Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: what is a good 1.9 tire for snow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default what is a good 1.9 tire for snow

I have been looking and I cant see anything that looks like it will not preform poorly in an inch of snow. btw i would like something that has a scale look. Thanks

-Sam
losiminicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Flashpoint and mud slingers from rc4wd.com !.9 Flatirons from Pro-Line iIf you really wanted too, you could cut and shut some 2.2 Panther Paddle truck tires down to 1.9 size. I dont know of any others at the moment Also it seems to me the snow would cake up the tire no matter what it is. Lots of wheelspeed would help with this. this would come from an aftermarket motor/esc combo
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
Flashpoint and mud slingers from rc4wd.com !.9 Flatirons from Pro-Line iIf you really wanted too, you could cut and shut some 2.2 Panther Paddle truck tires down to 1.9 size. I dont know of any others at the moment Also it seems to me the snow would cake up the tire no matter what it is. Lots of wheelspeed would help with this. this would come from an aftermarket motor/esc combo

I am planing to use the tamiya hummer which i have heard gets into the upper teens. What about dirt grabbers?
Old 10-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

when it snowed here I took my stock slash wheels and tires (made the steering crap) and put them on my losi mrc and they did decent mainly because of the extra ground clearance and no extra weight in them it kinda floated on top of the snow. other than that on a hummer you might want to try rc4wd mudslingers but cut out every other lug to help keep the snow from packing in thats just my 2cents and keep your rig really light if you can
dman1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman1101 View Post
when it snowed here I took my stock slash wheels and tires (made the steering crap) and put them on my losi mrc and they did decent mainly because of the extra ground clearance and no extra weight in them it kinda floated on top of the snow. other than that on a hummer you might want to try rc4wd mudslingers but cut out every other lug to help keep the snow from packing in thats just my 2cents and keep your rig really light if you can

Thanks for the advice, do you think the dirt grabbers would get very little traction in snow?
Old 10-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by losiminicrawler View Post
Thanks for the advice, do you think the dirt grabbers would get very little traction in snow?
it depends on your rig if it floats on top of the snow you shouldn't have a problem but if you sink in or if you don't have enough ground clearance they might pack up but if you have decent wheel speed might be able to keep them clean, you might also look at the flashpoints. how much snow are you going to be playing in depth wise. Nevermind I just noticed you're from North Bend, you planning to go up to the pass or just around home? So you are looking at between 4"-12" give or take a few inches. With the wet snow we get here you might be able to float on top of the snow but you have to watch where you drive so you don't get stuck and dug in.

Last edited by dman1101; 10-02-2009 at 02:18 PM.
dman1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman1101 View Post
it depends on your rig if it floats on top of the snow you shouldn't have a problem but if you sink in or if you don't have enough ground clearance they might pack up but if you have decent wheel speed might be able to keep them clean, you might also look at the flashpoints. how much snow are you going to be playing in depth wise. Nevermind I just noticed you're from North Bend, you planning to go up to the pass or just around home? So you are looking at between 4"-12" give or take a few inches. With the wet snow we get here you might be able to float on top of the snow but you have to watch where you drive so you don't get stuck and dug in.
ya, my house is at about 1000 ft, so we ussually get a good amount of snow each winter. I am planning to drive through about an inch or two of wet snow. o and these tires will be mounted on a tamiya hummer.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
RCC Addict

the problem with scale tires in snow, is the size of the ice crystals making up the snow.

by the time you get your tire the right size, it is closer to driving in pea gravel with a 1:1

with enough wheelspeed you can keep the tires clean, but the hummer chassis doesn't have an excess of traction.
I did fairly well with mudslingers uncut on a cc-01 chassis with a 1250Kv outrunner on 3s through about 1.5" of snow, but if it got any deeper the chassis would highcenter and leave the wheels hanging

hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairba11 View Post
the problem with scale tires in snow, is the size of the ice crystals making up the snow.

by the time you get your tire the right size, it is closer to driving in pea gravel with a 1:1

with enough wheelspeed you can keep the tires clean, but the hummer chassis doesn't have an excess of traction.
I did fairly well with mudslingers uncut on a cc-01 chassis with a 1250Kv outrunner on 3s through about 1.5" of snow, but if it got any deeper the chassis would highcenter and leave the wheels hanging

Ya so wont the bigger tires raise the gc a little bit more? Because the tamiya hummer tires are 84mm i believe and the dirt grabbers are about 96mm, so that will give me another half a centimeter or more of clearence.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
RCC Addict

im not sure, but maybe the rok lox would be another option. .. .
IDnewcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDnewcrwlr View Post
im not sure, but maybe the rok lox would be another option. .. .
do you think the rox loxs would fit of look good on the tamiya hummer?
Old 10-04-2009, 07:41 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ya so wont the bigger tires raise the gc a little bit more? Because the tamiya hummer tires are 84mm i believe and the dirt grabbers are about 96mm, so that will give me another half a centimeter or more of clearence.
yes, half a centimeter, or about | much.
hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
do you think the rox loxs would fit of look good on the tamiya hummer?
no way in hell you will get roxloxs on a hummer without either cutting the heck out of the body or lifting it alot..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Mud Slingers for sure do the trick. Other tires tend to fill up with snow fast.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #15
I joined the Band!

thanks for all the replys guys.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:04 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB1165

They are scale...ish.
theslowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Speed Junkie has some Plowboys that someone here on the forums cut and shut for a 1.9. They look like they would clean out easily.
Biggons is offline   Reply With Quote