Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Boss Claw Foam Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

Well took them to a local crawl spot and these tires wouldn't hook up for nothing
The side hilled awesome but I couldn't get them to dig and grab or climb very well. Kinda made me mad after fiighting with the beads for a long time only to find out my foams are not right. Think they were maybe too stiff? Running novas front and back rig is like 4.7 lbs lcc
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #82
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish72 View Post
Well took them to a local crawl spot and these tires wouldn't hook up for nothing
The side hilled awesome but I couldn't get them to dig and grab or climb very well. Kinda made me mad after fiighting with the beads for a long time only to find out my foams are not right. Think they were maybe too stiff? Running novas front and back rig is like 4.7 lbs lcc
That's an amazingly light LCC. I wonder if that's part of the problem? If you're running sub-5lbs on a comp crawler, you will definitley want a softer foam. The rigs I've seen perform well running Boss Claws and Nova's were in the 6-6.5lb range.
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #83
Rock Crawler

maybe i just need some weight then lol ok put it on the scale and its about five pounds i dont have any weights in the rear wheels and im running stock losi wheels

Last edited by squish72; 07-14-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #84
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Monte View Post
Nice vid Hoppa

Here's something new for you guys to try out
http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA7696

Performance Oversized Memory Foams

These are slightly bigger then Proline's Oversized memory foam, and much denser/slower reacting. In my .7" SLW's, they have great support and still wrap up nicely on big vert climbs. They also worked very well in the 1" SLW's and stock Losi rims.

The best part is that they absorb big drops very well. You can see them in action in parts of the German Supercrawl video.

I'm running them with "internal support" from the wraps of tire weights inside my wheels on my 6.5lb rig. They should also work very well for lighter rigs with no weights wrappped inside the tires.

Watch the drop starting at 1:05 in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=138xmmPfZR0

My rig was one of the few to stick this all weekend

Is that for one foam or all 4 foams, it doesn't say on the description, also what would be a good non memory foam for cold weather, i'm assuming some nova DD
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #85
RCC Addict

So the front mystery foam is reviled....ordered mine up...Going to try them on
my .7's
fa1rch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #86
Rock Crawler

Quote:
maybe i just need some weight then lol ok put it on the scale and its about five pounds i dont have any weights in the rear wheels and im running stock losi wheels
You definitely need to add some weight to the wheels, or go with a super soft foam setup, one or the other.
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

i have like three and a half oz per wheel in the front what is everyone else running? what would be better a light rig with soft foams or a heavy one with the foams im running when using the lcc? my axial liked to be light
Old 07-14-2010, 11:49 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Monte View Post
Nice vid Hoppa

Here's something new for you guys to try out
http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA7696

Performance Oversized Memory Foams

These are slightly bigger then Proline's Oversized memory foam, and much denser/slower reacting. In my .7" SLW's, they have great support and still wrap up nicely on big vert climbs. They also worked very well in the 1" SLW's and stock Losi rims.

The best part is that they absorb big drops very well. You can see them in action in parts of the German Supercrawl video.

I'm running them with "internal support" from the wraps of tire weights inside my wheels on my 6.5lb rig. They should also work very well for lighter rigs with no weights wrappped inside the tires.

Watch the drop starting at 1:05 in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=138xmmPfZR0

My rig was one of the few to stick this all weekend
Have you tried them in your DH's yet? Can i also ask what you run for weights in your DH's? I dont have a scale to see total weight on my DH's, but i run 2oz inside wheel weight. Not sure if i should run more inside for greater adjust ability with bullets or not.

Quote:
i have like three and a half oz per wheel in the front what is everyone else running? what would be better a light rig with soft foams or a heavy one with the foams im running when using the lcc? my axial liked to be light
Alot of people run 2-3x what your running and are happy with it.

Last edited by Fattymojo; 07-14-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Fattymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:56 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

OO I cant wait for mine to come, along with my ESC back from Horizon as well..

I ordered me set of SLW, and 3 set of the adapters.. I hope there right? and boss claws (red).. but im leaving the foams optional for now.
DirtyDezPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #90
Rock Crawler

most people put the front wheel tire and foam weight around 13 to 16oz in the front.
tomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:12 AM   #91
Quarry Creeper

I am confused about the hex hub for the SLW.. which size would be recommend? the place I am ordering from only has 600, 350, 225 in stock.
DirtyDezPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:34 AM   #92
Rock Crawler

losi 600 get two pairs of them and the one pair of losi 475.
tomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:16 AM   #93
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomer View Post
most people put the front wheel tire and foam weight around 13 to 16oz in the front.
Thats what I thought I was running but I'm guessing that's per wheel I set it up for the pair of fronts.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:26 AM   #94
Rock Crawler

My first couple of packs through these were pretty good, some slipping on lines I pull fine w/ Comp Claws, but overall I was pleased. Mostly On the extra clearance gained. They dig/burn'd great. Running DH's w/ 3 sluggs, stock pink-ish foams, about 13.5oz ea. Rears Slw's 1in, stock foams, about 7oz ea.

Went out yesterday for a couple more packs, on totally new rock. Added all six sluggs to ea. front wheel, now 15.5oz. Added .5oz to ea. rear, 8oz. The Lcc was pulling crazy stupid lines. Very impressed! My rig is slightly less than 6lbs, 5.92lbs to be exact. All on stock pink foams. I'd say start there. I've got PL over sized foams, I'm thinking about wrapping them over some stock gray losi claws foams
Sneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #95
I wanna be Dave

DHs with stock pink foam in front
SLW 1" in rear with sedona foam around some proline inner foam.
The fronts are fatter than the rear. Its working but the front is hard and doesn't like digging on ledges when it's up and light.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #96
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Is that for one foam or all 4 foams, it doesn't say on the description, also what would be a good non memory foam for cold weather, i'm assuming some nova DD
This is for a pair (2) foams. I haven't tried them in the rear tires yet, but they do work very well in the fronts.

They are a little softer then what I normally run in a DH procomp wheel, however on a lighter rig they should work very well. My favorite setup so far with these memory foams has been on the .7" or 1" SLW's with 2 wraps of weights inside the tire for foam support.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #97
Rock Crawler

Why do you fill the silvers work better in higher temps and on higher traction rocks? B/c the red compound is too soft w/ higher temps? I noticed my red's slipping w/ the temp outside around 96+
Old 07-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #98
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneed View Post
Why do you fill the silvers work better in higher temps and on higher traction rocks? B/c the red compound is too soft w/ higher temps? I noticed my red's slipping w/ the temp outside around 96+
That's correct. On some rock, the red compound starts to be too soft and slick when temperatures are 95+ It really depends on the type of rock too. My reds hook up better on smooth rock no matter what, but my silvers seem better on granite when its really hot.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #99
Rock Crawler

What your choice for foams whenever the weather cools down a bit. Say below 65? What's the cut off temp for mem. foams?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #100
Y-Town Crawlers

I've used these memory foams down to around 60-65* without any problems. They do start to stiffen up, but they aren't as bad as some memory foams out there.

When its really cold, I've been switching to a dual-stage foam or even a standard rock claw foam that has been trimmed.