Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Cougar + Rover

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Question Cougar + Rover

I got to thinking, anyone tried combining a Rover (white or blue) sidewall with a Panther Cougar "center tread" since I hear the sidewalls on them are mad "soft" and also you get the "handy dandy side lugs" and the tires higher

Either im barking mad or this is something. What do you guys say, I don't want to go investing a ton of $$$ on some tires and find out its a flop but sometimes its worth a gamble
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
im barking mad
kmnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

it would work. I did it with leopard sidewalls, that is what i had laying around. search "taller cougar"
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:49 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Eh... Friend of mine made a set. When you get rid of the cougar sidewall it gets rid of most of what makes the cougar work. The tread isn't that great and throwing on a stiffer sidewall just puts more expectations on the tread.

The don't really work well IMO.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I just made a set the other day for shits and giggles. They turned out at exactly 5.5" tall loaded and on the truck.

They actually work VERY well. I had to soften the foam setup considerably until they started to hook up like an old cougar.
Yes, the sidewall stiffness does make a difference, but it allows you to run a softer foam which helps forward bite. But I will say that they do work better on a wider wheel. I was running a 1" wheel and they don't work as well as they do on a wider wheel.

They work VERY well on CLEAN and DRY rocks. Just like the old panthers, if there is a little dust or dirt on the rocks, they start to spin. But if the rocks are clean and the tires are clean and sticky, Watch out! They do work pretty well. These were my first attempt at making my own cut and shut tires. Its really not that hard and I think they turned out pretty darn good.

Finished Tires,

Next to a Stock Cougar and a Sedona

Next to a Stock Cougar.

I made these tires for ONE competition, I will never use them again until I go back to that course next year!

Last edited by jcboof; 08-28-2010 at 07:34 AM.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Ok thanks, so its another case of "theory works" but in real life, forget it unless your running on super clean rocks I think ill stick with my Rovers for now and find some other tires to use my 35% off coupon for (expires at the end of the year)
Old 08-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

There is no theory here. Just plain facts. Cougars are a good tire and in ideal conditions, they will outperform a lot of the tires out there. The rocks I built these tires for are very clean rocks with little to no dust. This one location will be the only place I ever use them. Just because I can always count of the rocks to be clean and dust free.
Normally when you run this particular course, your tires come off the rocks just as clean as when you started.

Last edited by jcboof; 08-28-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Lightbulb

Gotcha, well except for a few rocks they are far from "ideal"... I think any tire when it gets dusty will be prone to spinning depending on the surface your on. Take the granite at a park by our house, it is all slippery from kids running on it, my Rovers (white) only grip when they are real clean and tacky, when they get dirty, its bybye grip and hello spinning. I will look into picking up a set though to mess around with.

Side question... how well do the "V" shaped treads like "Plowboys?" work on a crawler, I have seen pics of them cut-n-shut down, and they look real interesting to try
Old 08-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

A buddy built up some 6" tires using the Cougar sidewall and Rover tread. He took first at our comp yesterday with them...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
A buddy built up some 6" tires using the Cougar sidewall and Rover tread. He took first at our comp yesterday with them...
Hmmm interesting... im really getting tempted by the Panther Cobras (super soft). I have rovers and they work but I like to try new stuff... Am I behind the curve or are they still any good They look like, in theory, they would work on stuff covered in lots of "crap" (which can make finding grip darn near impossible with small pin tires).

After my Rover/Eclipse hybrid, I can really see how custom tires are so popular... they do work good, till the Eclipse that Adam Drake bashed the snaut out of decide they are a "lil to worn out"
Old 08-30-2010, 02:37 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

@ jcboof, did you see improvement of performances cutting your sedonas?
thanks
Angelo
Italy
guidetti_angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidetti_angelo View Post
@ jcboof, did you see improvement of performances cutting your sedonas?
thanks
Angelo
Italy
Are you speaking of Siping the Sedonas?? Yes, i've had my Sedonas siped since day one and they perform incredibly.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
Are you speaking of Siping the Sedonas?? Yes, i've had my Sedonas siped since day one and they perform incredibly.
i mean siping, sorry for my english eheh
thanks so i will try siping my set of sedona
guidetti_angelo is offline   Reply With Quote