Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Tire Break In??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tire Break In??

My question is how do the experienced drivers break in their tires? All I have been doing is driving my crawler up and down the street and over some rocks I can find to crawl. I know there is a better way to break in tires. Also, how do you know when tires are good to go????
BMFOTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Breaking in your tires

Most people say your tires are comp ready when they feel soft and flex well on rocks. You can help make your tires softer by soaking them with WD40. Your tires will work a whole lot better.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Most people say your tires are comp ready when they feel soft and flex well on rocks. You can help make your tires softer by soaking them with WD40. Your tires will work a whole lot better.
thanks for the reply, but what does WD40 do to the tire to make them better performers?
Old 05-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Keep driving on the tires...that's the best way I know how to break in tires. Getting some wheelspeed on some rocks will do it, as will crawling with them...after all, that's what they're going to be used for and you can get some crawling practice in too.
joemomma95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

A lot of people use simple green. Either full strength or diluted. It makes the rubber stickier plus its water soluable unlinke WD40. Just soak the tires then wash them and let them air dry. I dont know if its a chemical or molecular reaction just that it works. It changes/conditions the rubber.
Ripperfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:28 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripperfi View Post
A lot of people use simple green. Either full strength or diluted. It makes the rubber stickier plus its water soluable unlinke WD40. Just soak the tires then wash them and let them air dry. I dont know if its a chemical or molecular reaction just that it works. It changes/conditions the rubber.
Is the simple green a one time treatment? Any idea how long people soak the tires in the simple green?
Old 05-23-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

i hold my rig by the front or rear axle and spin them in on the concrete at full throttle
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:41 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
i hold my rig by the front or rear axle and spin them in on the concrete at full throttle

why and for how long??? doesnt that just wear out your tire tread more than make the rubber softer???
Old 05-23-2009, 06:45 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFOTP View Post
Is the simple green a one time treatment? Any idea how long people soak the tires in the simple green?
i spray the tires with a healthy coat ,,let it sit for a lil while,,then wash it off and air dry,,i only do it b4 comps,,our club has comps once a month,,so i dont do it that often,,works awesome though
dezmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:01 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

To break in a new set of Panthers, I mount them up, hold the truck just off of the pavement and pull the throttle. I let the concrete do the work.

Before each comp, I remove the tires and clean them with this stuff:
http://www.jpcustomrcs.atomicshops.c...59/5166032.htm
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:16 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
To break in a new set of Panthers, I mount them up, hold the truck just off of the pavement and pull the throttle. I let the concrete do the work.

Before each comp, I remove the tires and clean them with this stuff:
http://www.jpcustomrcs.atomicshops.c...59/5166032.htm

thx for the hyperlilnk. looks like the best suggestion yet in this thread. i am ordering some today.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I've always used engine degreaser on my monster truck tires but I've never treated my crawler tires. I scuff them up on concrete and periodically wash them with dish soap. Some tires need washing more than others, and some need more break in than others. Proline M2 and M3 seem to really need a lot of break in, whereas losi tires seem to need a lot less less break in. Panthers really work better clean, I've noticed less of a difference with proline and losi tires.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
thx for the hyperlilnk. looks like the best suggestion yet in this thread. i am ordering some today.
Simple Green smells better than the JPs stuff (which smells like cherries), but JPs mixture works better than the Simple Green.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I treat my panthers with simple green after every comp. It seems to work best if you spray the tire and scrub the simple green in with a brush. Then I let it completely dry then I rinse them.

I dont break in Panthers either. Just mount them and drive.
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I have been using simple green works very well but i might just try the jp .
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyal View Post
I treat my panthers with simple green after every comp. It seems to work best if you spray the tire and scrub the simple green in with a brush. Then I let it completely dry then I rinse them.

I dont break in Panthers either. Just mount them and drive.
what does simple green do to the tires? does it just clean them really well or make them sticker or softer?
Old 05-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
what does simple green do to the tires? does it just clean them really well or make them sticker or softer?
All three.
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #18
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripperfi View Post
Simple Green just cleans the rubber of all dirt,grease and debris. Applying to a used tire,you just get a "new" clean tire that's pre scuffed.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #19
RCC Addict

personally i just use some paragon i heard its basically simple green but i find it works a little better. i think the menthol oil helps open up the pores of the rubber for better traction.

i hate the smell though, kinda like bengay
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXt559 View Post
personally i just use some paragon i heard its basically simple green but i find it works a little better. i think the menthol oil helps open up the pores of the rubber for better traction.

i hate the smell though, kinda like bengay
hay, old guys like me like the smell of bengay. what is paragon? is it a cleaner? where can i get some? etc, etc, etc