Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: 2.2 Comp Tire Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 07:33 AM   #61
Rock Crawler

awsome review so far, cant wait till you compare the grabbers to the xlocks...thats what im really curious about.
nj05nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #62
I wanna be Dave

you know, id like to see how the Blue Compound Rovers stack up.

seem like it'd be a lot of work, but i just got a set and really like them.

the only aspect of the tires that seem different than the whites are the actual lugs.

they seem a lil stiffer and more edgey. thus far the seem to me to have a lil more forward bite.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGmicromonster View Post
I could test the same tires and use different foams than you did and get totally different results. You are using a controlled environment when doing the incline testing why change the foams?
Yes you could get different Results if you used different Foams. I'm using Foams set ups that have been Comp Proven by many of the Top Drivers. By using these foams. I know for a fact they work and work well.

I want each tire to have a Fair Chance... By tuning each foam set for every Tire. I'm giving them the Fairest Advantage. By not using NIP Tires. I have given the tires a Chance to break in a get better if they do. Not all tires get better when used. Unless you plan on just buying tires to run one time and trash... The NIP Tires for testing is a waste of time and results.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #64
Pebble Pounder

Do you adjust your rig for belly height when going testing all these tires?

Going from say a Panther to a Rover is easily 1/4" difference in skid clearance. I can't imagine some of the shorter tires out there. This could alter testing results.
RealDeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealDeel View Post
Do you adjust your rig for belly height when going testing all these tires?

Going from say a Panther to a Rover is easily 1/4" difference in skid clearance. I can't imagine some of the shorter tires out there. This could alter testing results.
If I saw that was limiting the Performance I would, but it hasn't been shown to yet. The Panthers will crwler1 Foams and the Rovers with crwler1 foams are the same height... The X-Locks are the tallest tire I have tested so far. Which had the highest measured skid clearance. Which would mean the Highest COG... But yet they still are barely winning.. So has of yet, that hasn't made a difference.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

have you got to the comp claws yet?
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:29 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
For example:
Tire A
Ideal Foam (list what was used): 9.5
Stock Foam: 6.3
Common Foam: 7.5
Average: 7.76
On this result.. Which foam set up would you choose for your Comp Rig?

My Guess is the one that scored the highest. Correct? This is what I'm doing.. I'm just skipping the Common and Stock Set ups.. I'm jumping to the Top performing Foam choices for each tire and testing that...

Not trying to argue.

Tires performace and Foam Tuning goes hand in Hand... Can anyone argue with that? So for a Tire to get a Fair shot and be tested at it's best. It needs to be tested with the Correct Foam set up for that Tire.

Oh don't forget all the Video Footage as well.

Last edited by run2jeepn; 05-26-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
I agree with Mr. Palacios, most accurate would be to use several different foams in all the tires to show how the tires work with different setups, since the foam setups you are using currently are still just an opinion, even if they are winning comps(because tires alone don't win comps)
I also agree(and said earlier)doing it right is a big burden for 1 person both financially and with time, but can be done.
I agree 100% and this is what I'm trying to show. I know tires don't win a Comp. But the Top Drivers do choose the best Tire and Foam Set up they can find. This is what I'm doing. I already have some Pro-Line 2 stage foams for the Chisels to test them again. So they have another shoot. The Panthers, X-Locks and Rovers are both getting tested again with F400 Panther Non-Memory Foams. The X-Locks seemed to come with a new softer Non-Memory foam now aswell. Which I will be testing too.

I have tons of money rapped up in this test already with more to spend. Thats way I was glad crwler1 was nice enough to contact me and send me a set of Foams for testing.

Back to the Rok Lox's... These tires came out after the test started. Since I work close with Rc4wd on a few things. I was given a set to test. And since I'm building a Scale Jeep.. Things just worked out that way. I just throw them in the Mix for one round of testing to see how they compared is all. Not really to be part of the Main testing at all.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:03 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Testing results come from Culetto
Thanks

Losi Comp Claws

Spec's:
4 7/8in Tall
2 1/8in Wide
Diff Clearance 1 5/8in
Axle Tube Clearance 2in
Center Skid Clearance 3in
Track Width 10 1/4in (front) 9 3/4 (rear)

I was asked to add the Losi Comp Claws into this mix since i just picked up a pair a few weeks ago and was always a fan of the original claws. Many places we crawl here in Vegas have rock that changes in the middle of the course. From slippery granite to lava rock to sandstone on one line in some places.

The Tread is almost identical to the original Claws with a couple minor exceptions. The horizontal lugs have been siped for a bit more sidehilling, some of the center lugs now cross over the middle seam, and the base of the tire under the lugs has been textured. The compound is losi blue but remember, the compound is only as good as the thickness of the rubber used. These feel a tiny bit firmer overall than the original Losi's but mine were well used so they are right in the same ballpark.

Foam Set up: The stock memory foams that come with them are very soft and dense, but also very narrow. On a light rig (read Losi Comp Crawler) these should do well stock. On heavier rigs they need a bit more support so i set the foams up exactly like my old standby claws only with more diameter using the stock memory foams.

Left: Old claws with Aces Donuts and a 1/2 ring of non-memory. Right: Comp Claws with the stock Losi memory foams and 5/8 ring of non-memory.

Mounted, only a sleight difference in height.

Off Camber Shot

These tires are brilliant. Its basically all Losi needed to do to update an already stellar tire to keep up with all the tall tires out now. My only complaint is they could even be taller but that's personal preference not a downside of the tires. These sidehill just as good as the original claws and with the siped lugs they will hold a line even in the most oddball offcamber situations.

Rating the Comp Claws:

* Slick Rock: 7 out of 10
* Rough/Coarse Rock: 8 out of 10
* Compound: 8 out of 10
* Loose Rock/Dirt: 7 out of 10
* Forward Bite: 8 out of 10
* Off Camber 9 out of 10

Wet Rock and Vertical Climb still need to be tested..

Score so far..... 7.83
Old 05-27-2009, 04:32 AM   #70
RCC Addict

Thx for your time and effort run2jeepn!!
Great info here!
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:34 AM   #71

I was wondering if you could test the proline hammers, or if you have heard any good or bads on those tires. Thanks. Great Job your doing
HossManny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:59 PM   #72
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
I agree 100% and this is what I'm trying to show.
Yessir, and thanks for taking the time.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Sorry about the Last video taking so long. Everytime I get the time to make it. Windows Movie Maker either Freeze's or won't make it. (Works Computer)

I'll get one made up while at home.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbruiser View Post
Hey Jarrod Go ahead and use uncut F-400 foams In all the tires .
And lets see how FAIR everyone feels this test is then.
I am not real sure how you would get a Uncut F-400 in the shorter tires but it would give the same foam for testing.
Thats what Im running in my comp claws and it works well

But yes, running these foams in a shorter tire would be a little ridiculous lol
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysthelimit View Post
you said the Panthers with crawlr1 foams and the Rovers with crawlr1 foams are the same height? in the pic you posted of the tires from tallest to shortest, the Rovers look like they are a good half inch taller than the Panthers, so what's the deal, do the Rovers lose that much height when mounted that they become the same size as the Panthers and Losi tires (basically losing 1/2" of overall height)? I was gonna get some Rovers for a bit more diff clearance, but if they end up that short when on the truck, I may think again about it...Also, I didn't see your posted heights, widths, and clearances for the Rovers and Panthers as you did for the other tires. If you could throw those up there I'd appreciate it.

A tire can only be as tall as the Foams will let it... That's the Deal. Numbers after I get back from Vacation.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #76
Rock Crawler

man this thread is freakin awesome! im so dieing to see how the grabbers score! thats def alot of work thx for takin the time and effort to do it
resetpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:14 AM   #77

Any updates?

I am looking for a better set of tires for my new Creeper (Newb to this site & RC crawling). I want the added height of a 5.5" tire and better traction that what i have now. I like the look of the Rock Grabbers, but with researchthe Rovers seem to be the tire of choice. Hopefully you will have a review of the Grabbers soon.

Great thread though- alot of useful info here!

Thx
TD
Mountain Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:19 AM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Alright I'm going to pick this back up and get on track again. Between vacation and catching up on orders. Time for this has been hard to come by.

I've been running the X-Locks in all the Comps so far. They haven't missed a beat. I did change the memory foams out due to the high temps we have been seeing here. The memory foams I had wasn't side hilling good at all. I changed those out for the stock Foams that came with them. Seemed to work really well. But they still seem a little to soft for me....

I'm going to try the Firm/Firm crwler1 foam set up next with the X-Locks...

Next Round of testing will be between the Losi Comp Claws and the JConcepts with F400 Panther Foams.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:42 AM   #79
Rock Crawler

Any updates?
trailduster79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #80
I wanna be Dave

whats your x-lock secret?

they seem to suck balls round here
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote