RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/)
-   -   Tire Choice help (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/119532-tire-choice-help.html)

Jag_Imaging 05-17-2008 08:19 AM

Tire Choice help

Hi..Ive been doing a lot of research trying to find what tires will be good for me..I looked at the proline tire shoot out and went through a bunch of different posts but Im still having a hard time choosing..
I recently set up a small coarse in my backyard and the stock Lizards are having a hard time..No matter if I try to go at it slow or with some wheel speed..I crawl on a lot of different surfaces so Im looking for a tire that can be good on slick rocks and be pretty good everywhere else. So Im trying to choose between the Hammers..Badlands..Claws and even maybe the new Panthers...So anybody that has experience crawling on the sort of terain that I do what would you recommend?
Thanks
Oh and I could post of clip of my "not" crawling on my rock pile so you could see what Im talking about..

Mortimer Snerd 05-17-2008 09:08 AM

A pic of your rock pile would probably help. I've been really happy with my Badlands on every surface I've thrown them at. They're fantastic on slickrock, and do a good job of grabbing small irregularities in the rock.

RollinOver 05-17-2008 09:12 AM

Cant go wrong with badlands. When i first got mine i didnt really like them much, but i switched the foams to memory foams and now i love them! "thumbsup"

james22 05-17-2008 03:47 PM

i put the claws on my ax10 and i seen that they work real good but the thing is how is your truck set up =====weight on the front axle====battery in stock location=====alot of dirrerent things will make your rig work much better

Stormin2u 05-17-2008 04:34 PM

I'm still doing my own tire testing and I'm due for for some foam changes before the next test day, but the Rock Claws are still the best performer for me in my area. I don't have a set of Cougars yet but I hope I'll have some this week. Foams are becoming a big factor as you well know and there are some pretty interesting combos but what works in my area doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you. You could get better information from crawlers in your area.

stampedeproject 05-17-2008 05:42 PM

BADLANDS.

Loven em on pretty much anything and they are very forgiving even if you suck at wheel tuning.

M3 with Memory foams.

Or M2's with Memory Foams if you plan on adding weight to the tires.

Jag_Imaging 05-17-2008 11:51 PM

Thanks for the suggestions..Im running weighted front tires ( about 4 and a half OZ in each ) with Star cut foams and with some added weight on my front axle...No weight in the rear but I slotted the foams..I also drilled vent holes in the wheels..Battery placement is under the stock location more to the fron of the truck ( right over the 3 link).. Heres a crappy vid of my crawling location.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOZvsO6651E
Thanks

rocresq 05-18-2008 03:03 AM

I like moabs or claws, claws are good if you run more rocks but i still like my moabs when running on alot of dirt that transitions to rocks. the standard lizards are good for high speed bashing in dirt and gravel they seem to really chew up the ground that is the only use i have found for them though.

Mnster 05-18-2008 03:12 AM

With a location such as that. Masher 2000's, Losi rock claws, other open tread tires would work well. Your trying to find a tire to stick tread bars out to lift the truck over sharp edges.

Mortimer Snerd 05-18-2008 09:57 AM

Yup, I'll second my own suggestions for Badlands on that kind of stuff. All those little knobs grab the sharp edges really well. Claws and hammers also do well.

Jag_Imaging 05-18-2008 03:16 PM

Thanks..I think I might order some badlands this week!

cmbogner 05-18-2008 04:13 PM

I crawl on stuff alot like that, and I run m3 masher 2000's on front, m2 badlands on rear, i 1/8" hole in wheel on all 4, one wrap of weights on all 4 and M/F

stampedeproject 05-19-2008 08:04 AM

Loving the Badlands. Seem to be a very versatile tire.