Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southwest > Texas

Notices

Thread: Trouble Shooting Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #1

Default Trouble Shooting Help

Hey guys, I'll start off by saying that I'm new to this whole RC stuff. I have a Redcat RS10 and I just picked up a T1E Chassised Comp rig with Bully Axles. Anyway I was messing with it today on a rock pile near my house and it flopped into the worst possible place into a hole that had probably 1 1/2" of water. I picked it up quickly and it didn't seem like anything really got we. About 2 or 3 minutes later, I lost all drive to wheels. The steering servo still works and the lights on the Tekin FXR ESC light up when I pull the trigger on the radio, but no forward or backward motion from the wheels. Also the green light on the punk dig goes on and off with the press of the button on the radio. Any Ideas where I should go from here on what to check? Thanks

Nosedive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Trouble Shooting Help

What radio?

When you press this button, does the green light on the punk change to a different color, or does it turn off?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #3

It's a spectrum dx3e. When I hit the 3rd channel button the light on the punk dig lights up. Press it again and it turns off.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #4

It doesn't change colors
Old 02-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Does the lights on the fxr ramp up when giving throttle. Should be blinkIing from the middle to the first led or second indicating temp and when you apply throttle it should light up all led's at full throttle.IIRC
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #6

yes the lights on the speed control do ramp up and down like you described.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosedive View Post
It's a spectrum dx3e. When I hit the 3rd channel button the light on the punk dig lights up. Press it again and it turns off.
That does not sound right. When working properly, using a 3 position switch on your Tx, the punk unit should light up green for 4wd and two different colors (IIRC, red and blue) for cutting power to the motors. Is this how it operated when you first got it? Did the DX3E come with it, or did you add it later?
Old 02-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #8

My Punk Dig the wires from the rx to the unit came loose... I had to re solder them back on. I still had power(4wd) but no dig function and light went off @ button press.

Last edited by SoddyCrawler; 02-22-2012 at 06:03 PM.
SoddyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #9

The led on the punk dig does change between green, red and blue. Then it just stops.

Sorry guys, the noobie is coming out in me. I'm almost certain I've got it nailed down to a battery problem. I don't know if it was just a coincidence or if the water did something to the battery.

When I got home I plugged it in and everything worked perfect for about 5 minutes then started acting up again. Just the steering working and then it quit doing anything not even steering or the dig. I only have one lipo battery so I cant really try another one to make sure. Does the LHS in Sugar Land have a decent price on LIPO's or should I order some online? The one I have now is a 3s lipo 25c. Is there a better battery to get for a rig with MOA 55t motors? Thanks for all the info.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Yea it very well could be your battery. Its probaly just low. The hobbyshop in sugarland will have a battery but it depends on what your wanting to do. If your going to be comping I would recommend 3s lipo in the 450-850mah range. If your wanting something to just play around with then up the mah a little. Placement can be a issue also.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #11

I tried charging it. I've got a Venom Pro Charger. It seemed like it just didn't take the charge, only took about 2 minutes until the charger showed done. That being said I need to read up some more on how to charge the lipo, as that is the first time I have ever done it. Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #12

Thanks for all the help guys. I feel like a dumba#@. It wound up being the battery. I finally got it to charge and it works just like normal. It's a really sweet rig so far, I can't wait to get it on some real rocks and try it out.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosedive View Post
I tried charging it. I've got a Venom Pro Charger. It seemed like it just didn't take the charge, only took about 2 minutes until the charger showed done.
Yeah, unless you have a really nice battery and a nice charger, it should take longer than that. I charge my packs at 1C (1 x mAh) and it will take about 10 minutes to fully charge a 600mAh 3S pack.

Glad you got it figured out...now get that bad boy ready for your first comp!

Trouble Shooting Help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1:1 AC Trouble Shooting Questions Chris_The_Battery_Man Chit Chat 10 08-17-2010 09:50 PM
EVX2 trouble shooting..help smm_cbf Electronics 0 07-09-2009 10:50 PM
Trouble Shooting Rx? chevihemi Electronics 9 03-28-2009 11:06 PM
need some trouble shooting help... BeerMonkeY General Crawlers 0 08-29-2006 03:02 PM
Maxx Trouble shooting eb76adam General Crawlers 7 12-09-2004 04:20 PM