Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Wheel with no hex?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Wheel with no hex?

Are there any wheels, or wheel hubs, that have no hex? Something that just goes directly onto the stub axle and drive pin?

I realise that in many cases the hex helps hold the stub and bearings together, makes wheel changes easy, allows use of offset adaptors and scale hubs, and so on, but I have a design in my minds eye for a new wheel and I was toying with the idea of just making the hub to install directly onto the axle, with a slot for the drive pin, with the usual nut and washer to hold it on. Less parts, less freeplay. No Hex.

Any comments welcome. Thanks.

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Yes, RC4WD makes a few models:
http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=869
http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=879

There are more on their website...l
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Are you wanting something for scale looks for a comp truck?

As JeremyH said RC4WD makes some. But if you don't care about looks I know some older style buggy rims are like this specifically my RC10 has this design on the rear you could probably find some older 2wd buggy rears that are 2.2 and just like you want

Link

Here's one example they are plain but cheap
gordieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Vanquish RF hubs are made that way.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I remember Topcad has them too, multiple offset choices ...
mir4dor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:24 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys.

Just to clarify, this is for an AX-10 comp rig and I plan on using the same diameter, offset and backspacing as the stock wheel. Looks don't matter here, the form will follow the function. I will need to have the rim custom made though, there's nothing quite like it on the market as far as I know. I figured it would be simpler and cheaper to make if it has no hex, just like the RC4WD wheels (not that they're cheap! ), and even simpler if I could just buy a hub and bolt it in.

I couldn't find any seperate pin drive hubs on RC4WD's site, the wheels that have it look to be all one-piece. The wheels that appear to have seperate hubs all seem to be hex drive, and I couldn't find the hubs seperately? The Vanquish hubs are an option, but they are still hex drive. Plastic will not hold up on a comp crawler, I think.

I was also wondering if there are any negatives to the pin drive, no hex idea, but it seems it's been done before so I'll assume there's no problem there.

I appreciate the responses. I need to discuss it with the machinist to see which way it goes from here. Thanks.

Cheers.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:11 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Issues with no hex, pins that fall out and forever buying drive pins. Plastic solution, don't use plastic hexes. I have found little to no issue with "play" in the hexes compared to lash and other slop in the rest of the drivetrain. If you go with a milled pin interface just make sure it is tight on the pin or it will shift under stress. Most high stress apps use alum bolt on hexes to avoid any pin movement (movement + force = bent/broke)

RC4wd should have a pin to bolt on config deal for the 1.5 scaler rims. I think it is a insert vs a hex on the back. You will have to email them since I do not think they sell these pars separately.
http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=999
[edit] OK n/m just saw it says hex mount.

OH WAIT
http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...oducts_id=1017

I would worry more about gear lash and driveline lash from the dog bones than a wheel hex.

Last edited by Madkoifish; 03-16-2010 at 03:26 AM.
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:40 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Some folks just glue the hex into the wheel.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Madkoifish, thanks for the info. I believe you about pins and plastic, and the slop is really not the main issue. The main thing is that I want a wheel rim of my own unique design. I don't care about the wheel centre and spoke area as long as it fits my AX-10, and the hub is also somewhat optional. I am checking with the knowledge base here to see if there's anything fundamentally wrong with my plan and to ask about alternatives. So far the responses have been great.

I figure if I'm going to have a custom wheel made I have the choice of how to mount it. I think it will cost me more to have a hex milled into my new wheels than just having a slot cut for the drive pin. A ready made, bolt in hub like the ones in your picture or the Vanquish ones linked earlier would maybe further reduce machining cost. And given a choice of one piece assembly vs. two piece, I'd prefer one piece.

My wheel rim design is to test some ideas, nothing about looks. Custom machining in very small quantities is damn expensive so I'm looking for the simplest hub arrangement to hopefully reduce machining cost to a point where I can proceed. You've all given me plenty of choices, so now it comes down to costs. I hope it fits my wallet!

Thanks again and cheers.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Figured as much, I think the drilling and tapping for a hub might run as much as a hex. It all depends on if it is CnC or hand done. A hex is 6 holes and hogging. A pin if they have the size is drop and it is done. One of those hubs like linked would require hand tapping. Long and short is you should probably talk to your machinist about it.

I totally follow you on wanting something different from what everyone has. It is part of what got me into these things back in 2004.
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
dkf
Rock Crawler

Wheels with no hex and just a slot is OK if you use a roll pin in place of the standard pin. The roll pin presses in and stays put. Otherwise the stock pins fall out all the time and are a pain in the ass. I just use aluminum hexes myself and shim the axles to take out play and seat the hex flat.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

dkf, I'm not real worried about losing the pin. I'll expect it to drop, I'll be ready. I think some locktite might be appropriate to just glue the sucker in. I'll stay with dowel pins though, they are very much stronger than roll pins. Yes, a roll pin will stay in, but they are really meant for something else. You use them as a fuse to protect gears and shafts when overstressed, they are designed to shear first to protect other components. I don't think they'll be strong enough here though.

Madkoifish, from the pics it looks like the hubs are tapped, so the wheel just needs to be drilled. Let's see what the machinist says. The difference in my design won't even be visible when they're all mounted up. I hope to see a big change in performance though.

Cheers.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Just glue the hexes into the wheels you have.
_NICO_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by _NICO_ View Post
Just glue the hexes into the wheels you have.
Sorry, not an option, because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
The main thing is that I want a wheel rim of my own unique design. I don't care about the wheel centre and spoke area as long as it fits my AX-10, and the hub is also somewhat optional.

I figure if I'm going to have a custom wheel made I have the choice of how to mount it.
I haven't had it made yet!

Cheers.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #15
dkf
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'll stay with dowel pins though, they are very much stronger than roll pins.
There are more than just one type of roll pin out there. You would be surprised how strong some of them can be.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote