Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Panther Cougars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 09:30 AM   #101
Quarry Creeper

Ordered me a set of these tires, and a set of Mayhem Delrin Comp Ball Bearing Beadlocks. Cant wait to get them.

I was fairly impressed with my Hammers and Flatirons, but I still like the claws in most situations.

Cant wait to see how they do!
PapaGeno21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2008, 09:16 PM   #102
Rock Crawler

Kamikaze, did you leave the foams stock or mod them. Now im gonna go hide in fear of a stupid question fallout
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

So, what does it mean if the tires do not have a red dot on them? Mine DO NOT and needless to say, I'm NOT very impressed with them. Do they need to be broke in before they start working??

Last edited by redbaron; 05-23-2008 at 08:38 PM.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Mine do not have the red dot, but I ordered them real early...no matter to me the color of a dot.

Mine have worked since day one and show near no wear...they outperform my M2 hammers and my old Claws. I found mine like weight to get the wrinkle. Also when they warm up...wow even better traction.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #105
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
So, what does it mean if the tires do not have a red dot on them? Mine DO NOT and needless to say, I'm NOT very impressed with them. Do they need to be broke in before they start working??

The softs are the only ones you can get right now so that is what you have.

What is your set up and what is not working for you.

IB..
I B RACIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #106
Quarry Creeper

weight brotha add weight!
dragonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:54 AM   #107
Rock Stacker

just picked up a set of m3 flatirons and next 2-3 weeks will be getting a set of these. differant tires for differant courses. they look so sexy.
jc052685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:42 AM   #108
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Give me a call this weekend if you can. Maybe I can help you out with these.

- David
937-672-9222
dkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:52 AM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B RACIN View Post
What is your set up and what is not working for you.

IB..
TLT axles, Alum beadlocks, 6oz weight each front wheel, no weight in the rear wheels, Red Kreepy's in front, Panther Memory foams in the rear. The tires are soft enough, conform to rocks well, they just don't seem to have the grip the claws had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonracing View Post
weight brotha add weight!
It does have weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd View Post
you are playing about them not working right ? mine work great and as stated they show little to no wear . I did find that on The Rat the rears had to much bite . I'm not sure if it is because they raised the COG up abit or if it is to do with the bite. But on the OCM they are so much better than the Claws .
No Andy, I'm not playing. It was your post that convinced me to get them. And when I started running them, I thought you had been smoking DOPE!! I've been to two different places now that have two different type rocks, and these tires have not done any thing that the claws won't do. But there are a few spots that the claws do easily that I have yet got the Panthers to go up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkingston View Post
Give me a call this weekend if you can. Maybe I can help you out with these.
Will do Dave!
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #110
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
TLT axles, Alum beadlocks, 6oz weight each front wheel, no weight in the rear wheels, Red Kreepy's in front, Panther Memory foams in the rear. The tires are soft enough, conform to rocks well, they just don't seem to have the grip the claws had.

It does have weight!

No Andy, I'm not playing. It was your post that convinced me to get them. And when I started running them, I thought you had been smoking DOPE!! I've been to two different places now that have two different type rocks, and these tires have not done any thing that the claws won't do. But there are a few spots that the claws do easily that I have yet got the Panthers to go up.

Will do Dave!
The kreepy reds, react to slow in a 2.2, try the foam that comes with them or a standard open cell foam like the losi or ax10 in the front only.

The total tire foam and wheel weight should be around 14 to 16 oz front and 8 to 14 oz rear.

Whos this dave guy....LOL

Torry
I B RACIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:28 AM   #111
I wanna be Dave

These are in stock at Panther, iver 400 sets. http://www.pantherteam.com/index.php...roducts_id=288
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #112
I wanna be Dave

I must say my first impression of the Panther tire when i run them on Jeffs OCM was damn these things work.
Then when i recived my first set i hated them and then i started playing with foams. I have found that at least on a shaft truck it seems to pay off to run a really stiff foam especially in the rear and let the tire compound do the work. The stock memory foam is way to soft and in my opinion the axial or the losi alone is still to soft.

Once you get the foam setup right for your rig and your driving style you will throw rocks at your other tires instead of crawl with them.LOL
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:37 PM   #113
MODERATOR™

Its Dave man! Will you open up, I got the stuff with me!

Who?

Dave man, open up!

Dave?

Yeah Dave, come on man open up I think the cops saw me!

Dave's not here!

I'm liking NWT Rockhammer Hybrid #8 and #5. I did play with different foam combo a lot and the tire was quite responsive to the changes. A good thing.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #114
I wanna be Dave

People need to remember in this instaint gratification society that a ggod rock crawler doesn't bolt together. The same goes with tires, you got to tune anything, these tires are unreal if you get your foam setup right. The foam is so much more important with these tires than the losi or proline tires because the rubber is much more supple, not hard like what we are used to. Just like a 1:1 rig you have to experiment with air pressure, same thing here with foams. I can take a top of the line 1:1 comp tire and run it at 0psi or 100psi and say it sucks, see where I am going here?????

On second though, yeah they suck, I will be happy to be the only one running them.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:19 AM   #115
I wanna be Dave

I really need to try a set...
CrawlerGraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #116
RCC Addict

Yes guys these DO WORK, and foams seem to make a big difference. The fact that they are taller than most others makes a difference they seem to "reach-out" and just roll-over stuff in a smoother fashion. I ran NTT rockhammer-hybrid-reach #8 in front and the ALL-weather hybrid reach in rear. The rears were WAY too soft, causing the car to torque-steer more than usuall. I'm installing Losi uncut stock foam and i'll let you know how they work.

As for these being "better" than the Losi's, can't say yet, not having done a back-to-back test. But they deffinately do "work". Give them a try
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:06 AM   #117
Rock Crawler

I said it before, I will say it again.

Here is the formula for a successful, competition tire:

60% Compound
20% Tread Pattern
20% Foam

The Panther proves that point.

This kind of tire tuning will be new for most of you. If you take the time to learn a little about it, it will make your entire RC experience that much more rich.

Take what you learn with these and try some of it with the Loai or Prolines, it will help there to a certain respect, as well.

- David
dkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #118
I joined the Band!

I got mine the other day for my scaler. Right off I knew I needed Stiffer in the rear, caused the truck to roll over when going VERT. But they made the rig Crawl like crazy. I had a tree fall in my back yard so I have a bunch of logs. I got over one of them the truck was completly Vertical man it was awesome. I was only able to do it once. The tires worked like hands pulling it up.
Can someone send me a link to some stiffer foams that would be recomended to start off with in the rear?? I see foams on sites but I do not know which I should try to start off with.

Thanx
skullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:55 PM   #119
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullking View Post
Can someone send me a link to some stiffer foams that would be recomended to start off with in the rear?? I see foams on sites but I do not know which I should try to start off with.

Thanx
These are the ones I would recommend for the rears of trucks, but they are out of stock at the moment.
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/5-Rockham...h-p-16842.html
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:43 AM   #120
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
These are the ones I would recommend for the rears of trucks, but they are out of stock at the moment.
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/5-Rockham...h-p-16842.html

Thanx man, That gives me a start anyway. I am new to switching out foams and tuning in the tires for crawling.
skullking is offline   Reply With Quote