Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Boss Claw Foam Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #61
Quarry Creeper

I finally got them mounted on my Mayhem 7's. Definitely the new tire to beat! I was pulling lines that my siped rovers couldn't. I am using Nova dual stages with 4oz in each front wheel.
bivens22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #62
Rock Crawler

I ran three packs through mine, RED, this past weekend. The grip is nice. However, I think the stock pink-ish foam are a bit to stiff for my losi. I'm right around 5.85lbs. I'm going to load up my front DH's and add another 3oz to my rear SLW's. See where that gets me. Also had bit of trouble mounting as well. Nothing I couldn't manage though.

Great tires
Sneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #63
RCC Addict

Any one have any vid of these in action? ASAP?
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowngreen View Post
Any one have any vid of these in action? ASAP?
I can't seem to embed at the moment, but here you go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=138xmmPfZR0
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #65
RCC Addict

Thanks for the vid. I couldnt wait though, I bought some anyways. Look forward to trying them out. I LOVE new tires.

Nice video btw.

Last edited by slowngreen; 07-12-2010 at 08:15 PM.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Location: In the middle of Cleveland-Troutman-Mooresville, NC

Great job on the tires. I should have some pictures of them on some rocks this weekend.

duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #67
Rock Crawler

Where can i get these?? How do they run on a heavy rig??
Tklan Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #68
Rock Stacker

I am running shock foams with trimmed proline outer stage mem foams to fill in the gap. Im really liking the smoothness but have yet to try my regular lines and my mountain. I was out of town when i mounted them. I have to admit this is going to be like learning my rig all over again after my Rovers. These tires make you commit to a line and if its not right they will let you know. I am starting to think that the rovers made up for my lack of driving skill when bashing and these will stick like glue when i apply them to the lines i know.. we will see soon as i am back to my stomping grounds and cant wait to hit the\my rocks. Maybe ill learn to read the rocks better with these
zagscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #69
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagscrawler View Post
I am running shock foams with trimmed proline outer stage mem foams to fill in the gap. Im really liking the smoothness but have yet to try my regular lines and my mountain. I was out of town when i mounted them. I have to admit this is going to be like learning my rig all over again after my Rovers. These tires make you commit to a line and if its not right they will let you know. I am starting to think that the rovers made up for my lack of driving skill when bashing and these will stick like glue when i apply them to the lines i know.. we will see soon as i am back to my stomping grounds and cant wait to hit the\my rocks. Maybe ill learn to read the rocks better with these
Yea, i heard these tires won't hop like the rovers do, which may be a good thing and may be a bad thing, i hate it though when the rovers sit there and hop with out biting anything,
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #70
Rock Crawler

I mounted up my set of Boss Claws last night. They are definitely a little more difficult to mount, but not terrible. It took a little extra time and attention to mount them on my narrowed DH's, but nothing you can't work out. I started with the stock pink foams in the rear and Nova 5.5's in the front, with the inner ring at 2" wide. I ran a pack through them on my little test course and they were pulling lines that other tires have to work hard at. All those little knobs seem to work great, especially on those climbs where larger lugged tires required more speed or seemed to hunt for traction. I will know more tomorrow after our weekly comp.
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

I'm having a heck of a time making sure that the bead stays seated and not pull out. I'm using Axial beadlocks and have tried all techniques to get them mounted. Any other ideas? Chino, you want to mount these for me too?
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.M. View Post
I'm having a heck of a time making sure that the bead stays seated and not pull out. I'm using Axial beadlocks and have tried all techniques to get them mounted. Any other ideas? Chino, you want to mount these for me too?
When I was mounting mine up, I would take the time to go around the bead edge and press it into the bead lock channel with a small, flat blade screwdriver. This was with the bead lock ring mounted with the screws just barely into the threads. This way I could look from the inside of the wheel and see that the bead was started in the groove. Not as easy as some tires, but not as difficult as I have seen either.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #73
Y-Town Crawlers

Due to the nature of the compound, Boss Claws can be a little bit tougher to mount then normal tires.

To make it easier, thread in all 6 beadlock screws, but only tighten them one or two turns. Make sure that the bead is fully seated in the groove before tightening down any further. If even one spot slides out of the groove, the tire won't stay mounted.

Once the tire is seated all the way around the rim, slowly tighten the screws in the normal criss-cross pattern. With some rims you may have to stop two or three times and pop the bead back into the groove. Once everything is tightened down, you should be good to go.
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

Here's another video.
In the video I'm running Nova's dual stages in the front and stock in the rear. Ive got some oversize proline mem foam that im going to try in the front. I think that the fronts are wadding up a little to much for me.
Hoppa's Moonbuggy on Boss Claws.
Hoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #75
Rock Crawler

I love me some boss claws I'm running novas duals at all four corners was going to run stock reds in the real like I saw a lot of people running but it felt too soft for my likes. Only was able to run on a few lines around the house and walked up stuff my siped rovers would need to work at getting up. Hope they will hook up at the local spots just as good. Guess I should say I'm running an almost 5 pound lcc
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #76
I wanna be Dave

How are these tires comparing (in height) to say mounted up rovers, sedonas, etc? I have searched a little but couldn't find actual comparision pictures. I know they are 5.3" out of the package, jw with running a slightly firmer foam, what the heights would be.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #77
Y-Town Crawlers

Nice vid Hoppa

Here's something new for you guys to try out
http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA7696

Performance Oversized Memory Foams

These are slightly bigger then Proline's Oversized memory foam, and much denser/slower reacting. In my .7" SLW's, they have great support and still wrap up nicely on big vert climbs. They also worked very well in the 1" SLW's and stock Losi rims.

The best part is that they absorb big drops very well. You can see them in action in parts of the German Supercrawl video.

I'm running them with "internal support" from the wraps of tire weights inside my wheels on my 6.5lb rig. They should also work very well for lighter rigs with no weights wrappped inside the tires.

Watch the drop starting at 1:05 in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=138xmmPfZR0

My rig was one of the few to stick this all weekend

Last edited by Del Monte; 07-14-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #78
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_744 View Post
How are these tires comparing (in height) to say mounted up rovers, sedonas, etc? I have searched a little but couldn't find actual comparision pictures. I know they are 5.3" out of the package, jw with running a slightly firmer foam, what the heights would be.
Here's a pic from Nabil (e-hills4x4)

The Boss Claw here is supporting weight too

Last edited by Del Monte; 07-14-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Very nice. Alot closer than I thought. That could lead me to buy a set in the future.

I made a set on a taller 2.2 sidewall and got them about 1/4" taller than the rover mounted.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #80
Rock Crawler

Mine measure 5 1/4" tall mounted on my 5 lb 10 oz truck. I used the stock pink foams in the rear and Nova 5.5's up front. So far I am liking the Boss Claws a lot, but full comp tonight so I will know more after that.