Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: My Crazy Idea....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default My Crazy Idea....

Been thinking on the whole tires and weight problem. I am currently running bb's and air sealed tires and am happy with the results so far. Been told foam will increase the sidewall rigidity and overall performance. But when i goto that system i end up taking my wheel weight and bringing it higher. instead of all weight in the wheels below the axle center line, i only bring half of it below.

talking with others over this they speak of channeling the foam and such to allow the bb's to roll still in the bottom. this is where i got my idea. Say you took spring wire (bass guitar wires) and built cages to go inside the tire and on the rim. 4 circles, 2 on rim, 2 pushing against the tread, with spacer pieces to keep them apart and on the edges. This would give the sidewall strength needed, and also allow for tire flex around obstacles. This would also allow you to run an foam free environment for many other weight options. One idea so far is heavy water (calcium chloride).

I am in the process of asking musician type people what they would recommend for a string # that would be strong enough to hold up, but soft enough to flex as needed. I would appreciate any idea's or comments on the topic.

Kyle
Nootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I imagine it would work but the bounce factor might come into play like if the tires were pressurized with air, but try it you may be on to something
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

well i am going for a light crawler. get the lowest GC with the smallest ammount of weight. i don't think i will have much problem with bounce as already with air locked tires my shocks are set up just right. and when i do get the traction hop, my rc is still light enough it doesn't get squirly and bugger off.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Default results

keep us posted on the result of your experament.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Since this is quite an experiment, I'd recommend picking up a complete electric bass string set so you can play with string thickness/stiffness. Go for the cheapest set, you won't be worried about how they're going to sound. ;) You should be able to get a cheap set for 10-15 clams.

Two things I can imagine with my limited vision: the cage may interfere with your rolling weights and, working with the ends of the bass/instrument strings may be interesting. The strings are flexible yet strong when there's some length to work with, but making tights wraps or bends is going to be tricky, as the strings consist of wire wrapped around a solid core, and the outside wire may unravel at the end(s) after you cut it.

Last edited by JeepinOR; 11-06-2009 at 09:05 AM.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

if thats the case, do you know of any oter coiled springs that are small enough? it would be perfect to get some shaft seals and rob the springs out of there.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

You may be able to braze or weld the ends together.

Possibly even use a good adhesive shrink tube to join the ends to each other like a butt connector.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
keep us posted on the result of your experament.
so far i have been making my solution of potassium chloride. you can dilute 74grams of powder in 100ml of water. thats 6oz per 100ml. HEAVY.

BUT mixing it has proven to make things very hot. almost melting my bottle.

UPDATE 2

i mixed up all the chem i had, and it worked out to about a pound per tire. they are almost full and with that alone the overall stability of the tire is quite amazing. it doesn't fold over as much as the air alone. But i noticed that when it does fold over now it actually folds flat allowing even more tire surface for grip. but with the weight i have i am already noticing the hi-teck 645mg is not quite cutting it. thats alot of weight to be turning now.

Last edited by Nootch; 11-06-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

like this ?
vinyl tubing with shock oil to keep BB's rolling, glued into a loop.
this is going to be your lowest weight possible as the tire rolls the BB's stay at the bottom.

If you go to the local gas station or any shop that does tires ask them for the balancing weights ( i got 12oz for $5. ! sure neats the hobby shop. then curve them into a half circle and stick them on your rims, channel out the foam to make room for the weights. your weight above the the axle is equaled out because of the weight below.
Attached Images

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 11-06-2009 at 06:17 PM.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:00 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

i run mayhem CDPs to keep my weight low
same concept as BBs but you have a full foam and you dont have a thousand bbs rolling around
life_livin is offline   Reply With Quote