombal because before buy something, I want to see some guys practice to see if it s really so fun
Old 09-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Haha....I feel the exact opposite (sort of). You couldnt pay me to live out in the burbs. Between the traffic and the crime rate, no thanks.

I have everything the city has to offer within a 5 minute drive...
The only crime rate I have is the armadillo I shot the other night terrorizing my yard.

When I lived by the Galleria there was no such thing as a five minute drive anywhere. Plus the noise levels constantly. I go outside and hear crickets and the occasional coyote. No more car alarms constantly going off, stupid sub woofers shaking my house, glass breaking from people burglarizing cars, and so forth. And I lived in an upscale area..........
Old 09-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I'll give it a real close look it seems pretty soon, I'm waiting for a call tomorrow about the companies relocation expenses and perhaps a very quick flight out there yet this week to interview with them.

Not sure I'll have anytime for socializing, but I'll see if fI can get a tour around the area as well as the facility.

On a side note, I just got through trying the new "tripple, double" Oreo's, three cookies, white filling and chocholate filling.,,,,,,, Not bad.

PS, thought I's edit in a Thanks for all the info. I've traveled alot and been all over the world but I've never actually lived out of NE. and my girls just 12 and kinda iffy on the whole relocation bit.

Last edited by Krakker; 09-06-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The only crime rate I have is the armadillo I shot the other night terrorizing my yard.

When I lived by the Galleria there was no such thing as a five minute drive anywhere. Plus the noise levels constantly. I go outside and hear crickets and the occasional coyote. No more car alarms constantly going off, stupid sub woofers shaking my house, glass breaking from people burglarizing cars, and so forth. And I lived in an upscale area..........
+1, I m a country boy too
Old 09-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
And I lived in an upscale area..........
You found the wrong neighborhood. You've been to my house, 90% of my neighbors bought these homes in the 50's...

BTW, I grew up in the country in central texas. My nearest neighbor was a mile or so away. I do miss the dark and quiet at night...but, out of all of the cities I have lived in Texas, I like Houston the best, and I do believe it is because of where I chose to live.

Last edited by JeremyH; 09-06-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
and my girls just 12 and kinda iffy on the whole relocation bit.
There are some excellent schools in HISD...not all, but some. In HISD, you dont have to go to your home campus. Your kid can be transferred to any school in the district if you just ask.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
You found the wrong neighborhood. You've been to my house, 90% of my neighbors bought these homes in the 50's....
I know, you live in one of those rare bubbles in the city. You also live in an area that is growing rather well . The Heights right now is the fastest growing and one of the few places in the US were property prices are actually rising.

As far as big cities, Houston is definitely one of the best and probably has more offerings all around than the rest of Texas. Dallas I don't care for at all, Fort Worth is so much cooler. San Antonio is fun to visit and Austin is great to live in when you are young and don't have kids. Then there's all the moderately sized cities.

One thing about Texas is we have a variety of flavors and many people who have lived here their whole lives haven't even taken it all end. The cultures vary more than most of the US. I know when I have gone to the panhandle I feel like it's a different country all together.....

Krakker, depending on where you end up working there are great places to live all over. So don't worry about that.

As for your daughter, tell her not to worry. People down here are very open and friendly and making friends won't be tough. I know how it is moving around when you are a kid, my mother moved us 8 times from the time I was 8 until 17.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Hi, I m like you, looking for a track in north Houston.
Actualy, I m an elec short course 1/10 guy and I practice at mike hobby in Porter but I m really interested in rock crawling but I d like to know if there is a track for that.
Thank you guys by advance
Francois, sorry for not answering this earlier, I must have missed this comment.

If you are looking for competitions, then there really aren't "organized tracks" for any crawling (scalers or comp crawlers). We compete on natural terrain. For a listing of our comp class schedule including locations, please see the sticky thread (entitled GCRCRC) at the top of this forum. We hold regular competitions most months (except this one since some of our competitors are at the national finals [I am in the airport on my way right now]). You are more than welcome to test drive any of my trucks at a comp or get together.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Francois, sorry for not answering this earlier, I must have missed this comment.

If you are looking for competitions, then there really aren't "organized tracks" for any crawling (scalers or comp crawlers). We compete on natural terrain. For a listing of our comp class schedule including locations, please see the sticky thread (entitled GCRCRC) at the top of this forum. We hold regular competitions most months (except this one since some of our competitors are at the national finals [I am in the airport on my way right now]). You are more than welcome to test drive any of my trucks at a comp or get together.
Thanks Jeremy for your answer, I ll going to check that.
I don t want to made competition, I just want to have fun and maybe do some local race. Say me when you go practice like that I ll try to come and see ya.
You talk of airport.... Which one because, me I work at IAH...