Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Wheels... Heavy or Light? why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Wheels... Heavy or Light? why?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm curious if you can help me understand the pros and cons of heavy wheels and light wheels.

So many run heavier Vanquish Revolver wheels with full weights or Mayhem Ultimate comp wheels or Double phatties.

But now I am seeing many wanting lighter wheels such as Vanquish SLW or Mayhems new Lightweight ultra comp wheel.

When would a rig require one or the other?

I'm in the market for new wheels for my build, but now not sure which way to go.
the02stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

It's all about how heavy you feel comfortable with on your rig and the weight of your rig. I like light wheels personally because I run heavy bully axles so extra weight needs shed and the easiest way to get rid of it is through wheels.
nismotuningrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
RCC Addict

i too prefer lighter wheels to begin with. i am starting a bully build soon and am going to run cac EZlocks to start and go from there. in my axial comp rig i had the EZlocks with like 8-10oz per front tire, and like 5-7oz per rear, but with the bullys being so heavy i dont think ill need to have half that weight. you could always add weight to lighter wheels to make em heavier. .. . just my $.02
IDnewcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I've run my wheels light for over 2 years now, on my personal rigs, simply because I like how nimble it makes my rig. The lack of stress on my drive-train also makes it so I rarely if ever break, even when all bound up. That said, with the new tires and foams out, the equation of weight=traction has changed dramatically. Light weight wheels also = more power and run time as rotating mass = parasitic loss.
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

Many of the top winning pro drivers are still running full weight their front wheels. so it is a preference or driving skill type.
tom@vp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post
The lack of stress on my drive-train also makes it so I rarely if ever break, even when all bound up.
Bingo! If you need to run heavy wheels, then you'd better have strong axleshafts/cvds to back them up.

What type of truck are we talking about??
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

That makes sense. I'm running an AX10. I can see that the Bully or Berg may not need as much weight in the wheels.
the02stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Yep, you've got it. I run a Bully and it doesnt need much in the front or rear...and my axleshafts love me for it!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Most of the top guys here in Colorado run Vanquish DH with full weights up front and either empty DHs in the rear or something even lighter. This is mostly done to get a forward weight bias which aids in climbs
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote