Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Diesel softens rubber!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2005, 05:15 PM   #1

Exclamation Diesel softens rubber!

All you have to do to soften rubber (especially vehicle tires) is to let them soak up some diesel fuel. I've seen the rear tank on big pickups spring leaks where the spare tire is hung under the tank and I can tell you it works. In a vehicle's case it ruins the tire but a controlled soak will obtain results such as softer stickier rubber.:-P The rubber will swell some as well, kind of like an allergic reaction. Try starting with an hour long soak on rc tires. Repeat as needed and make sure to wash and dry the tires in between soakings. I work for Goodyear so the disclaimer on this one is diesel ruins vehicle tires!!! Don't try this on real vehicles!
KScrawler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2005, 05:22 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

The only problem I noticed with petroleum softening is that during the swelling process the tire bead also grows in diameter. I ended up fitting 1.9" Pajero tires onto 2.2" Superten rims. Additionally, in my experiements with gas and WD 40 it made glueing my tires more difficult as well.
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:43 PM   #3
06 Super National Champ

Rumor has it that some of the pro racers treat the faces of their tires with diesel.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:19 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I've used WD40 on some tires over the years, just the tread face though. Makes 'em a little bit more sticky. Actually just did the set of slicks we have on our brushless Willy last weekend. Quite a bit of difference, especially since the tires are 15 years old Dunno if you can still get it but "fuel oil" works decent too. Not sure of the long term results though.
RCALLOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:16 PM   #5

i have meet many racers that soak the faces of their tires in deisel. I takes way less than an hour to acheive results, u can do it in less than five minutes with good results. It is illegal in racing but if you don't swell the tire too much many people get away with it.

zack
wanabgts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:29 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

could this eat away at the tire? how exactly could you do this? could you do it on the little nylint rigs?
skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:49 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Considering that Deisel fual is an oil, its not really that surprising that this happens. Same with WD-40. It will make things harder to glue if you get it on the bead, because glue+oil=no sticky. Eating away the rubber is actully how it softens the rubber, although it won't do any harm, if you leave them in waaaaay to long (I'm talking days/weeks here) it can totally destroy the tire. Don't try this with Petrol though, in theory it should actully dry out the tire.
Ultima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:05 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Fuel oil is kerosene. You can buy it here at the pump.
gotmuddy is offline   Reply With Quote