Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Rim and Tire Venting Methods?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Rim and Tire Venting Methods?

Like 1/4elliptic toys, I'm also in the market for a new set of 2.2's and after looking through his "Show off your 2.2 beadlocks" post and seeing that most of the replies are aluminum beadies, I thought it might be cool to have a thread with pics and tech info on prefered methods and tools for venting aluminum and Delrin rims, as well as tires.

So how do you go about it, and why that way?
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
On the lookout for Rocks

I always just vent the wheels. Drill one 1/8" hole in each wheel. Works great for me.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I always do the tires. Mount the tire then cut holes for escape. Depending on foam/tire 2-4 per tire works real well.

With holes in the tires the are can escape without having to travel through the foams (not an easy task for some dense memory foams. Also holes in the tires allow water back out much better should you run in the water.

And no they do not become more prone to ripping.

Last edited by binaryterror; 02-12-2009 at 07:45 AM.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

How do people vent the CDPs from Mayhem?
GaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBronco View Post
How do people vent the CDPs from Mayhem?
I drilled a 1/8 hole through the wheel from the outside into the bearing area. A drill press helps get a straight hole, those wheels are thick AL.
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried valving the vents in order to allow fast compression and slow the rebound?

I'm kind of envisioning two holes, one of which is totally open and the other of which has a butterfly-style valve which allows air to pass out of the tire freely, but restricts/stops the flow of air in?

Or am I nuts?
Coldnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I only vent my tires.... I put two or three (3/32" -to-1/8") holes in the center of the tire tread. A leather punch or a red-hot coat hanger works best. Venting the tires is "better" than venting the wheels because centrifugal force keeps dirt and water OUT of the tire.
Venting tires has been common practice in off-road RC racing (buggy,truggy,MT) for years, but seems like it is just catching on in the crawling world.
and like binaryterror said...venting the tires will not cause them to rip or tear. I have vented hundreds of tires and never had any of them rip.

btw, Venting your wheels is fine... but it is not nessesary, and not to mention I don't to drill vent holes in my $200+ dollar RC wheels
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trugg View Post
I only vent my tires.... I put two or three (3/32" -to-1/8") holes in the center of the tire tread. A leather punch or a red-hot coat hanger works best. Venting the tires is "better" than venting the wheels because centrifugal force keeps dirt and water OUT of the tire.
Venting tires has been common practice in off-road RC racing (buggy,truggy,MT) for years, but seems like it is just catching on in the crawling world.
and like binaryterror said...venting the tires will not cause them to rip or tear. I have vented hundreds of tires and never had any of them rip.

btw, Venting your wheels is fine... but it is not nessesary, and not to mention I don't to drill vent holes in my $200+ dollar RC wheels
dang, never thought of that

1/8 hole in the rim for me.
223voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

even thou i am new to this crawlig world - i vent both tire and rim -3 holes in the tire and 2 in the rim - just my 2 cents
activethunderrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I just leave one screw out of the inner locking ring. All of my Aluminum Beadlocks are already drilled through in that manner, and one less screw won't cause you to lose a bead in with 8 or more holding the rings normally...
PaloAltoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Binary and other guys who vent tires please post a photo ...where do you make the holes sidewall or what?
TheHeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeadHunter View Post
Binary and other guys who vent tires please post a photo ...where do you make the holes sidewall or what?
Right smack in the center of the tire, where the seam is.
PaloAltoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #13
MODERATOR™

I've been doing 3 or 4 holes for about a year. Air moves in and out easier, and faster.

Make the foam do all the work.

You can see the Rover and stock foam air gap...
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

1/8 drill bit into the inner side of the rim
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #15

x2 on drilling inner side of rim.
GHRGRIMREAPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:29 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trugg View Post

Lots of good info coming in here

Tire venting seems like a good way to go...I was concerned about the the integrity being compromised by doing that, but it sounds like they hold up well.

Has anyone experimented with hole location? I see you and Eee Pee go dead center...how about sidewall or a combination of locations?
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:13 AM   #17
RCC Addict

if you holed the sidewall ,it would more likely rip id say.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:26 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
I've been doing 3 or 4 holes for about a year. Air moves in and out easier, and faster.

Make the foam do all the work.

You can see the Rover and stock foam air gap...
Tanks EeePee , that's a great hole

Do you guys do em on Supers too ???
TheHeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:50 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
Has anyone experimented with hole location? I see you and Eee Pee go dead center...how about sidewall or a combination of locations?
The point it to get air out, so it doesn't matter where. The reason I choose the center near the seam is because in molding the seams tend to be the hottest and thickest area.

Sidewall would get caught by rocks more so and lead to ripping. I know people and Berg steering knuckles have caught a tire and ripped them.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #20
MODERATOR™

I don't think location really matters all that much as far as being more effective over another location. With multiple holes you're always going to get the venting action. I used the HB logo on the sidewall for consistency.

All and all, I don't think it really matters whether you vent a rim, or tire, just make sure you have enough holes in whichever, and the air isn't restricted to move in and out as fast as it can.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote