Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: The perfect tire?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2004, 07:30 AM   #1
R.I.P. Chip

Default The perfect tire?

To you what would be the perfect rockcrawling tire?

Me I would say, as soft as the associated BGT tires. 7"-7.5" tall 2"-2.5" wide on 1" -1.5"wide wheels. Maxx sized wheels.

Treadpattern big tread 3/8" tall with lots of lugs and big voids, 1/4" tread down the sides.

Bad thing about this is we have to get some company to make these tires, and they will have to make special wheels just for these tires.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2004, 11:57 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: The perfect tire?

I haven't used too many, but I am thinking a wide spaced chevron tread pattern (easy to chop) 7 3/4" tall, 2 3/4 wide. As soft compound as possible. If the BFT had another inch on it's height it would be the best. Anyone know the exact measurements of the new losi tire? All I know is that they are wider than the BFT tires and looks to be taller.
MaxxZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 11:52 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i prefer the jumbo swamp dawgs.. without the foam their nice and grippy.. but i think i mite get a set of MGT tyres and see how they go aswell.
ryan
XFACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:32 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

My Kongs are going to be THE tire. Like you said Jason, tall and skinny. I just hope they are not too tall. 8+ inches and I will narrow them to about 2.5 inches. Tread pattern will be cut like my BFT's and I am thinking that there will be nothing better when they're done!!! We'll see by the end of the week.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 06:43 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Good luck dirk. xfactor, once you try some of the things that digler has you will wonder why you spent 100 bucks on jumbo maxx swamp dawgs, Cause I sure do. I had a few questions for you dirk, the main one being where can I see a picture of your cut bfts? Second one, do the bft tires support themselfs without foam? I hope to gain some clearance with the bfts. Right now my truck has 3 1/2 under the diffs, 4 3/4 under the chassis running maxx mashers on narrowed rims.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:13 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

On the home page here, you can see a good shot of my BFT's. Jason just put up the article on how to put them on TXT wheels. There is a pic of how I cut the tread pattern.

I use foams in my BFTs' and you will need something in there after you cut them. I used the stock foam and cut it about 1 inch narrower and then sliced it in half to make it thinner. It's only about .5 inches thick. This allows the tire to flex but not over flex and tear.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:55 AM   #7

In my opinion a good start would be the tallest tire you can run without breaking driveline parts and overloading your steering servo's. For my clod I run the bft tires on narrowed rims with the tread blocks cut to my liking and no foams. On my bft i run jumbo kongs on narrowed rims and siped treads and separated lugs. When I started running kongs last year I had gotten some criticism, now i see more people running them. Here are some observations I have made since I have been running these tires that may help people considering running them:
1 You will need a strong drivetrain and very low gearing
2 Strong steering servo's
3 The longer the wheelbase the better 14.5+
4 With a heavy truck like mine just narrowing the rims works fine, the added stability that the extra width gives you is unbelievable. With a light crawler you will need to narrow the tires as well like dirk is doing to get the psi back so you can get some traction.
5 Removing the foams, cutting small sipes in the treads and separating the lugs where they meet in the center should be enough as this will allow them to flex like mad.

Based on the sheer size and groung clearance I have gained with these tires and center diff clearance of my long travel independent suspension I have not been beaten yet.
rockdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 01:29 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

You haven't been beaten because our trucks have not tangled yet!
Old 03-02-2004, 04:05 PM   #9

Now you're talkin dirk! If we could get the east coast boys, the colorado boys and the aussie's together we would have some shootout.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:55 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Hey rockdawg, what is your under diff clearance?
Old 03-03-2004, 02:26 AM   #11

here are the specs: clearance-5" under the diffs. 6" under the center of chassis. width-19" outside of tire to outside of tire. 15" wheelbase. lenth- 23" from front of front tire to rear of rear tire. one of the biggest advantages of this truck is the size and weight of it. Here is a pic of it next to my clod(that clod is pretty big too)
Old 03-04-2004, 04:22 PM   #12

I feel like i accidently hijacked this thread so i would like to get back to jason's topic. My idea of the perfect tire would be something with the compound and soft sidewalls of the bft tire but about 7" to 7 1/2" tall with wider spaced lugs. The kongs may be too tall for my clod but the bft's dont allow me the center diff clearance i would like. Hopefully when the new losi tires come out they will be soft enough.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:26 PM   #13

I feel like i accidently hijacked this thread so i would like to get back to jason's topic. My idea of the perfect tire would be something with the compound and soft sidewalls of the bft tire but about 7" to 7 1/2" tall with wider spaced lugs. The kongs may be too tall for my clod but the bft's dont allow me the center diff clearance i would like. Hopefully when the new losi tires come out they will be soft enough.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:38 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

The losi tire looks soft, and I have heard that it was soft. My only concern is that it will be too wide. We will see.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:32 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg
here are the specs: clearance-5" under the diffs. 6" under the center of chassis. width-19" outside of tire to outside of tire. 15" wheelbase. lenth- 23" from front of front tire to rear of rear tire. one of the biggest advantages of this truck is the size and weight of it. Here is a pic of it next to my clod(that clod is pretty big too)
What's the clearance under the clod diffs with the BFTs?
MudCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:22 AM   #16
Colt Python/SR9c

Thanks JK, i just now seen that and was gonna ask the same thing

BTW- glad to see ya on the board
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote