Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: The 2.2 MOAB Foam thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2005, 01:39 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default The 2.2 MOAB Foam thread

Ok I've been messing around with different foam set ups. I've tried The stock foams cut in half with a star pattern, roughly an inch wide. Too boucny and no sidewall support. Now I'm running some Losi racing foams cut in half. Much better, but still no sidewall support. I'm looking into running the losi foams full width. It seems like it'll work now I just need two more of them. back to the LHS. Then off to crawl tonight.

Thats what I'm up too. Post up your 2.2 moab foam set up.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2005, 01:55 PM   #2
2006 2.2 National Champ

I don't have the 2.2's yet, but this is how I cut a 40 series Dirt Hawg foam for my fullsize Moabs. The Dirt Hawg foam is a little smaller in diameter and a little softer then the Moab foam. I narrowed the foam about 3/4", rims are narrowed about the same, then cut big notches around the outside edges. I'm going to play around with this design when I get my 2.2 Moabs.

Here's how it looks beside a Moab foam uncut.
Attached Images

BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Here is how I cut them for my 2.2 moabs. I wanted side wall support and good flex in the tread contact patch. This gave me both.

I used the smaller foam on the left (the center cut out)

Mounted on my single narrowed (only cut off the inside bead) RPM Claw rims

The foams in my Bruiser are cut the same way. Works great for that heavy beast also.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:25 PM   #4
RCC Addict

This is just a Paint Shop example of what I am going to do to my Moab's foam(maybe tomorrow. If not, then this weekend).
I will use my Dremel with one of the pointed grinding/sanding stones. It chews very well through the foam without catching. DO NOT use a normal drill bit, it'll just grab the foam and start tearing.
I already did this once with my Masher 2k's and it worked out very well. Not as many holes as the example, but I want the Moabs to feel a little softer than the Mashers.
I will post pics once I actually get around to it(soon).
Attached Images

Cake Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg13x
but I want the Moabs to feel a little softer than the Mashers.
Do you own a set of moabs yet? Cause they are already softer then the M2K's.

Are you planning on running a full foam modified like that? If so I want to see pics of the mounted tires. That does not look to me like you would get enough flex out of the tread contact patch. :neutral:
Old 08-12-2005, 12:25 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

well I did a little test tonight. I went back to the Mini hammers with two sets of Moab's. Both were on single narrowed HPI deep star wheel. The first set (set A) had modified stock foams cut almost like this

They other set (B)with some Losi racing 2.2 foams.

Set A went up everything I thru at it, with good sidewall stability. Except the stuff that is just to steep for the rig.
Set A

Set B also went up everything but just squated down a tad more. As far as a better set up it's hard to say. I need to try them out a few more times.
Set B
good sidewall stability check out the left front

Last edited by rckjeep; 08-12-2005 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:17 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

are your tires glued?
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:15 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Do you own a set of moabs yet? Cause they are already softer then the M2K's.

Are you planning on running a full foam modified like that? If so I want to see pics of the mounted tires. That does not look to me like you would get enough flex out of the tread contact patch.
I do own a set of Moabs... When I said I want them softer, I ment I want the foams softer than what I have currently in my M2k's.
As for running the full foam... I do round off the the corners(inside and outside) and narrow the foams slightly, only about a quarter to half an inch. If I decide to narrow my wheels this time, I will narrow my foams more too.
The example isn't exactly to scale. The holes I grind through can be bigger, closer together, or more of them depending on how soft I want it.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:39 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

hey, rckjeep, i was gonna post my "crown of thorns" foam cut, but i see you saved me the trouble!

works good, don't it?
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg13x
I do own a set of Moabs... When I said I want them softer, I ment I want the foams softer than what I have currently in my M2k's.
As for running the full foam... I do round off the the corners(inside and outside) and narrow the foams slightly, only about a quarter to half an inch. If I decide to narrow my wheels this time, I will narrow my foams more too.
The example isn't exactly to scale. The holes I grind through can be bigger, closer together, or more of them depending on how soft I want it.
Gotcha. Although it seems like a lot of work I am looking forward to your test results.

RCKJeep, interesting foam cutting on the A foams. I can't wait until we can hook up for a crawl compare these things in person.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:47 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE
are your tires glued?
yes they're glued. Set A is glued good on the facing side and tacked on the inside. Set B is tacked on both sides
Old 08-12-2005, 10:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep
Set B is tacked on both sides
How did you tack them so cleanly? I can never get it to where you can't see the tacks.

Which ones did you use?

Or

I'll bet money that you used the second one.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:54 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Tacks??? ok Im lost here ;p any threads or explanation on this?
I just ordered my moabs and a set of rpm claw slingshot rims
Guess I get out the meat saw knife and have some foam fun ;p
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:04 PM   #14
RCC Addict

This is the design that i am trying. A concave sort of design. So it will have max sidewall support and IMO a perfect amount of tread flexibility. Also I am trying some proline 2.2 road rage foams. Softer than the moab foams and are about 3/4" thick. They feel pretty good but I'll see how well they work on sunday at the comp! w00t!
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:38 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Rckjeep- I was just wodering if you had two sets or changed the foams on the same set. If it's the same set, how do you get the tire off w/ the glue?
Old 08-12-2005, 10:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE
Rckjeep- I was just wodering if you had two sets or changed the foams on the same set. If it's the same set, how do you get the tire off w/ the glue?
He has two sets.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:55 PM   #17
RCC Addict

So like I said, I finaly got to the foams this weekend, did some work, and got some pics.
Pics are numbered to match my description.
1 & 2: Since I narrowed the wheels a little bit, I decided to narrow the foam. Pic 1 shows the first cut. While Pic 2 shows the total amount out of all 4 foams, one thick cut and one thin.
3 & 4: I rounded off the edges of the foam to help match the contours of the tire.
5 & 6: Pic 5 were the first holes drilled, but they were far too small for my "main" holes. Pic 6 shows the final product.(the blue dots are holes that were drilled after my camera batteries died that day.)
7 & 8: (new camera batteries, next day) Pics of Moabs on narrowed wheels w/ my new foam inserts. Obviously the pics don't show how soft they really are, but they really are soft.

I tried something like this before in my M2k's, but not nearly as big of holes or as many. And this is by far better.
I will try to get more photos of the contact patch and sidewall flex/support next time I'm out on the rocks.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2005, 09:48 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

To tack means to just use little dabs of CA. I use water thin CA in a solvent bottle I got from my old plastic fabrication job, but you can get them at Tap plastics. it's got a fine needle tip. It will hold a bottle of CA no problem and it has a cap. The only issue the needle gets clogged with dried CA. You just take a lighter and squeeze the bottle with the tip over the flame till it opens up again. Be careful CA is flamable & expensive.

Great threads guys. Good tech, lots of pics not a lot of chit chat.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:20 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Here's how I did mine

double narrowed ofna wheels, foams cut in half then into a star

left;just a tire, center; tire,foam&rim, right;cut foam

will test tomorrow
Old 08-28-2005, 01:26 AM   #20

Hey guys I just picked up a set of 2.2" moabs for my TLT Crawler and haven't glued them yet...has anyone tried running w/o any foams and belting the inside of the tire with duct tape?
I've heard that it'll work but didn't have time to try it tonight.
Avery4jc is offline   Reply With Quote