Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Nova foam vs. Proline 2 stage oversize foam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Nova foam vs. Proline 2 stage oversize foam

I am trying to decide what foams to run in my Losi Comp Crawler.

Tires: HB Rovers Medium/ Blue

Rims: Custom .95" delrin beadlocks

Terrain: anything from slick beach rock to lava rock to sprayed concrete (but mostly jagged river rock and concrete pretty grippy)

Temperature: I live in Ventura, CA, it is usually in the 70's or 80's rarely dropping into the high 40's in the winter.

Rig Weight: 4.5lbs-5lbs. Absolute max weight will be 5.5lbs

I was planning on getting the Prolines because a good buddy is running them and they have been performing pretty well on his rig (which weight about 5.5lbs at the moment). I thought they were just a little soft, but I am going to be a little lighter. Than I ran across the Nova foams that are just a few bucks more and everyone has been raving about them. I like the fact that they are not memory foam, and will be consistent no matter what the weather is. Upon further reading I have found that most people are running these in rigs weighing from 6-8lbs much heavier than mine.

So what do you guys think? Anyone have any input running the nova's on a light rig? or should I just go with the proline's that should work in my rig?

Thanks
Steven
sbarnesvta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2010, 11:54 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Start with the full nova's and adjust from there, that is a pretty light rig, but IMO, Crawler InNovations foams work, they are literally a drop in and run foam. If it came down to it, you could aways do some minor trimming.
jeeper_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper_05 View Post
Start with the full nova's and adjust from there, that is a pretty light rig, but IMO, Crawler InNovations foams work, they are literally a drop in and run foam. If it came down to it, you could aways do some minor trimming.
X2

I have been running these foams for the last few months. I run a 6 1/2lb berg but have not had to trim them at all. Greatest part is it doesn't matter if its 20 degrees or 90 degrees, they are consistent. If its a really light weight rig, you can easily trim them up.

I love most of Proline's products, but I will never again run a memory foam.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:18 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The Nova Foams are a tunable foam. The inner foam is easily seperated from the outer, and you can narrow the inner foam to soften the overall feel (the inner bulges out more the wider it is). Also, since you are running really light, you can channel the inner foam around the circumfrence of it, allowing the outer foam to "fall" into the channel that you cut.

The beauty of the tuning is that everyone has their own preference and you can set the foam up to what feels right to you.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:37 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I recently removed the Pro-Line Two Stage foams in my rig in favor of the Nova Foams. The Pro-Line's worked well, but the Nova's work even better!!! Save your self the money and trouble and go straight to the Nova's.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:00 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Nova's, without a doubt.

I run a 4.5 lb. rig weighted to just under 5lbs. Nothing else comes close And the customer service Eddie provides is invaluable.
Rocks R. Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks R. Good View Post
Nova's, without a doubt.

I run a 4.5 lb. rig weighted to just under 5lbs. Nothing else comes close And the customer service Eddie provides is invaluable.
X2. I have been running these since the V1 foams came out and I have been very happy with them. They are easily tunable to your prefered driving style and the customer service is top notch!
CRSMacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
I recently removed the Pro-Line Two Stage foams in my rig in favor of the Nova Foams. The Pro-Line's worked well, but the Nova's work even better!!! Save your self the money and trouble and go straight to the Nova's.

x2

I switched because of the temp. changes. Memory forms change Nova foam don't.

I really did like the Pro-line dual's untill His came out.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:22 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

NOVA'S! I usually narrow my inner foam by about 1/2" and I cut out the hard glue seams. I re-glue the inner seam back together with some stuff called UHU POR. It is kind of like rubber cement, but does not get as hard. Then, after that dries, about 15 mins, glue outer foam to inner foam with a few dabs of glue on outside of inner foam. Do not glue the seam on the outer foam,it will stay together from the glue between the foams. IMHO,it works very well.
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

DOUBLE DUECES,,,,,,....you wont be dissapointed with the novas foams....
dezmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Well just like the others say, Novas are the way to go. The prolines are nice but they are too soft and they tend to shift around in the tires if you don't glue them. The inner ring in ther prolines is too small, if it was a larger diameter like novas then it would be a bit better. With a rig as light as yours, depending on tires you may have to do a bit of tuning with Novas foams. This would mean grooving the inner foam to get them soft enough.

The prolines work really well on lighter rigs but because of the memory foam, they are a little temperature sensitive.
You probably won't notice much of a difference at your climate, but in Indiana where temps change a lot more, the Novas are a lot more consistent. Proline memories don't really change much from 60*-80* but lower or higher than that, you will notice it.
Novas are consistent from 25-100*!!
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #12
RCC Addict

heres another vote for the Nova's double deuces, i ran/run them in my grabbers and they worked great, my rig was a little on the light side so i trimmed about 1/4" off both he front and rear inners and they worked even better!!! thats all ill be running from here on out, i run them in my losi cc, and even my scalers tires, save your money and not waste any time. .. . get the Nova's!!!
IDnewcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

WOW........ I didn't think it was going to be so one sided, but order has been placed for the Nova's.

Thanks again guys
sbarnesvta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarnesvta View Post
WOW........ I didn't think it was going to be so one sided, but order has been placed for the Nova's.

Thanks again guys

You will love them. The quality is top notch with them too
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

NOVA'S He delivers an awsome product and even better cust service
racer - x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #16
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Wow guys, Thank you so much for the kind words and your support of the product and me. I am truly honored.

In terms of tuning on a very lite weight crawler with narrow wheels, here is my suggestions:

1. Sipe or Groove the rovers, especially since they are the blue compound. Make the tires as soft as possible so the foam does the work.

2. Start by narrowing the inner foam only. Always leave the white foam full size. In the front, remove 1/4 off the width. In the rear, remove 3/8 off the width. I use a nice sharp razor blade to cut the foam. The inner foam is nice and hard and cuts easily with a sharp razor blade and a steady hand.

3. Test and tune from there. If you decide to not sipe or groove the rovers, channeling the inner foam for more forward bite might need to be done. I suggest a small sanding drum in a die grinder or dremel to channel the face of the inner foam with. It sands a nice round channel into the foam that allows the outer foam to crush into. Again, test and tune.

I spend hours running with my local guys and use a lot of there trucks as guinea pigs. I sipe and groove there tires in different patterns, try different foam combos, crawl on different terrains, etc. I guess I am a bit of a nerd when it comes to tires and foams. I enjoy making custom tires and custom foams. I can't leave anything alone and modify everything. And once again, thank you to everybody for the very kind words about the product and my service.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Hey Eddie you deserve it you have always been willing to jump in and help people way before you offered your foams so it's nice to see you be successful with your foams thanks buddy.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

nova justgot mine and love them!!
KrawlerKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #19

Another vote for the Novahs.... I ordered two sets 1 for my 2.2 running white rovers( excellent combo) and a set for my 1.9 running flat irons, Eddie also included another set of 4 white foams for the 1.9 I assume for tuning as the grey is fairly stiff.

Installed and all I can say is great product

Thanks Eddie!!!!!!

Again thanks,
Brent
Mrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #20
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Hey Eddie you deserve it you have always been willing to jump in and help people way before you offered your foams so it's nice to see you be successful with your foams thanks buddy.
Thank you Norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrblue View Post
Another vote for the Novahs.... I ordered two sets 1 for my 2.2 running white rovers( excellent combo) and a set for my 1.9 running flat irons, Eddie also included another set of 4 white foams for the 1.9 I assume for tuning as the grey is fairly stiff.

Installed and all I can say is great product

Thanks Eddie!!!!!!

Again thanks,
Brent
The free foams set I sent you are the 1.9 single stage over sized foams and are a new foam I am having tested. I sell them with my cut n shut cobra tires. I have them being tested in other tires and they seem to do well in the new 1.9 rovers. Here are a couple threads talking about the new 1.9 over sized single stage:

Crawler InNovations 1.9 Cobra Foams

And the other:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220732
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote