Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Added weight and now worse than before!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Unhappy Added weight and now worse than before!

so last night I got around to finally adding weight ti my wheels and I was expecting great results because now when I lift a single tire the articulation is great. Way better than before. now when I crawl at the same place at before it feels lick the rig has less traction than before. gets hung up more and does not like to climb.My rig is an ax10 rtr and these are my mods so far. no foamssub c batteries located around steering servolocked front, duh55 turn intigy10 tooth pinion6oz weight in each front9oz weight in each rearthat is all I believe. the reason I added more to the rear is because I am running the larger battery pack on the front compared to others running the 2/3A cells but this may have been a mistake, maybe.
jc052685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default wheel weight

Most guys run more weight in the front wheels. You want you front heavier than the rear. On an uphill climp your weight will transfer to the back. Keep adjusting until it is right for your driving style.
WKKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
RCC Addict

If you added weight, and it acts worse than before, take off the weight... It's pretty simple to me.

What were you trying to accomplish with the extra weight? Just to ballance the front and rear more?

If you felt it was too front heavy, you could always get a different battery pack for the front that is smaller and in turn lighter than your current one. (like a 2/3a pack)
Cake Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Don't worry about balancing the weight. The battery is on the front axle for a reason...to keep the weight of the batteries as far forward as possible. You want more weight forward than you would rearward.

You're running no foams? Are you running bb's or are you just running them with air trapped like a 1:1 tire? Maybe it gets hung up more because the added weight makes the tire sidewalls bulge more meaning the axle is a bit lower than before?
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Weights with no foams? That would be the problem is my guess also. I've never been a fan of running pneumatic tires on a crawler. The bounce alone is enough to drive someone crazy, lol. My suggestion would be to get yourself a good set of foams (memory foams if possible), vent the wheels (small hole only), and then try adjusting your weights until you get the right combo for you, your rig, and the terrain you crawl.

David
Xtreme Rc Hobbies
insanerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

yeah, I was still trying to keep some weight on thr rear so it could still push the front tire up the vertical wall in front of it but I willprobably take all but maybe an ounce or two out of the rear. and see is that helps. also are the stock axial lizards that bad. every one seems to be dogging on them but I am pretty happy with mine.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

upgrade to some proline M2 compound tires of your choice, run foams and lower the rear weight and you will see why everyone dogs the lizards so much. lizards dont like grab that much.
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The stock tires do suck compared to others on the market.

I am with everyone else on the fact that you need to get yourself a good set of foams and if you are still running the stock tires you need a set of new tires to.

As far as adding weight to the rear so it will push the front up steep climbs there is no need to. When you start to climb up a wall the weight is pushed to the rear of the truck.

I personally run some weight in the rear but not alot unless it is on a droop truck or a torsion rig.I would say try to stay around 2-3oz in the rear and in the 9-14oz range in the front.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbruiser View Post
The stock tires do suck compared to others on the market.

I am with everyone else on the fact that you need to get yourself a good set of foams and if you are still running the stock tires you need a set of new tires to.

As far as adding weight to the rear so it will push the front up steep climbs there is no need to. When you start to climb up a wall the weight is pushed to the rear of the truck.

I personally run some weight in the rear but not alot unless it is on a droop truck or a torsion rig.I would say try to stay around 2-3oz in the rear and in the 9-14oz range in the front.

thanks, that sounds good. I was looking at the losi crawlers. I realy like the way the truck feels and crawls with out foams though. I realy dont have a problem with bounce. I am going to try to go to the local crawler comp here and maybe some one will let me test drive there truck and I can see the differance with out having to buy memory foams and then think they suck or something. trying to stay on a budget as I am looking forward to the release of the traxxas slash at the end of the month.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc052685 View Post
thanks, that sounds good. I was looking at the losi crawlers. I really like the way the truck feels and crawls with out foams though. I really dont have a problem with bounce. I am going to try to go to the local crawler comp here and maybe some one will let me test drive there truck and I can see the difference with out having to buy memory foams and then think they suck or something. trying to stay on a budget as I am looking forward to the release of the traxxas slash at the end of the month.
foams were created for a reason... with no foams the tires fold over when turning and they dont side hill that great.. yea sure you have good traction going straight, but what happens when you turn and take all the weight out of the rear. put 7 or so oz. in each front.. star cut your foams narrow them some and you will have alot better traction. also.. when you ask for help and everyone is saying put your foams back in and you dont.. then why ask for help you seem to know it all already
jeeper89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #11
Nope..

I don't think the foams are as much of a hangup as the excessive weight in the rear. You're basically pulling yourself down the hill instead of pushing yourself up.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:10 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper89 View Post
foams were created for a reason... with no foams the tires fold over when turning and they dont side hill that great.. yea sure you have good traction going straight, but what happens when you turn and take all the weight out of the rear. put 7 or so oz. in each front.. star cut your foams narrow them some and you will have alot better traction. also.. when you ask for help and everyone is saying put your foams back in and you dont.. then why ask for help you seem to know it all already
I am not complaining about the foams first of all, second I think I said nothing about how everyone else is wrong and I know it all. If i knew it all I would not be here I would be out competing and you would be coming to me for advice. I am asking about the change in weight affecting the grip not the change in foams, pay attention please. What I said was I prefer the no foams feel of the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambuller84 View Post
I don't think the foams are as much of a hangup as the excessive weight in the rear. You're basically pulling yourself down the hill instead of pushing yourself up.
thank you, that is what I am going to do is remove all of the weight from the rear. thanks for staying on topic.

Last edited by jc052685; 05-04-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #13

Exclamation

You asked, why you have less traction now? Most are saying no faoms is the issue because we/they have tried the other ways and found out what works and what doesn't. So they are on point, don't ask for help and then tell them that they're wrong. -----YOU ASKED THEM.----- They answer and you complain. Imagine if you will, put alot of pressure on a ballon it will wobble back and forth and be hard to control. Now do the same to a pillow [put pressure on it] and it compress's. Now apply it to tires. -----------------------------------------------------------Be careful what you ask for you just might get it!
RollmeBackover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:07 PM   #14
Nope..

That made no sense what so ever. He never said they were wrong. He actually did the opposite sand said he DIDN'T know everything and that's why he was asking. So, calm down Skippy.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #15

Exclamation

well your name preceeds you, I was making a point about tires with air and tires with foam. Tires with air float and do not contour to the service there going over, unlike a compressed foam. I Hope my point gets across. Using terms like skippy are not condesending at all. So maybe now you understand.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:36 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollmeBackover View Post
You asked, why you have less traction now? Most are saying no faoms is the issue because we/they have tried the other ways and found out what works and what doesn't. So they are on point, don't ask for help and then tell them that they're wrong. -----YOU ASKED THEM.----- They answer and you complain. Imagine if you will, put alot of pressure on a ballon it will wobble back and forth and be hard to control. Now do the same to a pillow [put pressure on it] and it compress's. Now apply it to tires. -----------------------------------------------------------Be careful what you ask for you just might get it!
why does no one care to listen??? I said I was happy with the performance of the truck with no foams. I also said I was unhappy with the performance after I added weight in the maner I previously stated. so why does every one say that the one thing I am happy with is the one thing I am doing wrong??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambuller84 View Post
That made no sense what so ever. He never said they were wrong. He actually did the opposite sand said he DIDN'T know everything and that's why he was asking. So, calm down Skippy.
once again, thank you for paying attention.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:42 PM   #17

trial and error for the most part. Why is it so hard to believe that foams are right and will help your truck perform better. And I will agree with the others about the weight being to much. I run even weight so as climb I get plenty of traction and when I go down a hill it doesn't lightnen up to much and flip forward. And it's weight were it is most needed on the wheel.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:59 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollmeBackover View Post
trial and error for the most part. Why is it so hard to believe that foams are right and will help your truck perform better. And I will agree with the others about the weight being to much. I run even weight so as climb I get plenty of traction and when I go down a hill it doesn't lightnen up to much and flip forward. And it's weight were it is most needed on the wheel.
it is not hard to believe, I already said I am going to a local comp and will try to drive someone elses rig with foams. I do not want to buy something and not like it.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:42 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

it all depends on how you like the car too drive

foams are not always the best option
down here in Victoria, Australia the top 3 place getters at our comps run no foam, i have won 2 out of 3 of the comps this year and i run no foam and breather holes in the rim

this works for me because i run a very light car, i have only added about 80grams (not sure what that is in ounces) of weight in total in my front wheels with a lipo battery on the front axle, the only weight on the chassis is the tranny and a 550 can motor (i could go to brushless to save some more weight but i like the speed, torque, and feel of the brushed motor, that i cant get from a brushless)
the tires only just fold under on sidehills, but nothing that causes me to roll where others don't

the traction you get is insane compared to the foam setup

this method has been tryed and trued down here because the guys i crawl with have been doing this since before this site existed, and they haven't found a better setup

so really try different things and see what works, go to a few comps and see what the top place getters are running talk to people it's the best way to learn, i know from experience
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:46 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

now,that is some good advice. Thank you for your input.