RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/)
-   -   2.2 Comp Tire Reviews (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/174711-2-2-comp-tire-reviews.html)

run2jeepn 04-24-2009 02:21 AM

2.2 Comp Tire Reviews

All tires to be tested.
Chisels
Panthers
JConcepts
Comp Claws
X-Locks
White Rovers
HPI Grabbers
Rc4wd 2.2 Rok Lox

I can add more if Requested...Just post up and I'll order the tires up and test them out and Compare them to the others.

First up...

Test Rig #1
  • Rc4wd Bully Axles
  • Jp Custom Rc's HaVoc Chassis
  • 80mm Mod'ed Shocks
  • ESC Castle SW
  • Castle BEC
  • DX3R
  • Hitec 5955TG
  • JConcepts Body
  • Eritex Adjustabe Offset Beadlocks (Narrow)
  • 1500mah 3 cell Lipo
  • Rigs Total RTR Weight 7lbs 6.1oz

Pro-Line Chisels's
Height Mounted: 5-1/4in
Width: 2-1/8in
Total Weight mounted in Test: 16.1oz Front, 11oz Rear

Not going to write much on these as Joesbruiser already did a great review. Read his review Here..
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/171956-my-2-2-chisel-review.html

The G8 Compound is a large improvement over the older M2 and M3 Tires from Pro-Line. The Tire itself isn't as soft has Panthers or X-Locks, but they have a tacky feel to them. If they where any softer. I think it would hurt them more on Off Camber and cause the Lugs to fold under to easy.

With running the Chisel's on Test Rig #1 they gave me 3.5in Center Clearance, Diff Clearance 2-1/16in and Tube Clearance 2-1/2in. Foam set up was Double Stuffed memory foams. Stiff enough to keep the lugs from folding, but still confirm to the rocks.

The First test on these was pretty basic. Vertical Ramp and Forward Bite. First things first these Tires really shine on Forward bite. The Chisels large Deep Lugs are little fingers always grabing and looking for something to grab. With that said, they don't like wheelspeed. They really shine and do well with nice slow tire rotations. So for guys who like driving slow and
Technical. These tires would be a nice tire to have in your stock pile.

Vertical test: I was able to pull 67 degress on my Ramp.. The Height mixxed with the Large aggressive lugs isn't the best for test like these. They cause them to wander and skip. Which results in lost traction.

Ledges Small and Large: With the rocks I tested on they really shined here. If I drove slow. Every time I gave it more throttle. I noticed the lugs would skip and loose traction. Slow was the key to get these to work.

Digs: I think the larger Lugs here held the Rear better. with the Higher wheelspeed for burns. The Chisels would loose there traction some, but not enough to hinder them. Every dig I tried worked perfect.

Some Pic's:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/DSCF3004.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/DSCF3003.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...alfinalcut.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...eepn/Test2.jpg

Grade Results for Chisels with Double Stuffed memory Foams:

• Vertical Climb 7 out of 10
  • Forward Bite 8 out of 10
  • Compound 8 out of 10
  • Off Camber 7 out of 10
  • Rough/Coarse Rock: 9 out of 10
  • Loose Rock/Dirt 9.5 out of 10
  • Slick Rock 7 out of 10
  • Wet Rock 6.5 out of 10

Average Score of 7.75

Next Tested with the Chisels will be with Panthers Non-Memory Foams. I'm hoping to see better results with that set up.

k9popo 04-24-2009 02:34 AM

Great idea Jarod a non bias shoot out"thumbsup"

One question though, to make the competition fair are you using all new tires???

run2jeepn 04-24-2009 02:37 AM

All the tires have about the same use on them. 2-5 packs ran threw them. I figured when you order a new set of tires. Many only have the chance to get 2-5 packs ran through them before thier next Comp. So the idea here is to give you the idea of what you might expect to see.

I also Cleaned and used a Green scotch bright pad to scuff them up.

joesbruiser 04-24-2009 08:04 AM

Thanks for the comment on the write up."thumbsup":lol:

I have a question.
As you do your test what foams are you going to use for different tires?
I know it seems to be common practice to use the same foams in all of the test tires and IMHO is completely unfair and does not give a true result on how the tire works.

dano104 04-24-2009 12:46 PM

I'd just be curious to see how the regular rock claws perform, as well as a set of Badlands, and Rock Grabbers

run2jeepn 04-24-2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joesbruiser (Post 1757817)
Thanks for the comment on the write up."thumbsup":lol:

I have a question.
As you do your test what foams are you going to use for different tires?
I know it seems to be common practice to use the same foams in all of the test tires and IMHO is completely unfair and does not give a true result on how the tire works.

No They will not be using the Same Foams. That is one thing I don't think is fair either. Each one will have different foams.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dano104 (Post 1758272)
I'd just be curious to see how the regular rock claws perform, as well as a set of Badlands, and Rock Grabbers

Claws? What are those.....:lol: I didn't choice the Claws since they have been around long enough to go to Two Nationals. I'll see if one of my Team Drivers still has any Claws around and see if his willing to post his Results for ya.

joesbruiser 04-24-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by run2jeepn (Post 1758305)
No They will not be using the Same Foams. That is one thing I don't think is fair either. Each one will have different foams..

You are my HERO for today:lol:"thumbsup"

ROCKEDUP RICKY 04-24-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by run2jeepn (Post 1758305)
No They will not be using the Same Foams. That is one thing I don't think is fair either. Each one will have different foams.

Claws? What are those.....:lol: I didn't choice the Claws since they have been around long enough to go to Two Nationals. I'll see if one of my Team Drivers still has any Claws around and see if his willing to post his Results for ya.

I agree with you and Joe, that every tire works different with the same foams."thumbsup"

J-Rock 04-24-2009 10:17 PM

You are doing amazing work here. One thing I have learned is that everyone on here is a critic. I like getting one man's opinion of how each tire works. I needed some updates on some of the newer tires. I have the chisels and love them, but man I miss my panthers, think I may have to go back.

run2jeepn 04-24-2009 11:11 PM

HPI Rock Grabbers..... I throw them in the mix as well.

run2jeepn 04-25-2009 04:05 AM

I've been lucky enough to get a PM from crwler1 about using a set of his foams in some of the testings. Now there is a lot of post and a few threads of these foams in use of Panthers. Rovers even have a few. So I'm going to start them off in the X-Locks first...

run2jeepn 04-26-2009 04:29 PM

Got some more testing down today. Got the Chisels tested on Slick rock and Off Camber. They did alright, but not the best. I'll post a short Vid of a few of the spots that it had a hard time on. I'm going to change the Foams out for some Non-Memory Panther Foams. Then I will come back to these and ReTest them again in all the same Spots.

I tested the X-Locks as well. They shined on the Slick rock, Ledges and pretty much everything I could throw at them. These tires surpassed anything Rc4wd has came out with before. I still need to test them in Dirt and Off Camber some more... Short Vid of these soon as well.

I'll have the Crawlr1 Foams in sometime this week. I will try these in the Chisels and X-Locks as well.

2500hdon37s 04-27-2009 02:57 PM

try the comp claw and rock carvers my carvers hung with panthers at my last comp

run2jeepn 04-27-2009 03:51 PM

I updated the First post with 1st round of testing on the Chisels. With the foam set up I had they worked great in the rough stuff, but once the Smooth stuff came up. They just were not up to the Challange. I believe this is due to the Large Deep lugs don't allowing much contact on the smooth rock. The Large Deep Lugs work great on rough and course rock. Next testing with the Chisels will be with Panther Non-Memory Foam.

Now Moving on to Rc4wd X-Locks.... Working on Video and text now...

run2jeepn 04-27-2009 05:23 PM

X-Locks on Test Rig one

Spec's:
  • 5-1/4in Tall
  • Just under 2in Wide
  • Diff Clearance 2-1/6in
  • Axle Tube Clearance 2-3/8in
  • Center Skid Clearance 3.5in
  • Track Width 9-3/4in
Now this may be a big shock to some. Rc4wd actual making a Comp worthy Tire. 6 months ago. I would have just laughed if I got asked that. But these have proven themselves to hang with any Comp Tire out.

The Tread is real shallow in the middle with an X Shape. This X-Shape is a great design for Crawler Tires. No matter how the tire folds. The Thread doesn't connect and make a slick surface. You always get a edge to bit with.

The Compound is as close as to the Panthers you can get with out Being them. The Compound feels sticker/Tacker then any Compound out. The Rubber itself is very Stretchy and has a Soft then Sidewall. So you need foams that will support them. Foam Set up: I used 5.25in Tall Memory Makers from Xtreme Rc Hobbies. I then cut 1/4 maybe a little less of the Stock Foams and Glued to the Sides.

Off Camber Shot
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/CIMG1668.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/CIMG1669.jpg
Rating the X-Locks:

• Vertical Climb 8.5 out of 10
  • Forward Bite: 8 out of 10
  • Compound: 8.5 out of 10
  • Slick Rock: 9 out of 10
  • Rough/Coarse Rock: 9 out of 10 (due to Great Compound)
  • Loose Rock/Dirt: 7 out of Ten (Due to short Tread Depth)
  • Off Camber 8 out of 10
  • Wet Rock 8 out of 10

Average Score of 8.25

Now here is the Video I got. I didn't get to hit the Slick rock much. I lost a nut on the front lower Links. But from what I was able to hit. They Surpassed the Chisels with ease. But don't count the chisels out yet. New foams on the way for them. Going to give them a 2nd try.

Video Times:
2:51 thru 3:19 I have Never made this climb before. First try pulled it..:shock:
3:35 thru 3:49 Only made it once before. Pulled it 3 times in a row.
3:50 thru 3:56 Compare this climb to how the Chisels did in their Video.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...jeepn/xpic.jpg

PapaGeno21 04-27-2009 10:10 PM

I have had 3 sets of proline tires, and the bead sucks on all of them. How was it on the chisels?

How was the bead on the RC4WD tires?

run2jeepn 04-27-2009 10:38 PM

The beads where fine on all of them. I really have never had any problems with beads. The worst beads I have came across so far is the White Rovers.

run2jeepn 04-27-2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkrw3 (Post 1764521)
Wow my white rovers mounted easier than any tire I have ever owned"thumbsup"

They mounted easy, but the Beads deformed. I never pulled a bead, but they always seems to look like they half way did.

run2jeepn 04-27-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P1choco (Post 1764523)
Did I miss it? I just saw your video of the X-Locks in action. What foams are you running?

Foam Set up: I used 5.25in Tall Memory Makers from Xtreme Rc Hobbies. I then cut 1/4 maybe a little less of the Stock Foams and Glued to the Sides.

P1choco 04-28-2009 12:24 AM

I would have thought that there would be too much of an air gap with 5.25. Looks like they are filled in pretty good.