Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Big Joes...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2005, 03:01 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Big Joes...

Searched big* joe* and different find much info...

Any opinions on these tires? What the heck is M2 compound?
kidcurry73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2005, 06:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

The M2 compound is Proline's soft rubber compound. Do a search on the Proline Moabs - they are made from the same M2 compound, and people love them - it seems to be the stickiest rubber out there.

As for the Big Joe's themselves - people seem to love them for bashing, but I have not heard much about them for crawling. They do have wide spaced lugs, but smooth sidewalls.

Last edited by Mad Scientist; 10-14-2005 at 06:38 PM.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:33 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I ran big joe's on my txt untill I got my moab's. The joe's did really well on most terrain.
cowboyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 10:23 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I've got a pair (2) I'll sell ya for $20.00 shipped... I won them at Green River last april, still new in the bag!

Heavy
Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:30 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I think Gimbal runs a set of cut and shut Big joes on his Clod creation.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:33 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
The M2 compound is Proline's soft rubber compound.
WRONG! M2 is not Prolines soft compound. It's their normal compound. The M3 is their soft compound.

[QOUTE=Mad Scientist]Do a search on the Proline Moabs - they are made from the same M2 compound, and people love them - it seems to be the stickiest rubber out there.
[/QUOTE]
Yes people love them, but if you think that that is the stickiest rubber around, you really need to feel some of the M3 compound. That stuff is crazy soft.

You wont get a very good answer on this site, unfortunatly, because everyone is very biased towards Proline Moabs. I agree with them. Everybody wouldn't like them tihs much if they worked really well. Big Joes have good tread, but they just dont have enough sidewall to conform to the rocks very well. They are really wide for how tall they are. I suppose that you could put the tread from some Big Joes on Moab sidewall, but that would take forever, and cost alot, and the tires would still only be as good as Moabs, if they even were that good. I think that someone put LST tread on some Jumbo Kong sidewalls, and they liked it, and it seemed to do very well, so it might be worthwhile. I would just go with the crowd.

I hope that was helpfull. If it wasn't, then that was a couple of minutes that you will never get back. SUCKER!

Peace
harris
Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 08:29 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

IMO Moabs work better than Big Joes or the Dirt Hawgs I run. However the Big Joes do hook up well if you Cut-n-Shut.
chafey runs Big Joes too with good success. Here is a shot of his rig, then mine...

Gimbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:51 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris
WRONG! M2 is not Prolines soft compound. It's their normal compound. The M3 is their soft compound.
I never said it was the softest compound they made. While the M2 may be thier "standard" compound, it is still considered a soft sompound. This quote is direct from the Proline website, under the description for the 40 Series Moabs -

"· Made from super-soft M2 compound"

From what I saw on the Proline website, it seems the only tires available in the M3 are 1/10 scale racing tires, which wouldn't fair too well on the rocks anyway.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:47 AM   #9
Say hello to my dactylion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris
You wont get a very good answer on this site, unfortunatly, because everyone is very biased towards Proline Moabs. I agree with them. Everybody wouldn't like them tihs much if they worked really well. Big Joes have good tread, but they just dont have enough sidewall to conform to the rocks very well. They are really wide for how tall they are. I suppose that you could put the tread from some Big Joes on Moab sidewall, but that would take forever, and cost alot, and the tires would still only be as good as Moabs, if they even were that good. I think that someone put LST tread on some Jumbo Kong sidewalls, and they liked it, and it seemed to do very well, so it might be worthwhile. I would just go with the crowd.
I don't run Moabs one reason being is to much side bite (side-bite is over-rated). The other reasons... to heavy, too wide and they are 40 series. So I'm not one of those "biased" ones.

There are only 2 sets of tires you will ever need on your STP Super crawlers. Pro-line Maxx Mashers and Pro-Line Maxx Mulchers. Where one tire doesn't work the other one will.
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:25 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

yes!! ive been linked! i love my narrow joes but they have really started to dry out and dont grab as well as they used to. hey gimbal those arent big joes they are dirt hawgs.you got too much machinist voo doo mumbo jumbo going on in your head! i will be narrowing up a set of the dirt hawgs this winter.
chafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:11 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chafey
yes!! ive been linked! i love my narrow joes but they have really started to dry out and dont grab as well as they used to. hey gimbal those arent big joes they are dirt hawgs.you got too much machinist voo doo mumbo jumbo going on in your head! i will be narrowing up a set of the dirt hawgs this winter.
...I wonder if there is a drug out to fix that? IMO, the Joes work better than the Dirt Hawgs. But maybe that's cause yours are slightly narrower than mine...

BTW, I was also impressed with the Masher 40's at Moab.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:30 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

are you coming to the nov comp gimbal? it will be the last time your dagger is legal
chafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:48 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

...I have reservations about travelling North in November Plus I dunno if I will have my junk together or not. Well see