Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Robras! 5 7/8 tall cut n shut tires by Crawler Innovations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Robras! 5 7/8 tall cut n shut tires by Crawler Innovations

Here is a custom set of Robras I made for a RCC forum member. They are constructed using 6 Panther Cobras and 8 white dot Hot Bodies Rovers side walls. These come in at 5 7/8 tall when constructed like this.

This particular set is made with white dot super soft Panther Cobras in front and red dot soft compound Panther Cobras in the rear.

The foams are standard 5.5 tall foams narrowed to 2 inch in the front and 1 13/16 in the rear. When mounted on a 1 inch wide rim them feel very good. I included tuning rings just in case the customer needs added height from the foams.

I am testing a set of these that are 5 5/8 tall and use Losi Rock Claw side walls on my 2.2 berg. I'll try and post pictures of those later.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Oh yeah! Those turned out nice. I will be calling you this evening about these. You gonna let me try out yours on my rig?
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
I am testing a set of these that are 5 5/8 tall and use Losi Rock Claw side walls on my 2.2 berg. I'll try and post pictures of those later.
What are your thoughts of the set you're currently testing Eddie?
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

These look freaking sweet
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

OMG i want a set to bad i prob cant afford a set of theses.They are awsome
Tklan Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Plz let us all know what u think of the set ur testing!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

do you have a before and after pic
Old 06-30-2010, 10:33 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

holy sht eddie,,those are tits,,,i like the way they came out,,,hmmm
dezmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Let us know how they perform in your tests! I made a set of really tall skinny Flat Irons and they folded over like crazy on 1.9 wheels. I widened the tread up a bit and put the back to 2.2 sidewalls and now they are much better. Ide like to see how these act sidehilling etc, would be nice to see some tall skinny tires that work!!!
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Ok, so I'll let the cat out of the bag. These are my tires and so far with the testing I have done they hands down out perform my white rovers. I will post some pics when I get a chance and write a better review. Eddie told me he tested his set that he made for himself and also had good things to say about them. I believe the quote was "this are the best tires yet" or something like that! Perhaps he will chim in and give his thoughts.

Pics in a day or 2
Old 07-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Swa-eett
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I had a chance to run Eddies over the holiday weekend and I was very impressed. They ran every line that the rovers and sedonas would but with a little more ease. They side hill like nobodies business and hold there line extremely well. He should be starting on a set for me very soon. This is deffinetly a tire to have in the arsinal.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #13
Ultimate RC Decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
I had a chance to run Eddies over the holiday weekend and I was very impressed. They ran every line that the rovers and sedonas would but with a little more ease. They side hill like nobodies business and hold there line extremely well. He should be starting on a set for me very soon. This is deffinetly a tire to have in the arsinal.
good to know!!

i was doubting the side hill performance. what are your thoughts if the lug have a groove down the center of the outer lugs?
BOWTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWTIE View Post
good to know!!

i was doubting the side hill performance. what are your thoughts if the lug have a groove down the center of the outer lugs?
Or like what Wally did and knock off the edges on both sides of lugs.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWTIE View Post
good to know!!

X2
I was very curious about side hill performance, also. I'd still like to hear Eddie's opinion
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Yes surprisingly these tires do side hill very well.

I know that the 2 differant sizes don't have the same characteristics, but I have a notch in the outer lugs on my 1.9 cobras and I don't believe that it helped or hurt the performance in any noticable way.

I plan to leave the 2.2 robras just as they are for now.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #17
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I now have three battery packs on the set I made for myself. Mine are not as tall as the ones pictured in the first post. I am using a three stage foam in the front and a dual stage foam in the rear. When the rock was dry, awesome performance. I ran two battery packs and they did everything and then some. We had rain yesterday and I went to test after the rain had passed. No good. They slipped off the line on slick rock several times. It did other things just the same, but not with the authority it did when it was dry. So I don't think this will be a good wet tire.

Here are some details:

Test truck:
T1E Moon Buggy Berg weighing 6 pounds 2 ounce RTR

Front wheels:
1" wide VP DH, fully slugged
460 hubs
firm 5.5 inner, medium 5.5 inner tuning ring, soft 5.5 outer
White dot super soft compound cobra tire

Rear wheels:
1" wide VP SLW V4
475 hubs
firm 5.5 inner, firm 5.5 inner tuning ring, 5.5 outer
Red dot soft compound cobra tire

As for side hilling, OMG this tire is amazing. I have to admit at first I was surprised, but after some thought, I am not. In the 1.9 cut n shut size, the 1.9 rover and 1.9 cobra are nearly the same in terms of performance. I feel the 1.9 cobra side hills better than the rover, but sometimes I find the 1.9 rover climbs better on certain rock. So it would make sense that the results would be the same in the 2.2 size.

Although a lot more testing is needed, preliminary results are pretty astonishing. It works better than I could have expected and the tall tire height helps the diff clearance ssooo mmuuch. It's a very fun tire to drive. The tire is fairly skinny and with the 460 hubs it never gets into the springs. It is very easy to hang a tire on a ledge and then just have it pull you right up and over.

One thing I am eager to see is if it continues to have the crazy forward traction after the edge is worn off. In the 1.9 size, I find they just keeping working as they wear. Sometimes in the Super size Plowboy once the edge is gone they don't work as well. So time will tell as the tire wears. Another thing I really like is no side lugs. It seems like this tire recovers easily when in a precarious position. I definitely need to get this tire into competition and into the hands of some more capable drivers. It seems like it works that good on dry rock.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I'm definitely interested, I would also like to have ya narrow my dirty Harry's. Nice work once again

Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #19
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Farmer View Post
I'm definitely interested, I would also like to have ya narrow my dirty Harry's. Nice work once again

Later,
Farmer

Thanks Farmer.

Here is all the info on narrowing bead locks:

Custom bead lock machining offered by Crawler Innovations
Old 07-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #20
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

OK, here are some pictures of the set I made mounted on my son's berg. They are not that tall when mounted up, but keep in mind I was aiming for a 5 5/8 tall tire.

Notice the little shreds of rubber already hanging off the front tires with only four battery packs on the tires. The super soft Panther compound is just that - super soft.

A good amount of diff clearance for a berg.

Very high belly clearance. This truck could stand to be lowered a bit with these tall tires.

Just under 5 5/8 fully slugged.

Right at 5 5/8 in the rear.