Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Rovers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Rovers

I picked up a set of white dot rovers and have been running them the last couple days. I know you guys already know this, but they are AWESOME tires. Its almost ridiculous how much more traction I have now. Haven't found a climb yet that I can't climb due to loss of traction.

I could use some Nova's, but there a bit rich for my blood. I'm thinking of heading to the craft store in the next couple days and making my own foams.

This thread is pointless for the most part. I'm just so pumped about the increase in performance that I had to say something about it
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Try siping them and they get even better!!!!
BADASSPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Even if they do, I don't think my rig requires a better tire lol
Old 03-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

This is the better tire i had tried
philgoods9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #5

Proline dual oversized foams work so far for me.
imotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Get the Nova 5.5 foams. There worth every penny.
Gear Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

stretch your stock rover foams over thies.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTJU2&P=7
TANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Really? Why aren't more guys doing this? Sure beats paying 25 bucks/pair for Novas (not knocking their performance, just price )
Old 03-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
RCC Addict

thats a nifty idea
meffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray D View Post
Really? Why aren't more guys doing this? Sure beats paying 25 bucks/pair for Novas (not knocking their performance, just price )
people like the stick with what works. I've been using this set up and have had great success. you can buy different stiffness inners and tune to your liking.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like a killer idea to me. I think the stock foams work decent but I agree that it needs to be a bit stiffer and taller to fill out the tire and get the lugs to stiffen up. The stock foam has no problem stretching around the inner? I could find out for myself but I don't wanna tear down my tires/wheels.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

i stretched them over and the inner was kind of deformed but i used my fingers and kept working it around and around then stuffed the wheel in and it was good. It was pretty tight so i wouldn't worry about them shifting once inside the tire, but if you want to be sure I've used hairspray between the foams.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Good deal.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I tried all different things to make my own foams and as well as using the stock rover foams stuffed into a thin layer of memory around them from some panther foams and I thought it worked great. I then gave Nova my vehicle specs and spent the money on the 5.5 double deuces and like a flash I had four foams that were pre designated front and rear. I slapped them in and all i can say is WOW, you definitely get what you pay for!!! I am all about doing it myself, not jumping on bandwagons and trying different stuff but to me these foams just flat out work better than any of the homemade stuff i have tried. They are very predictable, They don't deform or fold over, they handle undercut's like a champ and when you need to stick the front across a gap they don't deflect like the other foam combo's I have tried. I know this is sounding like a infomercial for crawler innovations but I am just over tearing down bead locks all the time trying to tune foams, just my opinion
goodoldlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I checked both of my LHS's and neither have firm inner buggy foams. RC shops suck around here for crawlers. They carry NO crawler specific stuff (I wasn't lookin for anything crawler specific, just sayin). I'm breakin my beadlocks down as I type. Gonna see if I can find anything around the house that will work, I've got a few sets of go fast tires I may be able to steal foams from. If not I may hit up the closest craft store and see what I can come up with.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray D View Post

Just a heads up there on your price.The Double Duece 5.5" foams from Nova are 24.95 for a set of 4 .
The Proline 2 stage are 11.99 a pair so 24.00 dollars for 4 .I do not see that Nova's are very high priced.Plus a great honest guy to deal with.
Dennis P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Oh whoops. Just checked his site. I dunno why I was thinking 25 bucks a pair. Maybe cause everything else is sold in pairs. I suck haha.

I may be able to rationalize spending that much for new foams. I'll do some tinkering in the meantime.

I found some smaller foams in some 2.2 street tires I had, and stuffed em inside my stock rover foams. The inners are still soft, but just adding the material helped. It was juuust enough to take the dimples out of the tire. I've yet to run em, but here's some pics of how they squat. ~5.5lb rig, 60/40 bias.

At balance point (entire weight directly on rear tires)

Tried to create a 'sharper' obstacle.

I still think it's gonna be pretty dang soft, but it'll be better than what it was.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

looks just about perfect, but you will want a stiffer foam as the inner for the side hilling...

Last edited by TANK; 03-12-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Got it out on some rocks today, definitely an improvement over just the stock foams. Stiffer inner would be good, but this'll do for now.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:12 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I'll jump in here as i have just got my Rovers (Blue) and found the stock foams were a bit small, no surprise there as I had read it a hundred times.

I ran them stock to get a bench mark and now have lobbed in a ring of polyurathane packing foam to take up the slack. This ring of foam now make ther tires a bit taller and narrower and increases the predictability of what they will do on the rock.
Side hilling is only marginalally better and the climb is better but some of that is down to the increase in GC for breakover.
I will try another "shim" of foam as soon as I can find something a little thiner. I currently have added a ring of 20mm foam but can see that 10mm would be better.

Remember that RC stuff here is limited and quite expensive so we have to improvise, that is the Kiwi way anyway.

There is no doubt the Rovers are good, good foams will make them insane.

Last edited by Simon.O.; 03-14-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Simon.O. is offline   Reply With Quote